Specialized Nimbus Armadillo Tire

Bead-to-bead flat protection for ATB commuters or street denizens.

[Aug 17, 2015]
J Baumann

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, zero flats riding over a lot of roadside debris. Good wet traction.

Tread separated from carcass...although to be fair, these tires are carrying huge weight and I sometimes overinflate them.

I have commuted on these tires in wetter-than-normal conditions (olympic peninsula, Vancouver Island, and Upper Michigan) for 6 years. They're fast and they handle road debris very well. Unfortunately the tread has been separating from the carcass. These tires have been in hot and cold and I'm 275 lbs, frequently carrying a whole shopping cart of groceries...it's enough to make a burly steel frame flex...so they've done pretty well under those demands. It's long past warranty stage, and it's just flaps peeling away, so when these show up I just seal them back in place with shoe goo and keep riding. I've been doing that a long time now and it's a testament to the strength of the carcass that they continue to roll well...and handle well... and resist flats.

Panaracer tourguard. Various cheapo 26X1.5 slicks.

[Jun 17, 2015]
Ed

OVERALL
Strength:

Never had a flat

Tires came apart. Tread, sidewalls separated within a month. Rough ride. Noisy.

The first set came apart during a tour immediately after installing the tire. After the tour I took the tire back to the shop and it was replaced. The replacement tire came apart 2 months later. I called Specialized and they assured me they'd never heard of this before, and surely it was my fault somehow. I told them the bike was kept indoors and the tires kept inflated to 60-80 psi. They said take it back, so I did and it was replaced again. The last replaement tire came apart worse than the first two, after 3 months. I ride a recumbent bike and have always used Kenda tires on the front, which have always performed well and never came apart. I'll be using Kendas on the rear from now on as well.

Kenda Kwest

[Sep 15, 2014]
Brent Lee Bundy

OVERALL
Strength:

I have bicycled across the country three times.I averaged a flat tire every 200 miles prior to putting Minibus tires on. The total distance I travel was 11,758 miles.I Bicycled 5000 miles flat free after putting Minibus tires on.One and third time across the country.

None!

in the future I will only use Nimbus tires.

[Mar 17, 2013]
joeinchi

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice looking tire, puncture resistance

Poorly designed, harsh ride, slow rolling

These were newly-mounted to a used Gary Fisher HT I bought through CL. Once home, I removed them and mounted them on my pavement bike, a '94 Marin rigid mtb. Until then, the Marin rode on Continental SportContacts, a very fast, supple, 26x1.6 slick.

The difference between the Armadillos and the SportContacts was night and day. The Armadillo's are stiff and feel heavy, even though they're only an a few ounces (50g) heavier than the Conti's. The heavy-duty puncture resistance also make for a relatively harsh ride. With a supple compound, you simply glide over road imperfections; the Armadillo's let you feel every little pebble.

This harshness also makes the Armadillo a poor off-road tire. While I would not expect such a tire to do well on technical trails, I did expect a fast, smooth ride on hard-packed bike paths--not the case. The overly stiff Armadillos are SLOW on bike trails and make you work much harder than you would with virtually any tire out there.

These are great tires for slow, urban commuting where puncture resistance is the ONLY concern. If you want speed and comfort, as well, I would definitely look for a different tire.

[Jan 21, 2013]
Kate

OVERALL
Strength:

They protect you from flats caused by road debris pretty well.

They are very difficult to out on when new. The side wall is not nearly as strong as the rest of the tire and that is where most of my problems have been. After about 3 months of riding for fun and commuting the side wall separated from the wire. It was under warranty so my bike shop replaced it. One month later the same thing happened. I'm not over inflating them and there is nothing wrong with my wheel that would cause this.

They do a good job of protecting from flats caused by road debris but the side walls seem weak which is where all my problems have been. It's very upsetting when you commute to work and find a flat waiting for you or take your bike out of the car for a weekend of riding with friends to find a flat caused by a blown sidewall. Overall I don't trust them anymore.

[Jul 19, 2012]
edgar

OVERALL
Strength:

Awesome, until they fall apart.

The tread comes off the tire.

About to go to the bike shop after having the rear tire replaced once already. Simply stated, the tread comes off the tire. I had the first tire for less than a month before this became a problem, and the replacement lasted just as long... going in to see if the warranty covers it, never buying these again.

[Sep 21, 2011]
Alaskalarr

OVERALL
Strength:

Rolls good. Never had flat. Rode my first set 6,000 miles and only changed because wore the tred through. Only tie I trust to not flat.

Next set the tred seperated on both tires. Called Specailized and they never said they have had that problem. Waiting to see it they will replace.

Love the tire but wont buy again if Specailized doesn't replace them. I ride them on packed gravel and pavement and they are great. Have to be careful in the rain on fast corners.

[May 27, 2011]
BikerJ

OVERALL
Strength:

Rools Smooth and adds extra bump absortion.

Heavy, Tire ply came apart

I loved these tires! Rolled over some rather large debris. Handled well in loose gravel and rain (for not haveing much tread). Problem with thes tires though, they fell apart. The two plys seperated. Maybe I got some from a bad batch, I don't know. Specialized is sending two brand new tires of my choice. I'm going to try the Infinity next. I am giving a low rating because they fell apart. I would rate them high on how they function though.

[Jan 10, 2011]
wozza62

OVERALL
Strength:

Great puncture resistance and durability. Top commuter tyre.

None that I have come across

Put on bike in March 2009 and covered over 6,500 kms since (now Jan 2010) with only three punctures, all from sizeable glass and wire. With previous tyres I was getting an average of a puncture per week. I ride in all weathers on road and on concrete paths and these have never let me down. Had to throw out the rear today after nearly two years of daily commuting as it started to delaminate, however the tread was wafer thin by this stage.
Fantastic tyres and will definitely be getting more as soon as the importer can get them in stock.

[Dec 27, 2010]
Kerry Hales

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable as a rock. Great wear and tread life.

Hard as a rock. Can be tough to mount.

I am more than pleased with this product. The delamination issue that someone mentioned is a flaw that should be under warranty. I have well over 2000 miles on the rear of my recumbent and ZERO flats. Several goat heads pulled out, several shards of glass. One small nail. They certainly will not resist a 1/4 or better nail, but nothing would except a solid body tire.

Biggest con is how heavy these beasts are! They are also a beech to put on when new. Honestly, I do think the Marathon Plus is a better tire, but this one is nearly as good.

I can highly recommend this tire if you have bad luck with glass, nails and goat heads.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus, Continental Gator Skin

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.