Specialized Eskar Control 2Bliss Tire

• Low Rolling Resistance Tread Design

[Jan 12, 2013]
Fred Smedley

OVERALL
Strength:

High Volume, confidence inspiring cornering traction.

May not be the fastest rolling tire.

I got this tire used at the local Bike co-op. It had around 85%-95% tread left and was just full of goatheads. I pulled them out , mounted it n a Mavic 217 tubed on the front of a Fisher Sugar. Awesome tire! This thing sticks in the Idaho high dessert loose moondust that happens around here after two months of no rain. I did not notice a vague transition to the cornering knobs as other reviewers had claimed. I also went south to Vegas for a couple of days riding and it performed as well in the rockier landscape .

IRC Mythos, Klein Death Grip, Panaracer Smole-Dart. WTB Moto-rapter

[Jun 12, 2012]
Dave

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, stable, good traction on climbs, If you can get comfortable with the drift in loose conditions the side knobs will really grab.

These are expensive tires. I expected better durability.

I read the reviews about the weak sidewalls, but I figured the reviews were by some young guns tearing it up...no, wrong, this old and slow guy has ripped up two tires in the rocks of the Gila Nation Forest. Better to keep them on hard pack.

[Jun 07, 2012]
Vdub
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast rolling and good cornering on hard packed dirt and slick rock.

Too drifty and slippery on anything sandy, wet or loamy. Very tough to get traction using this as a rear tire on steep or sandy climbs. The sidewalls are a little weak and easy to pinch flat, as well as tear.

If you are riding mellow, smooth or hard packed single track these tires are decent. I only tried them because they came stock on my new bike but I switched tires as soon as possible (after tearing a sidewall). I would honestly Not recommend them for all mountain usage or anything with sand or jagged rocks, and there are far better tires for the money.

Maxxis High Roller and Ardent; Kenda Small block 8 and Nevegals; WTB Prowler XT and SS; etc

[Jun 28, 2011]
bipolarbear

OVERALL
Strength:

Good grip, lighter

Super weak sidewalls

These came stock on my Pitch Pro. Read the reviews and figured that the guys tearing sidewalls were just riding really rocky trails aggressively. Not the case. I wouldn't buy these tires honestly.

I was riding the Colorado Trail in a section that was not rocky whatsoever. Blew out the sidewall who knows where. Put a hole that I could put my thumb through.

I only had these tire for a few months. Just got the bike at the end of last season, maybe 15 rides on the tires and they are shot.

Ride performance: Not very stable in the turn unless you really lean them over or run super low pressure. I can't, I'm a bigger guy.

Not very impressed.

Weirwolfs, Conti

[May 31, 2011]
Wally

OVERALL
Strength:

Uhhhhhhh, can't really think of any strengths. Weight I guess (from what others are saying)?

Weak sidewalls! I tore the rear sidewalls in several places after my first ride at Sandstone Peak (rocky trail). And they never felt solid while cornering or climbing off-camber stuff. They didn't grip the "dust-on-crust" conditions we have in SoCal. Replacing with Ol' Faithfuls tonight (Nevegals). Stay away from these tires if you ride similar rocky, hard-pack conditions

Don't buy. If they came on your bike, change em out before you hurt yourself.

Nevegals!

[Jan 12, 2011]
ahracing

OVERALL
Strength:

Long lasting.All Trail usage

Awesome tire used it downhilling on rear at Angel Fire then on to Frita,Four day tour hut to hut then on to Palo Dura State park.It climbs, it corners, awesome tire does not wash out.Very tough no slices.I have completely worn the rear out then put front on rear then put on a new front Eskar.I have ridden it all over central Texas at all the race courses.Run it tubeless at low pressures with no failures.Right now I am stocking up and will ride nothing else for now.

Specialized Purgatory 26 x 2.2

[Jul 16, 2010]
Tom

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice looking, reasonable weight, reasonable rolling resistance, good grip, sets up tubeless easily

Totally suck on a 19mm rim

I bought these rims a long while back. I don't know if I ever rode them, but somehow they ended up on a set of crossmax XL's on one of my girlfriend's bikes. Not sure if she ever rode them. One day, I was eyeing them thinking "those might be pretty nice on one of my bikes". Put the wheels and tires on my Maveric ML7. Totally squirrely feeling tire, unable to ride with any confidence. Read in one of these reviews about how they aren't good on 19mm rims.
Mounted them on Easton AM Havoc rims (22mm) tubeless with stan's rhyno lite rim strips.
I have only ridden them once with this set-up, but they seem like really great tires.
Amazing how much difference a wider rim makes with a tire like this.

many: hutchinson, schwalbe, maxxis, kenda, etc.

[Jun 19, 2010]
Tzvia

OVERALL
Strength:

As a front tire, they may not be the fastest feeling, but they beat the Nevegal by a mile; grip well, hardpack to loose over hard and rocky conditions. They float well over sand up front and don't wander. Just keep up the gas and they dig right out in a straight line. Out here in So Cal, the tire that beats the sand is, in my opinion, a keeper. And so it is. I also have an S-Works on another bike, and they feel much the same. Haven't had the issues others have mentioned with 19mm rims, they fee just fine to me. Running them tubeless, they sealed up quikly with no fuss.

A little slow feeling compared with the Wolverines I was using before, but the tradeoff is better cornering and better sand handling.

A good tire if you want a good all round dry condition tire (haven't tried it in damp/wet). Hardpack, loose, sand, rock gardens (our stuff is not usually sharp), roots, and rutted trails are no problem. Good cornering grip. So far, wearing well and have had no flats or cuts. I admit, I am a finesse XC/trail rider and will scan for the best line in the rough and not just bash through, but these tires are holding up well. Only 4 chilis, they are a bit pricey and maybe a tad slow feeling up front.

Wolverines, Tiogas, Nevegals, Weirwolfs.

[Jul 02, 2009]
carl.watson

OVERALL
Strength:

light grippy high volume easy to set up as tubeless with stans kit price

very very weak and thin sidewalls.

superb in every respect until you encounter a sharp rock as i found out on my first ride out. a rock tore an inch long tear in the side wall. maybe bad luck but the sidewalls are very weak. wont use again as i had driven a long way and had a ride ruined. just fitted a pair of michelin mountain xtreme tubeless 2.5 tyres. a lot heavier but with reinforced sidewalls

bontrager jones michelin xtreme

[Jun 13, 2009]
dougifresh1

OVERALL
Strength:

Rolls well

Wears fast, so so grip in loose hardback on the rear.

Wears to quickly to consider buying again. It's light, but center knobs just melt away. Run @ 28lbs and still not great on mild wet or loose dirt over rock. Mounts easily and so far the sidewalls are ok, but only have been out a dozen times on them. Like the maxxis TNT's I'm running on the front.

All of them

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.