Surly Knard (Plus) Tire

Best Price At

The Surly Knard’s block tread pattern has been carefully researched, designed, and tested. The profile is shaped just slightly edgy to maximize traction on corners while keeping rolling resistance low on straightaways. The closely ...

[May 10, 2013]
Tom

OVERALL
Strength:

27tpi version gives great bang for the buck and has a fair bit of rubber on the sidewalls for durability. Absolutely eats loose, rocky trail conditions but is still fast rolling.

27tpi is noticablly heavier but half the price of the lighter-weight versions. Tread could pack with mud in the right conditions.

I've been on my Pugsley since model year one and I'm thrilled with all the new fatbike stuff coming down the pike. I use my Pugs as my Mountain Tandem Simulator in the spring and summer because of similar traction and handling. The trails I train on when they're damp are fast and tacky, when they're dry and the motocross guys have been chewing them up can best be described as Legos over Hardpack; lots of loose, sharp rocks. By the end of the season last year the sidewalls on my Larry's looked downright fuzzy from scrapes. The Knards are impressive, no wonder they ended up on Krampus, as a do-it-all tread and the 27tpi versions save some cash and have a fair bit of rubber on the sidewalls. The cheaper tire is noticeably heavier and did add about a pound to my bike. They are square-ish in shape and do have some of that old Endomorph feel but it does help in climbing traction in loose conditions compared to my Larrys. I haven't tried them on slickrock to see if they autosteer like the Morphs. A great all around tire and the 27tpis are a value if you ride in the sharp stuff. Nice Job Surly!

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.