Specialized Crossroads Armadillo ATB Tire

From unpaved paths to the city streets, this Crossroads Armadillo 26" tire performs reliably and consistently with a smooth center tread section and substantial side knobs for traction and off-road stability. Reinforced against punctures with Specialized’s world-famous proprietary Armadillo armored casing.

[Aug 27, 2015]
Kelly B

OVERALL
Strength:

Puncture Resistance, Surprisingly versatile tread, Great 80 psi max pressure

Heavy

I ride 100 kms per week on a hard tail but have limited knowledge on tires. After getting 5 flats in one week I decided to do some homework and get some new ones. I ride in blackberry country and those thorns are ruthless on tires. I was coming from Kenda Small Block 8s which came with the bike but never worked well for me. Loads of flats, bad cornering in any conditions, downright dangerous on the front at low pressure. I finally settled on the Crossroads Armadillo as I figured it best suited my hard pack riding that I do and loved the puncture resistance.

My first ride on these was a shock to adjust to their heavy weight. It scrubbed my average speed by 2 kph. On the plus side I found them really responsive and precise in turning. I ride (in order) hard pack, pavement, loose over hard and sand. These tires were better on all surfaces mentioned, albeit noticeably slower.

I ride for the exercise so the added effort required to pedal these tires doesn't bother me. The puncture protection is worth the added weight and then some. I am running them at 70 psi front and 75 psi rear. They can give a harsh ride at that pressure but it is currently dry so I want the least rolling resistance possible.

At C$50/tire I'd say they are a bargain. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

[Sep 30, 2014]
pat B

OVERALL
Strength:

I have two of these tires. The rear tire is doing great, no issues. It is a heavy duty tire and I have had no flats over two years.

My front tire is another story. The tread is still near the original depth, but it is separating from the tire core. In spots is is almost completely off and I can lift an edge with my finger. In other areas you can see the tire web below the tread. I am an occasional weekend rider on the katy trail in MO and the creeper trail in VA. I keep my bike indoors and in good condition.

After paying almost what an auto tire costs for each of these tires, I'm really disappointed in the tire with the tread separation. Based on that experience, I cannot recommend this tire. I wish this review site allowed pictures to be posted... I would be happy to show the problem.

[Jan 14, 2014]
Damian Montaño

OVERALL
Strength:

Highly resistent to thorns.

It's perfect

It's the best bike tire I have seen.

[Jul 09, 2013]
Anchorage Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Never get flats, decent rolling resistance, very long tread life (at 8000 and still going...) in a commuting application, about 2000 miles a year. Wide pressure range tolerance. These tires are good for those that prioritize long life and flat resistance over weight - commuters, distance riders, tour leaders.

Significant investment initially, especially if you do both ends. But worth every dime!!!!! May be heavy for some apps but I ride for every reason but speed! The weight is not a bug, it's a feature for getting it off me! When the 10,000 grams are gone off me I might take a look at a tire that's a 100 grams lighter. Maybe not.

I got tired of flats or close calls. They are never convenient, just varying degrees of pain! Did some research, figured if the Armadillos's lived up to half of what was out there for reviews they would work. Got six from the LBS as I have three 29'ers. He gave me a discount for the bulk purchase, I got airline miles AND no more flats. Closest I have come is in Arizona where I had one slow leak from a thorn that managed to finally work it's way through. There I find that there is no such thing as too much thorn protection - I run the Armadillo's with Tuffy liners and Slime tubes. Seems to be the ticket; only have a couple of thousand miles around Phoenix and no fast flats. The only other thing left for the Southwest and other thorn places is to go to the thick, thorn resistant tubes. So far I don't feel the need to go that far. The other two bikes are Novara's, one a hybrid and one a road bike. The hybrid is a commuter with around 13,000 miles on it, mostly with the Armadillo's. Have had them long enough to not recall when I got them but do know there have not been any flats at all since and figure 4 years back. The tread is still good on the rear of the hybrid, may swap it out with the front later this year. The road bike was a handme down, use it a few times a year, particulary to do a hundred mile ride with a Scout troop in the summer. A bit heavy for that ride but again, no flats while many around me are fixing tires and I don't sweat gravel patches and root gardens. Have had no snake bites either; there was one stretch that was easy to get them. Can run a wide range of tire pressures, up to 90 for max performance, down to 50 or 60 works too. A bit squishy in the 50 range. I used to replace tires at two or three thousand miles or have to swap front to back at a minimum. And there was the flat issue - one spring I came home three times in a row with fast leaks. No more. So overall, worth every dime just in tire life alone, flat free, Priceless!

None, have not had to replace them!

[Jan 15, 2013]
Chris

OVERALL
Strength:

Rolls over pavement so easy. Puncture proof, at least for me so far.

Only lasted 8000 miles, still have tread left but the rubber is cracking, pretty much like all tires eventually do.Otherwise no real weaknesses.

I commute to work on my MTB, about 150 miles a week. In over 8000 miles I have had zero puncture flats. I did have 2 tubes blow, but both times it was on the rim side. Couple of reviews mentioned the weight so I just weighted mine, 959 grams. I much prefer going out and getting back flat free with a heavier tire than saving a little weight and end up patching a tire or having to walk miles. Heck, I weight over 90,880 grams, if I cared about the weight I'd loose some. Paid less that $90 for the new set, worth every penny.

[Mar 24, 2012]
Dev9172

OVERALL
Strength:

A very nice tire . Ride well . No flats so far .

To much money in Canada . $60 for 1 . A bit heavy but not much . A bit more of a workout but I need that .

Im happy I got them . I was getting flats all the time . Let see how good they are over the summer .

[Jan 27, 2012]
DOUGGR

OVERALL
Strength:

These tires are bullet proof and ride well on hard surfaces.

Stiff ride as expected which transfers through to handle bars (better wear some good gloves).

You get what you pay for if flat protection is what you want.

Bontrager H2 and H4 hard case also Schwabe marathon supreme

[Oct 04, 2011]
Wryfox

OVERALL
Strength:

Changed from Bontrager offroad race tires due to 9 flats in 3 weeks. These armadillos have been perfect in the two months, not a blip or hiccup, and no damage in hundreds of miles. These will be long lasting as they still have virtually no wear. The Bontragers had chunks coming off the knobs within the first week.

A bit faster on the road with same effort by 1-2mph.

A bit stiff, and much heavier than their website advertises. These are the Elite version that are supposed to be lighter weight..advertised as 745g, mine were ~850g each.

These are not race tires by any means, and coming from race tires required an adjustment in riding technique. Better offroad grip than I would have thought from the tread pattern, spinning only on the steepest bits, and tends to plow on turns...a few skinned elbows taught me to slow down.

Great looks, a bit pricey at first at $60 each but zero flats in hundreds of miles of on and offroad riding. Still look like new. A great compromise tire for both on and offroad, and great flat protection.

[Apr 02, 2011]
tom scheelke

OVERALL
Strength:

Bullet proof

I have used these tires for years on my MTB commuter and a comfort bike. I have logged thousands of miles on trails, rocks, goat heads, glass, without a single flat.
One set I have over 3000 miles. The price is kind of high but at what price do you sit by the hwy fixing a flat? Walk you bike out of the woods because you dont have a pump?

No knobs in the center can be trouble on steep grades. But these aren't true mountain tires. Smooth on pavement.

[Sep 05, 2010]
saigonpaul

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth, Smooth, and the right price for NO FLATS!!!!!!!!!!

None as of yet

Crossroads Armadillo Tire are by far the best of the best. I go out of my way to ride "WHERE NO ONE WILL GO" and to date, NO FLATS!!!!!! I have them on the front and rear and there are no other tires backing me up. Come on guys, be real, you will never see the girl down the path, while you are fixing a flat!! On the pavement they are super with the BUMP BUMP BUMP of the knobs from the DIRT BIKE TIRES, just SMOOOOOOTH.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.