Schwalbe Nobby Nic Tire

Best Price At

The Schwalbe Nobby Nic SnakeSkin Tubeless Ready is a performance tire for the serious rider or occasional racer, combining unshakable grip with wicked speed. This version of the Nic is almost 10% lighter than its predecessor. Built using the blueprint from the Racing Ralph, the tire uses a unique knob spacing pattern to hold its line on steep loose climbs, and to decrease vibration at high speeds, allowing the tire to roll faster. A perfect choice for someone looking to train and race on one set of tires. Schwalbe Tubeless Ready tires have a specifically shaped and coated tire bead. This bead quickly seals on the rim and provides safer seating without the extra weight penalty of true UST tires.

[Jul 09, 2018]
racebum

OVERALL
Strength:

rolling resistance is great for the knobby size. weight is also excellent. a faster rolling choice than the maxxis counterparts but also slightly less grippy. perfect aggressive xc tire

the ridiculous blue line down the tire! hard to put into words how much i hate this. they do not wear off completely as schwalbe claims. can make matching to your bike color hard. also nic is now only available in one compound rather than a softer/harder version previously which worked well for front/rear

2017
[Jul 06, 2018]
Skratchy

OVERALL
Strength:

This review is only for the Snakeskin version in 29 x 2.35 size. Versatile, it works well in dry rocky terrain, hardpack and wet or muddy trails. Of all the terrain type I think it does best for rocky, rutted or generally rough trails. Wet and muddy this tire does okay, it is not a super star but gets the job done especially when you have a mix of mud, water and nicely packed down wet dirt. When it starts to break loose in the corners it does so consistently so you know to correct or recover. Good braking, cornering and climbing traction when new. With the Snakeskin version I've had fairly good luck with punctures and sharp rocks. Of the times where I did make a tear in the casing I doubt any tire would have been unscathed. I've been able to patch small tears (on the inside of the tire) with regular bicycle tube patch kits which has allowed me to keep riding the tires for quite some time.

Quality control - I've lost track of how many new tires have issues with the tread not being straight once you mount them. After the last pair I bought I'm done with Schwalbe's, who wants to keep buying tires that wobble on rims that are straight and true? Seriously this sucks and I have run into this problem with every single model of mtb tire I've bought from them (Nobby Nic, Racing Ralph, Rocket Ron). Rolling resistance is not great, these tires do not feel fast unless you are flying downhill. Some of the slowness is expected due to the large widely spaced knobs. Once they start to wear, in around 3 months of regular riding the performance noticeably drops for traction. Price - I would never pay the retail amount which is insane. Thankfully you can find these on sale for around $45 bucks or less per tire, which I still think is expensive for how long they last.

$45-ish per tire
2017
[Jun 08, 2018]
galben2000

OVERALL
Strength:

Their strenght appears on Rocky terrains, wet rocks, wet roots. They are glued to hard wet terrain, I even crossed small or bigger springs that had Rocky bottom, not the slightest slippery movement. Comfortable.

Not so fast, on asphalt these tires are a little bit slower than others. Not so good on flats. Several flats on asphalt caused by sharp objects.

2016
[Apr 06, 2018]
Farhad Torabi

OVERALL
Strength:

I can not talk about the strengths cause never got the chance to ride it for long time. Since they don't get sealed.

I own Nobby Nic Evo TLR 29x2.25. Got them brand new. Tried with 4 differents types of rims and got the same resaults! They are so loose from side walls and its is very difficult to make them sealed. Or when you succeed to seal them, you will find them flat the next day! I tried different sealant also. The Orange, the Stan's and the Caffeelatex Mariposa. Non of them worked!

2016
[Apr 09, 2016]
hikerdave
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to mount on the bike.

Cornering, climbing. Sidewalls are too thin.

This review is for the Nobby Nic performance tires which came stock on a new bike. I rode on these tires at South Mountain in Phoenix on trails which are composed of packed sand and rocks. The sidewall of the rear tire failed with a cut or tear when climbing up a short steep rocky section with no obvious hit or rock strike. I checked and adjusted the tire pressure before the ride, so under-inflation wasn't an issue.

Prior to the failure I found that I couldn't corner as fast as on my old bike because the Nobby Nic's would start to slide sooner or climb as steeply because the tire would suddenly slip even on grippy rock. So I'm not too broken up by the failure of a tire that I needed to replace anyways.

Specialized Purgatory, Specialized Ground Control, Schwalbe Albert, Panaracer Fire UST, Kenda Nevegal.

[Aug 08, 2015]
Gwynn Lyell

OVERALL
Strength:

Overall great high volume tire, the thing to remember this is a HIGH VOLUME TIRE!

At 137 lbs. this tire is way to bouncy for me due to its high volume. Perhaps if I ran it at 15PSI it would be better (I run tubeless strictly). If you want this tire buy the good ones, hand made, don't cheap out. FYI I rode some inexpensive Rapid Rob tubeless into the ground and had ZERO troubles with them. I expect this tire to do the same. I'm currently about to buy a Salsa El Mariachi with Nic's on it, I'll post later on my experiences with that, I plan to go tubeless, the only way to roll. 16 PSI front !8 Rear. Stay tuned.

Great tire for the right rider, not sure if its for the lighter rider like me.

Rapid robs, Mountain King, Race King

[May 22, 2015]
Thor

OVERALL
Strength:

Starting grip on asphalt or loam

SAND!!! Turns, smooth rock

My first ride on these was in mild sand. I could not make a turn. On flat turns they wash out. On banked turns they drift. I thought it would be better on more loamy dirt trails. On absolute hero dirt, these tires will not grip as well as Specialized proprietary tires or my old Panaracer Dart and Smoke.
I thought since the front and rear are balanced in how poorly they grip, I thought I could learn to drift them. I have had several slow motion falls as the front tire looses grip in slow to kid speed turns. I have lost all confidence in what is an otherwise amazing bike (Trance 1).

Oh, when I tried to go tubeless, I found two holes in the sidewall of a brand new tire! (Under 50 miles in 3 test rides). New tires are on the way.

[Feb 06, 2015]
LaCostaClydesdale

OVERALL
Strength:

Tread patter seems to work well for my trails (dry, dusty, rocky So Cal). Weight is reasonable. I ride this as a rear tire. I have never lost a bead.

Does not hold air well. Wears very quickly. Visible sealant leakage along the smooth area between treads. Not on the side wall.

Very expensive at $80, wears too fast, casing is weak along the tread area, so there is visible sealant leakage. Tread pattern is good and its relative low weight for an All Mountain tread. Unless you are a racer or weight weenie with unlimited budget, don't invest in these.

[Nov 10, 2014]
Jazz
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

- Nothing particularly stands out.

- I enjoy xc, dh and all-mountain riding. Over the course of my 1.5 seasons on these tires (mostly all-mountain riding), I have been especially unimpressed with the Nobby Nic's ability to grip in corners. Dry conditions, wet conditions, sand, roots. Doesn't matter. Definitely disappointed and can't wait to invest in a pair of tires with some bite.
- Don't wear great.

- Do not inspire confidence in corners. Not fun to ride. Unless you like to slide.

Panracer Fire XCs

[Sep 05, 2014]
eddyb

OVERALL
Strength:

Traction, cornering, width

Durability!

Really like these tires when I started out ... wide, cornered well, seemed to roll easily. But after only several weeks the side knobs began to separate from the casing. None tore completely off, but after three months they're all half torn off with loss of cornering ability. Overall, there's still a lot of tread left but needs to be replaced as it's become unpredictable. Probably the least wear I've gotten out of any tire, and one of the more expensive ones I've ever bought. Not a good combination.

• Available At