Schwalbe Smart Sam Tire

Smart Sam goes well on any terrain and even on the road it rolls effortlessly. It is available in a wide variety of executions, also with reflective lines.

[Jan 21, 2018]
Yudi

OVERALL
Strength:

Got this tire straight when I purchase my full bike (Polygon Xtrada 6). I use my bike mostly on asphalt, and very rarely on off-road tracks. Overall quite satisfied with the tire for my riding type.

Very poor when climbing on wet asphalt/pavement/concrete, especially the rear tire...almost no grip at all.

It's probably designed to conquer off road or technical tracks. It's okay for daily, but NOT for climbing on wet asphalt/pavement/concrete.

[Nov 13, 2014]
JBT

OVERALL
Strength:

I think they'll probably wear well

Dangerous in the wet

I suspect these work well in dry US conditions. They don't in UK mud. Since fitting to my front wheel, I've had several falls this winter, slidng sideways. Now taken off bike to keep for dry summer conditions only - shan't buy again!

[Oct 26, 2013]
fokof

OVERALL
Strength:

As front tire

As rear tire

Found it good in front and bad traction because of the same reason : the thread pattern being straight line.

I use Nobby Nic as rear tire , better traction.

[Jul 05, 2013]
Vortexian

OVERALL
Strength:

Allrounder: at least some grip in any conditions, suitable for jumping and touring with heavu gear - it's extremely hard to make a snakebite on them. Suprisingly good for off-road&mud touring at medium pressure - they really get well through mud and sand. These tires are sort of "lazy" - if you block the front wheel during hard-braking at the wet pavement, the tire starts bumping instead of just slipping aside - there is a second to release the brake. Rather hard to puncture.

Rolling resistance is pretty high under a heavy rider (>90 kilos) or under a rider with a heavy luggage pack on the bike due to contact between the road and the latheral knobs even at maximum pressure. Virtually no grip at any wet&hard surface, especially during cornering. The middle flat knobs tend to tear off at high pressure (rear wheel only).

Good almost for everything except asphalt and pavement. Good for off-road touring and XC, but I hate? commuting on them.

Kenda Cobra, Schwalbe Hurricane, Schwalbe Big Apple, Schwalbe Nobby Nic

[Nov 29, 2012]
Amir

OVERALL
Strength:

hard to wear out, they don't suck THAT much on dry surface

slow rolling tyres, poor grip in corners, no grip at all on wet terrain

i see they got pretty good reviews but i got them after i wore out my maxxis larsen oriflammes and regret doing so. gonna get rid of them and try get maxxises i had before - i only got these cos of good reviews and the fact my old tires were nowhere to find in stores

[Oct 14, 2012]
CX Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Great all arounder - Roll well, easy mounting, great grip, price, integral reflective strip

Protective layer could make this a great commuter tire.

First off, this review is for the 700x35 Cyclocross sizing of the Smart Sam. I purchased these for off-season use and training rides due to their grippy tread pattern, 700x35 size and hard-wearing traits. The reflective stripe was icing on the cake especially given how dark it gets in the off season. I was sick of balding $50+ CX race tires on the road during training rides so I decided to give these a try. They are the widest & heaviest (450g) tires I've ever mounted on my cross bike so I expected them to feel heavy and sluggish. It's been a long time since riding a wire bead tire so I wasn't expecting much. To my surprise the Smart Sam's rolled incredibly well on pavement (comparable to a slick) but also had amazing traction on the trail. They felt much lighter than their 450g weight. I put these through one of my CX training loops that includes a mix of smooth paved roads, grassy farm trails and single-track. They performed amazingly well on all surfaces. On fast 90 degree off-camber grassy corners I could hear the treads ripping through the grass holding firm. On the road I nailed a Strava PR on a hill climb I've done many times on 700x23 road tires weighing half as much. They were also as easy to mount as a folding Kevlar tire which I was not expecting. I would not consider these race tires, but if I needed to I could press them into service. I can't attest to the hard wearing capabilities yet. Overall, I'm very pleased and for a $31.45 tire ($37.75 with reflective strip) these far exceeded my expectations. Price makes this a 5 Chili tire.

WTB Crosswolf, Specialized Borough CX, Specialized All-condition Elite, Schwalbe Racing Ralph & Rocket Ron EVO's

[Dec 14, 2011]
Peter Lawrie

OVERALL
Strength:

Good allrounder. Rolls fast, but does not run out of track on the corners.

None for what I ride

Great for all round riding. Fast rolling, good grip. Even a mate riding a Nevegal (in front of a Stumpie) was impressed with my bike on these when we swapped bikes.

No idea how they work in mud or wet conditions, as yet.

It is going to take a lot to get me to change....

Continental Gravity, Race Kings and Verticals

[Jun 29, 2011]
firekja

OVERALL
Strength:

This tire can take a little bit of everything that you can throw at it.

This tire while is good on most surfaces, it is definately not a do all tire.

Most of my rides consist of a mix between hardpack and road. I do not completely trust these tires on a sharp corner on gravel. They are excellent for the road and trail though. This tire is a good compromise if you ride a little bit of everything and they seem to have minimal rolling resistance on the road. Overall I like these tires, just dont expect them to be your everything tire.

[Apr 27, 2011]
Gregorin

OVERALL
Strength:

Offroad versatility,comfort,speed,tought,quality

Low speed & high rub in asphalt roads,height,price

i agree that they are great for cross-country,parks,trail paths,stone roads.Quite good speed into these surfaces.
Running over potholes is quite comfort and well-driven and suddenly movemments no longer be in your bike.score(4/5)

Schwalbe says:Great all-rounder tyre but they are quite noisy tyres and low-medium speed into asphalt roads.
Quite rubbing,you´ll need strength and make an effort for moving them.So big size tyres for city and roads(2.10")score:(2/5)

[Mar 01, 2011]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Rolls fast on bitumen & hardpack.
Seems to be quite a durable compound.

By being an allrounder, it's not the best tire choice for any one surface. Ok on most, but master of none.

If you are one of those people that drives to the venue & then hits the singletrack, this is probably not the best tire for you. There are better condition specific tires out there. For me though these are a great tire choice. They will do my 40 km round trip commute to work and back a couple of days a week. Then they will take me quickly (these things roll as well as many slicks!)the 15 km I need to cover to get off road. Sure, when I get off road they are a compromise, but a pretty good one at that.

Reminds me of the discontinued Maxxis Ranchero.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.