Specialized Fast Trak S-Works 2Bliss Tire

Designed to be the fastest cross country tire on earth with input from Team Specialized. Features exceptional light weight, low rolling resistance and large volume.

[Aug 23, 2017]
Chris

OVERALL
Strength:

I got them for free so what could go wrong?
Weight
Mounting
Rolling resistance
Great on dry debris free hardpack

Narrow for a 2.2 even when mounted on wide rims (underwhelmed when measured on a 19mm and a 39mm rim)
Grip on anything other than dry debris free hardpack.
The ensuing hospital visit after finding that out.

They came on a set of rims that I bought off of a friend. They weighed significantly less that the Kenda Karma's I had mounted (860g vs 585g). At first I was impressed. I took them to a local trail (Wahlfield park) and tested them out on the hardpack. They worked great on the tail and repeated runs on the flow trails including the climbing back up. I really enjoyed the lower rotating mass during that part. If dry hardpack is all you have with no roots, bridges or rocks I can see how they would be a great tire. Sidewalls are super thin so be careful.

However, the second they get into anything other than hardpack, all bets are off. I do most of my riding out by the lakeshore where the trails are a bit looser. In just 1.5 miles I slid out twice on easy trail. I hit a loose spot in a flat wide corner and the tires just turned off like a light switch and I was sitting on the ground. Laughs were had I brushed the dirt off figured it was a fluke and pressed on.

Near the bottom of an easy descent (16.1mph on the Garmin) approaching a bridge, I set up my line, cut through some looser soil (never had been a problem with other tires) and the tires turned off again. Bike when out from under me and I landed hard on my arm, slid off the side of the bridge, bashed my helmet on the side of the bridge, and was laying in the clay creek bed with the bike on me. Sprained wrist and bruised ribs. I took the tires off my bike the next day and refuse to ride them. I put the well worn Kenda's back on and they ride with no issues.

One of the other reviewers commented how they sound like a basketball and bounce/slide on even the smallest rocks and roots and that is an accurate statement. Even when mounted on a super wide rim running 22/24psi.

TL:DR
Enjoy on dry hardpack
Caution on anything else: twigs, roots, rock, etc.

Various Maxxis (Ardent, Aggressor, Minion), Kenda (Karma, Happy Medium, Slant Six) and other MTB tires

[Nov 19, 2013]
Darbnella

OVERALL
Strength:

They are black and made of rubber

Sidewalls are pathetic

The 29x2.0 S-Works came on the front of my new Epic. Did fine on gentle dry hard pack with nothing technical and trails void of any rocks. This past Sunday, I was following three more-skilled riders through some rocks, I managed to cut the sidewall. Should I have manuevered and selected a better line? Probably. Still, nobody else suffered the same fate. Stan's wouldn't seal and I flatted; I was bummed. Returned home and began researching new tires and discover that these tires have weak sidewalls and cut/tear easily. Sure enough ... the reviews are correct. Not recommended for rocks.

[Jun 10, 2013]
Sean

OVERALL
Strength:

light weight, low rolling resistance, set up tubeless very easily, grip well enough for a XC tire

SIDEWALLS

I have been through two sets of these tires in less than 6 months. I have had to replace both sets due to sidewall tears. Both tears occured on non-technical terrain. The first tear I was climbing a rocky fire road and the second tear I rolled about a foot off of a small log.

[Sep 02, 2012]
Courtney Ray

OVERALL
Strength:

The tier seems to roll okay. I am running 2.0 tires because thats all they had. I had problems getting the Mavick SLR Cross Maxx 29er wheel to setup with my favorite Bontrager 29-1 tires as well as other Maxxis tires. I was thrilled that these tires would setup tubeless and others would not. However, the tire performance really are lacking. The weight is good as a result they are fast.

Soft compound which is not good for loose over hard packed. Cornering is so bad I am not even willing to take a chance on the 2.2 size. Even slow the front tire wants to washout on you. They feel like your riding on balloons. The hollow sound of a basketball bouncing is what you hear the entire ride while going over roots and rocks. They loose air within hours and are definately over priced.

Stay away from these. The Renegades are much better.

[Aug 22, 2012]
unezridr

OVERALL
Strength:

Low rolling resistance, lightweight. High volume option 2.2"

Sidewalls are pathetic. Price is too high for the lack of durability.

I got these to run on the rear of my FS bike. I was looking for something which rolled fast and had reasonable traction. Last summer I got a Specialized "The Captain" for the front and loved it so I thought I'd try this. Wishing I'd tried something else. On my second ride in a section that has some loose rock which I ride weekly and have never before had a sidewall tear, I managed to scrape enough material off the sidewall to flat and couldn't get it to hold air even with plenty of sealant in. I had to put in a tube to continue riding. As another reviewer said: if your trails are loose over hardpack this tire is good. If you've got ANY rocks, BEWARE.

Bontrager XR1, XDX

[Mar 23, 2011]
Raher312

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast rolling, Light

Washes out in corners, tread wears fast

These tires are definitely fast however I ran them at a lower psi for the cornering purposes. If it were not for their low weight I would exchange them for something with more grip.

Hutchinson python airlights

[Dec 19, 2010]
tkehler

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light, rolls well, 'floats' nicely over hardpack, brilliant on the asphalt on the way to the trail

grip, traction, wear, and not good in the wet (that's understandable)

Great tire for racers, and on level hardpack. I rode many happy miles with this tire, in those conditions. However, when I hit a steep hill and/or some babyhead rocks sticking out of the trail on a slope, I regularly lost traction. I know these aren't grippy but I was patching out ALL the time. Not for me...

[Sep 21, 2010]
The Trooper

OVERALL
Strength:

Rolls fast. Light weight.

Sidewall tears.

I ride in loose/dry conditions. As for handling, don't be fooled by the aggressive appearance of the tread. Lean the bike over and the front tire will want to wash out. However, this tire works really well as a rear tire. I recommend something with more traction on the front.

I don't recommend S-Works tires. On a strictly dirt course, they would be fine. Add some sharp rocks and you're destined for a sidewall tear, guaranteed. Pay the slight weight penalty and use a Fast Trak Control instead. They're more durable.

Fast Trak Control

[Aug 21, 2010]
rakerdeal

OVERALL
Strength:

Reasonably lighweight

Probably cornering

The first time I rode the Epic with these tires I hit a corner I've done many times and down I went. 2nd corner same thing. But instead of saying, "I'll NEVER use these damn tires again," I said to myself, "Me and this fast rolling Specialized tire are going to find some way, any possible way, to get along with one another.

We did. I don't fall any more. I have intuitively learned to corner on these tires. They corner much differently than the Maxxis. Again: They are fast.

Maxxis Crossmark, Kenda

[Dec 16, 2009]
onlycrimson

OVERALL
Strength:

This tire grips very well and has low rolling resistance. I was surprised at how well it corners. It really is a good race tire, very light.

Maybe the price. I wish they came in a fatter size for 29ers.

Great tire for racing and hard pack conditions. I ride them through everything though. Rain, mud, rocks and they hold up well. Mine sealed up tubeless with no issues.

This was my first short knob tire.