Specialized Ground Control 2Bliss Ready Tire

[Oct 16, 2015]
Roger Sanchez

OVERALL
Strength:

Grip, low rolling resistance, light

Leaks air and sealant through the sides. Sides are paper thin.

I bought this tire to replace my wornout Geax AKA 29, and at first I really like it. Rolls very well in hardpack, haven´t tested in the mud much, but looses air pressure and sealant through the sides. If I do one ride in the morning, have to pump air again in the afternoon, otherwise looses about 15 psi, not good. My Geax AKA tire was about 180g heavier but could hold the air for about a week!
I have about 700 miles and I can see will last longer than most tires. If Specialized fixes the ugly sidewall leaks they could be an excellent tire.

Geax AKA
Continental Race Kings
Maxxis Crossmark

[Dec 21, 2014]
Gregon2wheels

OVERALL
Strength:

Good all around tire.

Mud. Loose surface (leaves) over hardpack.

This is a jack of all trades, master of none tire. Works as a front or rear tire. The weight is reasonable, but it is not a race tire. Toughness is reasonable so long as you have Stan's or some other fluid in your tire. Durability is reasonable - good for about 1500 - 2000 miles. Rolling resistance is reasonable. Grip is good, but mud will pack up in it. Grips well in hard pack, moderately soft surfaces (but not mud), and rocks.

[Sep 06, 2014]
Barryb Taylor

OVERALL
Strength:

Grips well in most conditions, rolls and climbs excellent, read reviews of tearing side walls , I just got back from nw Washington tight single track I don't think I missed hitting anything on the trails with sidewalls absolutely no problem, great in hard pack, ok in to moderate inn really wet rainy conditions, good in loose ,great all around tire

my mountain biking skills

excellent tire for the money in my opion

[May 30, 2014]
Mountainbikingviking
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to put on and easy to seal up.

Tears on any sharp surface.

I made the mistake of buying this tire twice, the second time while vacationing and riding in Virginia.I used it on the rear and both tires tore while riding in Ohio. The second time it tore within two days of purchase. Ohio is not known for rough single-track so if you live anywhere with rocks I would only suggest this tire if you need an excuse to get sealant all over yourself while you pop a tube in trailside...

Rampage

[Apr 15, 2014]
eran balint

OVERALL
Strength:

good grip , fast , good mad shading
I bought them 2 month ago and have no puncher
I had many tires including this is the best tire I have ever had
my bike is santa cruz tall boy 2 and I use the tubeless version

5 star tire

[Dec 17, 2013]
steg211

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability, traction, weight, rolling resistance, tubeless setup.

Came stock on the rear of my 29" Stumpjumper Elite and I love this tire.
I've put 400 miles on it this summer and fall/winter. From hardpack to light mud and I've yet to think twice about it. I ride aggressively and steer with my rear brake alot. I like how predictable it is.
It does seem to have less volume than other 2.3" tires.
I usually run about 20psi.

Specialized Purgatory
Continental race king

[Sep 28, 2013]
Danno

OVERALL
Strength:

S-Works 2.3" Ground Controls reviewed here - don't see a separate category for them. Best blend of high traction and low rolling resistance I've experienced in memory. Light weight for size - mine averaged 575g each for a pair.

Still not a true 2.3", but they are bigger than the 2.1" tires in my lineup so I can't complain.

I swap tires around for the changing conditions of seasons, to ride long or race, for new or different terrain, or just out of boredom. I was on a Kenda Blue Groove (front) + Nevegal (rear) kick for years. Great traction, but rolling resistance I could feel. Ran Maxxis Aspen 2.2 semi-slicks for a year. Fast and furious, but slickery as expected. Schwalbe Nobby Nics showed me that fast pedaling tires could have big knobs, but I was not happy with their cornering ability - tall side knobs would fold over and have me puckering. This year, I tried a pair of 2.3 S-Works GC's and have zero complaints. They are light, grippy, and roll fast both on and off road. My typical conditions are loose over hard and mega rock gardens. I've set many Strava PR's, which has me thinking I've lost nothing coming from semi-slicks or chunky Nevegals.

See tires mentioned above

[Jun 24, 2013]
Chuch

OVERALL
Strength:

Great rear tire, weight savings, ease of mounting tubeless, low rolling resistance

lack of depth

Just bought a 2012 29 stumpy, LN, that came with the 29X2.1 GC on the rear. I've put in about 50 miles on it now and it is a rock solid tire. Some people may describe it as an "all arounder" but I think I would just say that it just does its job. It's one of those tires you just dont have to think about back there and I like that. It climbs well, breaks well, handles mud decently, hard pack, roots and sand....its a consistent tire. If I had to replace, I think I could use a little more size by going to the 2.3 that is now available. It rolls fast and grips awesomely well for its weight. I may go with it on the front once my Purg wears out since I think the Purg is a slight overkill for my terrain. I dont ride in loam or in mud very often. Most of our trails are HP, sand and roots. Dont hesitate to give it a try.

Maxxis Ranchero, WTB Wolverine

[Jun 23, 2013]
fsr29erATX

OVERALL
Strength:

Better than some. Not horrible when functioning. Not that heavy. Tread appears like it should grip better than it does.

If you ride actual technical singletrack, you will rip your sidewall. Medium grip, not bad, not good. I don't trust it for corners at speed, feels skittish.

Last weekend I sliced the sidewall like it was paper on front tire 2.3 29er GC. This weekend I'm doing an xterra race on a course without any sharp rocks and the rear 2.1 opens a 1/2 inch slit. Ugh, Dnf, thanks specialized.. These came Oem on my camber Running tubeless and Stan's couldn't seal up a 1/2 inch cut... I did replace the front after previous weekend fail with a purgatory, now I'm worried that will also fail on me...I will say the purgatory has 2x the grip tho, liking it so far but obvious not trusting paper sidewalls. Rear will be replaced with ird fire xc 29er... The only tire that hasn't let me down.

Sb8, panaracer fire xc 26er, ird fire xc 29er, purgatory 29, jones, smoke, dart, etc..

[May 05, 2013]
Florijan

OVERALL
Strength:

Brillilant all rounder, does almost everything great. Wonderful rolling and acceleration given the amount of grip it gives. Great grip both front and rear for XC / trail riding. Low weight. Nice price compared to the competition. Handles all types of weather well.

The stated 2.5 bar (35 PSI) minimum really *is* realistic, the sidewalls are too flexible to run the tire at lower pressures. Handles mud well, but not too well.

I switched to this tire because my Nobby Nic rear was wearing out too fast. I wanted a cheaper rear tire, so I got the GC Sport at first, the 2.3 width. I fell in love with it, fast! Grip was comparable to Nobby Nic, the nice volume gave good flotation, but the tire rolled and accelerated uphill more like Racing Ralph. Compared to another tire I was trying out at the time (Rubber Queen UST, 1150 grams!), the weight and acceleration was immensely better. I ran the Sport version tubeless with Joe's sealant, no problems, but required a compressor.

Then I figured I'd try the Control version up front, I like to have matching tires, and the price (EUR 30) is a lot nicer then Schwalbe's (EUR 50). The Control version actually came at below 600 grams, even though the official weight is 650, hats down to Specialized! Mounting the 2-Bliss-Ready was super easy with a floor pump. Then I rode it during the whole winter, and it was fine, but I decided to reserve judgment till dryer trails enable me to press the tire a bit harder... Well, spring came, started to ride it a lot more, and am now totally convinced in it. The tire rolls beautifully, the rounded profile works great on harder surfaces. Still, on dry trails it inspires confidence, putting some weight on it makes it hold well when cornering. All things considered, this is the best tire I ever rode, and at almost half the price of the competition!

Two minor issues make them not absolutely perfect for me. First, once the tire went off the rim when I had it inflated at around 1.8 bar. The stated min pressure is 2.5 bar, and I think that is reasonable. Most of the time I rode it at 2.0, and I think that will do 98% of the time, but if you start pushing it on a rocky, fast technical trail, you just might catch the wrong rock and experience an instant de-presurisation. Happened to me, will run them at 2.5 from now on, fairly high for a 2.3 tire, but the grip is still good. The other thing is that this tire will slide a bit when cornering in mud, the threads aren't that deep. It is not per se a mud tire. I still use it year-round and will continue to do so, but at that transition in spring when you start speeding up, but the trail is still occasionally muddy, well, I lost grip. Never fell though...

All in all, love it and it is by far the best tire I know. Add to it the pleasant price, and it's a no-brainer for me: I am sticking to it.

Schwalbe Nobby Nic, Racing Ralph, Smart Sam, Maxxis High Roller 2.1, Conti Rubber Queen.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.