Specialized Chunder Control 2Bliss Tire

The Chunder Control (1ply) is designed for extreme, but varying trail conditions, for those who love the DH version of the Chunder, but want a better rolling and lighter weight tire for their trail bikes. By lowering the knob heights, using a different compound and only a single ply casing with predictable drift, reasonable weight, large volume, pedal-ability and sure-footed traction.

[Feb 01, 2010]
Aslan

OVERALL
Strength:

Traction, durablity, wide for a 2.2, hold air pretty well with stans.

Heavy, slow

I picked this tire up in Moab last sping after cutting a sidewall an old IRC. I am 160 and ride this tubeless as a front tire at around 28psi. The good: Confidence inspiring, they don't wash out, really, really durable. I have almost a year on the font tire and it has plenty of life left and I ride a lot, on lava cap. The bad: Slow as molasses. It seems really heavy. In sum, I am going to switch this too the back this summer just to wear it out. I would never race with this tire but for a long back county ride I never worry about them.

So many...

[Apr 29, 2009]
Pableras

OVERALL
Strength:

(Specialized Chunder Control 2.2)
- Light for a real 2.2 at 700 g
- Rolls pretty fast for its size
- Great cornering in most terrains
- Great braking traction
- Strong casing for its weight
- Cheaper than most similar tires
- Good rubber compound (somewhere between supertacky and Exception compound)
- Good absorption even at high presuures

- Braking traction in a mid-leaned position is sometimes a little unpredictable due to the thread pattern design.

I highly recommend this tire as a front for anyone who is looking for an agressive XC/all mountain tire that performs well in most terrains (excepting mud, it clogs up easily) with outstanding traction and cornering and realtively low rolling resistance.

It's cheap compared to similar prodcuts from other brands like Kenda, Maxxis...

Kenda Nevegal 2.1 (overrated, too expensive and solw form me)
Spec. Resolution (great combination of low RR, big volume and good performance in most terrains (specially on dry terrain)
Maxxis Mobster 2.1 (similar thread, but lower volume and absorption)

[Nov 24, 2007]
JB

OVERALL
Strength:

Serious traction. Nice volume. Lighter than the 2.4 ust Enduro pro's they replaced.

Side walls seem quite thin. 2bliss not "UST". This means it has a ust bead but a regular casing. In my case this means that the sidewalls leak sealant. Not much, it looks like a hundred tiny, tiny pin pricks around the sidewalls where you can see the dirt that collects on the slime. No biggie I guess but I will call Specialized to see what they say. My lbs told me this is normal for a 2bliss tire, whatever.

Bottom Line: Sweet tire for the super rocky, super technical local terrain. Although the sidewalls seem weak I have had no problems yet. Besides if they didn't shave some weight off of the tire it would weigh much more. I like the Enduro 2.4 a lot but it was just a little too big and really heavy. This tire is a perfect size, much larger than a typical 2.2, so that's a good thing to me, more like a 2.4 from others. This tire absolutely kicks ass on the steep rock climbs. I liked it so much in the rear I went back to get one for the front. I would run no more than 30psi in these tires ( I weigh 180lbs). this keeps the tire very supple and traction to a max, plus a tire that conforms to the trail actually increases rolling resistance compared to a hard tire, at least on rocky terrain, and at least in theory, haha. Anyhow I do love them at 29-30psi, they just grip everything and corner nicely at speed.

If you are looking for a decent sized footprint up front, or killer traction for the rear but find the Enduro just too big then TRY THIS TIRE!

Many big/wide-spaced knobby tires.

[Nov 24, 2007]
jbe

OVERALL

Can't edit your review...

This is to edit my previous post. I said a supple tire increases rolling resistance, I meant to say 'decreases'.

I now must continue to write so that I achieve 50 words. What else can I say, I really like this tire. go buy one, or two.

[Oct 31, 2007]
kirk

OVERALL
Strength:

Rolling resistance
relative weight

The 2.2 Chunder Control 2Bliss is about the same size as my 2.4 WTB Mutano. I really like the tire, but it does have a lot of volume yielding a bit of sluggish feel. I have Mavic 223, which are probably a bit narrow for the size casing. I either have to have it a bit overinflated (40 psi) or it feels like it might roll off the rim in cornering. It may be that this is a overly flexy sidewall, jury is still out. It does roll well on road and I have had good success in loose and rocky conditions.

just about every brand in 25 years of MTB riding.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.