Schwalbe Sammy Slick Tire

Best Price At

The classic semi-slick. This tread concept is as popular as ever and it is understandable: It is easy rolling. Corners safely. Understated looks! The RaceGuard protection belt makes it super protective.

[May 23, 2012]
Sofasurfer

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, easy to mount, quiet and fast on the road, looks great on MTB, initial puncture resistance.

Rear tire prone to punctures after 1.5 years of occasional riding, slightly higher tread wear. Sharp cornering on tarmac somtimes feels strange (transition from smooth to chunky pattern on the tire sides).

Since I moved to the city I use my bike mostly for commuting (tarmac, pavement and a few gravel tracks). Bought these as an "urban" replacement for the Ritchey off road tires that came with the bike. I have a short 3.5 km (x2) commute and only ride in the summer month.

At about 3 to 3.5 bar the tires are noticably faster on the road and much more quiet compared to off road tires. A small revelation when switching over from knobby rubbers. They also look great and are a good fit for any MTB style bike.

Puncture resistance has been faily good for the first 1.5 years. Not one flat, even with the Schwalbe S14 ExtraLight tubes I have been using until now. However, in the last 2.5 month I experienced 4 punctures on the rear tire (small pieces of glass, sharp stones and a piece of metal). There are multiple nasty cuts visible in the tread (only on the outside though).

Today I switched to a heavier S13 tube but I plan to replace the tire soon. I'm looking into some other options but may as well get the Sammy again. I liked it a lot for the first 1.5 years.

Tread wear may be an issue if you ride a lot. The diamond pattern probably wears a bit faster than chunkier patterns but for me it's fine and 20,- EUR per tire are a fair price I think.

[Jul 20, 2011]
Jimbojoe

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast rolling tire that has yet to flat after 1 year of riding singletrack that is hardpack to gravel to small babyheads, plus some crushed limestone rails-to-trails. Looks good and rides good. I also ride them on the road occasionally with max. psi and they roll like a skinny road bike tire. Easy to mount. Very low rolling resistance and are very light weight for a 26X2.0 tire.

Haven't ridden them on wet, muddy or icy conditions but doubt they will stick due to being an agressive semi-slick.

I really like the tires. I am not an agressive rider, so I am not a good judge of how well the tire might perform on a full suspension race or freeride bike. But hey, they are semi-slicks so don't expect them to perform like agressive knobbies.