Specialized The Captain S-Captain 2Bliss Tire

• Butyl wrapped bead

[May 18, 2012]
Andre

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice profile and lug pattern. Decent grip in mixed conditions.

LEAKING SIDEWALLS!

I really don't understand how a tire with such permeable sidewalls can be marketed as 'tubeless'. These things leak like sieves where there is raised lettering on the sidewall. The should change the designator from '2BLISS' to 'TRUPISS'.

[May 17, 2011]
frdfandc

OVERALL
Strength:

These are pretty fast due to the close center tread, but grip well in turns due to the larger spaced side knobs.

Working in a LBS that doesn't sell Specialized, not used to paying retail prices.

These are a pretty good all around tire for most conditions that I ride. Loose over hardpack and straight hardpack they perform very good. Not the fastest, but pretty good. Not for mud. You would need a dedicated mud tire.

I ran these for almost a year, including an XC race season

I'm going to give them a 4 for the over all rating, because I have only used one other tire on the bike - Geax Barro Race - not even close in comparison to these.

[Feb 27, 2011]
marzjennings

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight and pretty fast in a straight line.

Zero, zip, no grip in corners.

Didn't know anything about these tyres and in building my first 29er I thought I'd give them a go. Initially they felt fine, holding the trail well as I got used to the new bike. But as soon as I started to get comfortable with the 29er wheels and trying to hold more speed through the corners they couldn't take it. Currently conditions are dry, but not dusty, great conditions where I can usually rail every corner. Just not with these tyres. I varied tyre pressure, but it didn't seem to help.

I going to try out some Maxxis Aspen's next.

Lots

[Feb 03, 2011]
JRD64

OVERALL
Strength:

Couldn't Say

Skinny sidewall made them useless for me

These tyres came with the bike from the shop floor. Brand new, and somehow the sidewall was pierced in the first 10k of riding without even hitting the trail. Fortunately I was only a couple of k's from my local bike shop. After stripping the tyre off the rim, and seeing how thin the sidewalls are, I'm not sure where the hell you would ride where these tyres would be considered to be appropriate. I just replaced both the pierced one and the front one - I doubt I would even keep these as spares. I have no affinity for any other brands - this is a first time ride experience.

Maxis UST Ignitor

[Dec 30, 2010]
Luijo
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Rolls Fast

Walls are to weak

I found it to be a good all around tire,cornering in dry terrain decently good. Very fast. Not so bad a grip.

Maxis Cross

[Sep 05, 2010]
tjschatt

OVERALL
Strength:

Good grip & control, Rolls with little resistance

Sidewall is extremly weak, blows out under normal riding load.

I will never purchase these tire again, I thought since they were expensive ang got good reviews they would last, but they did not. The sidewall blew out on a fire trail riding mild.

Bontrager, kenda nevegals

[Jun 07, 2010]
Ray

OVERALL
Strength:

Good traction and overall ride quality.

Sidewall blowouts.

These tires ride great but blow out at the sidewalls after a few months of riding. This happened with both front and rear on my bike. A friend has also had the same problem with Specialized 2Bliss tires. They went too light in the sidewall.

Bontrager, Maxxis, Continental, etc. etc.

[May 21, 2010]
aussieidiot

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, good grip, fast on hardpack

the side walls. see below for a full explanation

I figured these tyres would be good since they are the S-Works variety and 2Bliss as well.

They had worked well for 6 months before I had a blowout on the rear and figured I had scraped a rock and caused the tyre to bulge and blow. I repaired the tyre since it still had 75% tread left.
Then the front blew out while the bike was resting prior to riding. On closer inspection the sidewalls were showing canvas in many spots. I chose not to ride on those tyres and when I pulled them off, I had many spots where the canvas was about to open up.
I did not replace the tyres with the same kind, given the price and how weak they are.

Pulled mad skids to wear them out though. :)

Nothing note worthy. (Hutchinson Scorpions)

[Feb 07, 2010]
Tzvia

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight. I have only used them in back (running an Eskar up front) and find they grab well on climbs on loose over hard and hardpack. Rolling resistance is low, and converting to tubeless makes them even better.

Yes, yes, thin sidewalls. This is not an armadillo tire. This is not a gonzo tank tire. This is not a DH tire. Gash the sidewall on those sharp rock gardens and drops? Say oops I bought the wrong tire and move on. I ride XC/trail; don't do drops, and our rock gardens are not sharp basaltic glass and broken granite that can slice a thicker tire in a blink. It's more sandstone, loose over hard, roots and rounded rocks.

If you are looking for a good XC/Trail rear tire, not UST heavy, this tire comes in 3 versions and 2 sizes.
S-Works- lightest weight-but understand THIN SIDEWALLS. You don't get something for nothing.
Control- maybe 60gr heavier, thicker sidewalls may be a better choice depending on conditions.
Armadillo- heavier, flat protection.

Choose correctly and enjoy a very good rear tire for general trail use. While I haven't yet used them up front (running the Eskar and love it) I plan to get the 2.2 at some point but for now, am using the 2.0 S-Works in the back only. They corner great and don't feel skittish in loose over hard and never feel like they are about to break loose. When they wear out, I will buy the Controls even though I have not had an issue with the S-Works. They have low rolling resistance and good bite, and get even better tubeless. Only 4 chilis as I do worry about the sidewalls.

Spec Eskar, Nevegal, tioga, shortbocks, WTB Wolverines and Weirwolfs.

[Dec 17, 2009]
Sykleguten

OVERALL

Hey Guys! Your reviews are worthless unless you say what type of model you`re riding. The S-works is of course a race tire and therefore shall be treated like one. If one, like me, is going to ride rocky, rooty, wet xc trails, then the control model is the right one. Buy the tire that suits your riding style and write your review from there.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.