Schwalbe Magic Mary Tire

Best Price At

The intermediate profile gives the rider control in almost any terrain. With its open tread pattern the tire cleans itself as if by magic, even when the ground is wet. Magic Mary is the best decision for up to 80% of all tracks.

[Sep 13, 2018]
OneTrustMan

OVERALL
Strength:

Grip Grip GRIP. I love Maxxis Minnion as an do it all tire, but for park riding those are just so much better. They are very durable even on lower pressure and they are grippy as hell even on wet and muddy ground. I run them both in front and rear with 2.3 width and the super gravity edition.

Yeah yeah, lots n lots of roll resitance, whatever I don't give a S**t. Traction over everything baby.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2018
[Apr 03, 2017]
justwan naride

OVERALL
Strength:

Overall traction (esp. on wet and/or loose conditions), braking grip, range of use, reasonable weight, does not require perfect technique to grip and corner well.

Very poor durability (rocky conditions), not as defined feedback as the DHF in corners

Having spent a long time with various versions of the Minion DHF (which is kind if a holy grail in our conditions) I thought I'd try something different, ideally larger then maxxis's 2.3 in volume.

Schwalbe have a bad reputation on durability on our rocky ground, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway as the Trail Boss I had as a front was clearly inadequate. The Magis Mary faired much, much bettern in terms of grip on all surfaces, esp. when there was a need for the knobs to penetrate to firm ground (ie loose over hardpack, soft soil, mud etc). Braking is the best i've ever used. Cornering is very good and it's quite forgivilng when you're tired and your technique or line choices are lousy. I think it lacks that secure DHF feeling when you have it on the edge and you 100% know what's happenning underneath. Very forgiving and dependable though. The large volume combined with low psi smooths out a lot of trail chatter too.

Volume is pretty much true to size on my 23mm id rims (unlike Maxxis) and it set tubeless with a compressor on the first go using Joe's sealant.

My version is the 27.5 Evo Snakeskin and it has a good ratio of sidewall thickness/weight. For my weight (70kg) and riding style (not too hard on tyres) I thought it'd be strong enough. Indeed, the sidewalls are holding up fine after about 700km and so do the center knobs. Unfortunately, the sideknobs show a disproportionate rate of wear, beginning to seperate where the knob meets the carcass. It's not so bad yet that it can be felt, but at this rate soon some knobs or pieces of them are gonna be torn and I expect cornering stability to deteriorate a lot. Everything else on the tyre looks like new.

[Aug 02, 2015]
Morgan Ransom

OVERALL
Strength:

Traction
Traction
More traction

I wouldn't run it as a rear unless I was only doing lift access.

First week on the tire.
27.5 x 2.35 Front.

Hit Bellingham WA in the dry. Magical.
Hit Whistler, BC in the dry. Magical.
Hit Whistler in the wet, Magical.
Hit Bellingham in the wet, Magical.
Hit Duthie Hill Park in the wet, Magical.

Home in Homer, AK.
Magic.

Muddy Mary
Hans Dampf
Minion

[Mar 25, 2015]
lew242

OVERALL
Strength:

Grip grip grip!
Mount up easily tubeless.
Grips well even with 32 psi or more.

Weight and rolling resistance.
Probable wear rate on rear.

I've ridden the Hans Dampf and Maxxis Minion as front and rear tires. Currently I have a Performance Magic Mary front and a Hans Dampf on the back, which will shorty be changed to a Minion DHF.

Basically the grip level is insane. If you thought the grip on a Minion DHR 2, DHF or Hans Dampf was good, you'd better strap yourself in! This tire will endo on light dry dirt! The braking grip is just out of this world, but the the off camber grip is just as good if not better than a Minion and it will rail corners too until you lose the ability to lean further.

The only downside is weight and rolling resistance, however this is not so bad if you only use it as a front tire, especially if you are riding recreational AM or Enduro in the moist to dry, the extra confidence boost and grin factor is well worth it. Matches up with a Hans Dampf or my favorite a hard wearing DHF on the back. I wouldn't match it with a Hans Dampf or Rock Razor or any other Schwalbe tire long term as most Schwalbe tires just don't last long enough on the rear IMO.

If I was riding DH or wet/muddy AM/enduro I would be inclined to run a Magic Mary front and rear.

In essence you just can't go wrong, the Performance version in my opinion is a good tire and great value for money at about $30 so I'd give that 5 star for value. If you are DH rider get the Performance for the rear and save yourself a few bucks. The Evo versions of Schwalbe tires are in my view not worth the extra (maybe my riding isn't good enough to tell the difference), but really they seem too expensive so I'd give it a 3 chilli for value.

Schwalbe Hans Dampf, Rock Razor, Nobby Nic,Table Top, Maxxis Minion DHF, DHR, DHR 2, High Roller, High Roller 2, Detonator, Larsen TT. Holy Roller, CST Maverick, Kenda Nevegal, K-rad, WTB Prowler, DMR Moto RT, DMR Moto Digger, Continental Avenue Plus many others

• Available At