Tioga Blue Dragon Tire

The Blue dragons feature the new High Energy Rubber compound which lowers rolling resistance and extends tread life. The circular based knobs transition into squares with slits that allow deforming for better grip. The Cylex 127tpi casing help keep it superlight weight.

[Dec 10, 2010]
rhythmtech

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, mud clearance, not super heavy for being a fat 2.3 tire. Great for fall leaves over dirt.

The rubber compound is kind of bouncy like you would expect from a rubber ball so watching pressure more closely is necessary. loose rock trails with baseball, golf ball, and monkey head sized rocks is less than ideal. Wet rock is scary.

I rode these tires on a recent trip to Chattanooga TN and northern GA (Ellijay). They were quite possibly the best tire to have chosen for the leaf covered smooth quick single track found in both of these areas. The hard knobs poked through the leaves and added a huge margin of confidence to my riding over leaf cover. Back home in St Louis, I found them to be a little disappointing on the mixed crushed rock trails. They were okay with some speed over monkey heads and limestone slabs, but the knobs broke free somewhat less predictably than I would like.

Panaracer Fire XC, Bontrager Jones, many others...

[Sep 04, 2009]
OKI790

OVERALL
Strength:

wraps around the small stuff nicely without rebounding, lightweight.

wears down rapidly, slow roling, cant take solid hits without feeling like its gonna pinch flat, squirms and feels like its going to wash out when cornering.

read lots of good stuff about this tyre which is why i bought it, it was rated very well for rolling speed and handling on wet stuff.
after 5-6 months of using it ive never felt comfortable with it.
it drags like hell on the flat stuff and saps the energy out of you even at high psi's, cannot take any hits without feeling like your about to dent your rim.
it does grip fairly well on the v.small slightly loose stuff but doesnt hook up well on anything solid and leaves you railed.
even on the loose stuff you cant turn/lean heavily as it twists on the rim and feels like its about to peel off (even though its seated very tight, it has that squash ball feel, perhaps it would perform better on wide rims).
the little grooves on each block of the tread wear off in next to no time as its soft compound (slow rebound)and the grooves are very shallow.

not sure why it got good reviews, for the price there are a lot nicer tyres out there (dragon on the sidewall looks cool tho).

basicly if your going downhill slowly on a smooth dry course and dont plan on turning or braking heavily it'll be ok,,for anything else theres better tyres for the price.

various

[May 16, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Suprisingly fast rolling speed for a grippy tire. Good in the mud

none as yet

Pretty cheap tire, nice grip and suprisingly fast on the road. Good winter tire

Hutchison scorpions

[Feb 05, 2009]
Brazilian Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

light, cheap, rolling, good grip.

not flat resistant.

These tires turn and climb very well, yet they roll fast. They work fine even on wet downhill trails with mud and roots. I like jumps and drops but I like to pedal uphill too, so these tires help to keep my bike not too heavy (I save up to two pounds)yet I can keep up to my friends on their heavier bikes when downhill, and the Blue Dragons corner as well as their mignons! I know some tires (like maxxis mignon) are more resistant, but the blue dragons are light! Never had a pinch flat, even when droping 6 feet with as low as 35 psi, but I had several flats caused by small thorns. This may be because of the wrong tube size (small) I was using.
A lot of the complains you read are from people who ride it in the asfalt... these tires where not made for that.

[Apr 02, 2006]
Nate Henry

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice-n-fat cushy ride. Decent, predictable traction.

Wears rather quickly

This is a good tire! I was suprised at how much faster I've been taking downhills. This tire made my hardtail SSSOOOOOOO cushiony and smooth. On my Trailbike the width really helps handling, but the HT is where this tire shines. While a heavier tire than I'm used to, I feel like I'm faster and expending less energy. The tire slides out sooner than some but is still predictable. I run it front and rear at about 31-34lbs and weigh 180lbs.

Fire XC 2.1/ Vertical Pro 2.3

[Jul 06, 2007]
Liam Renaut

Everything

do NOT buy these tyres. That is all.

K-RADS!!!!

[Sep 21, 2005]
kevin english

the tire

These tires bite me not the trail, I've only had 'em on for about ten rides and they're shot. They didn't grip in Cr. Butte, CO and they sure don't bite on my local trails with rocks. If you need bite when hopping the rear wheel onto a rock they just spin out causing some ridiculous action. Braking while on loose trails will send the front tire skidding. Run away from these babies. They might do well on other soils and rocks, but not where I've been on 'em.

kenda kinetics, conti survivors

[Jul 03, 2007]
Brandon Faliszewski

OVERALL
Strength:

Decent grip for the first 8 months or so, I've ridden them hard for a year and the front still has plenty of tread left

Super thin side walls, ridiculous amount of flats

This is a terrible tire no matter what you're doing because they're not great for dirt jumping becuase they have quite a bit of resistance, and they're terrible for downhilling/freeriding because as soon as you drop them down to 35 or 40 psi, they pinch the tube and cause flats. Even when I keep my tires at 60 psi, I still somehow manage to get a stupid amount of flats (7 or 8 in the past year), despite being careful about what I ride through. Overall, I do not suggest buying these tires and if they come stock on a bike you buy, I would suggest changing them unless you're ready for LOTS of flat tires.

Maxxis Minions (2.35 front and rear)

[Mar 08, 2006]
Pat
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

-Good Grip
-Nice and wide

-Back tire has worn down a small ammount due to constant road use.

I dont see why people say these tires wear fast. I have had these tires for three months and have rode to work and back on the asphalt every day. The only wear is that the middle row of knobs on the rear tire are slick now. The tire still grips great on trails, though.

Kenda Kinetics

[Jan 14, 2007]
Devin
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Grippy in the dirt and they look pretty good.

tread wears down really quick even if you dont skid. You cant pump them up too much.

I would recomend this tire only if you ride in dirt. IF you ride skate parks and stuff like that dont buy em. THE TREAD WEARS DOWN WAY TO QUICK??????????

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.