Schwalbe Hans Dampf Tire

Best Price At
Available At

The fast-rolling Rocket Ron and tenacious Knobby Nic established Schwalbe's reputation for producing lightweight, high-volume tires. While these tires bridged cross country speed with all-mountain reliability, they suffered when the terrain got seriously aggressive. Hearing the cries, Schwalbe...

[Oct 01, 2016]
Chris

OVERALL
Strength:

Performance the first month of ownership

Performance after that

Surprisingly good traction the first time I rode it (on the front) and fairly lightweight. Unfortunately this was short lived and literally all the side knobs started breaking away. I moved it to the rear where a bit of sideways drift is a bit more tolerable but they're a liability. I replaced it with a continental trail king which is far superior.

Ardent, weirwolf, high roller, trail king

[Nov 12, 2015]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight

wimpy sidewalls. pinch flats like mad

These came on my Giant Reign. First ride I pinch flatted. Second ride I pumped them up to 35 psi and pinch flatted, third ride 40 psi and no flats but the tire was way too hard to grip. I rode them for 3 weeks and got more flats in that time than I did in the previous 2 seasons on Kenda Nevegals. Last ride I put 2 big slices in the sidewall. They're going to be retired from serious riding and the one good one donated to local guy who fixes bikes for kids. The only other tires I've disliked as much as these were Schwalbe Big Bettys whick I also swapped out for Nevegals.

Maxis Minions
Kenda Nevegal
Schwalbe Big Betty

[Sep 09, 2015]
powderhound82

OVERALL
Strength:

Good grip in most conditions, lightweight for their size and purpose

Durability

Running 27.5 x 2.35 PaceStar tubeless. Wanted to like these tires, felt faster to accelerate than the High Rolller IIs, and held traction in most conditions. Pricey, but can be found for a deal if you shop around. The durability was definitely lacking, knobs tore off easily, losing air before sealing, or just flatting completely. Granted, I'm a 200lb aggressive rider, but will be going back to the High Roller IIs

Kenda Nevegal, Maxxis High Roller II

[Jul 08, 2015]
targnik

OVERALL
Strength:

...
*Low rolling resistance
*Good all round grip
*Looks sick!!
*Reasonably light weight
*Cut/Abrasion protection

*Packs up in mud
*Durability in/on rocky terrain
*Price (although I got mine on special)

A really good do it all tire (if you can find it cheap).

Looks like an AM tire should, big and burly... but very respectable weight wise.

Good grip in most trail scenarios (except full on mud).

Rolls pretty quick with the bonus of added protection.

[Jun 20, 2015]
Rudeor

OVERALL
Strength:

Bite in really loose sand

Tall knobs squirm on hardpack or loose over hard, vague cornering

I bout this for full almost full retail from bike shop what was I thinking? Oh yeah I had pinch flatted a weir wolf in the rear while tubeless and needed another tire. Figured I would get another front tire and move the nevagal I had up front to the back while I watched for a deal on rear tires and took the nevagal off to use as a front when the hd wore out. Anyway nice large volume casing and gives confidence in the real rough and loose sections but a majority of corners in Reno Tahoe still have hardpack u can find in the summer. And when ur on that they arnt cool

Other Mountain bike tires from specialized geax wtb etc

[Jun 10, 2015]
AustinC

OVERALL
Strength:

Big casing, good all around traction, at least for the first few rides.

Absurdly fragile rubber compound literally lasted a few rides before the side knobs were destroyed. Now I can't even feel good about selling them.

I bought a Devinci Spartan Carbon SX which comes with the SCHWALBE HANS DAMPF 27.5X2.35? TRAILSTAR SUPERGRAVITY TL.

As a disclaimer, I normally ride Minion DHF front and rear and I lean hard when I corner the bike so I load the side knobs a lot. But here's the thing - even in fairly soft Portland, OR area forest riding I totally shredded the side knobs in just a few days of riding, and then in the corners the Hans were a mess.

On the Thrillium DH shuttle I saw this tire on a lot of bikes, and the interesting thing is that on some bikes they looked fine and guys said they'd been running them for a while. So maybe it's a riding style thing.

But how can I like these tires when honestly after a few days of riding the knobs are barely still attached to the casing?

Minion DHF

[May 05, 2015]
Paul

OVERALL
Strength:

Good for smooth dirt trails

Get ripped to shreds on rough rocky trails

I have about 20 rides in around Park City and Salt Lake and tires performed well. I went to Moab where I rode 5 trails and they are trashed. The side nobs are shredded and falling off. Clearly the compound is too soft for rocky terrain. These came on my new Devinci and I would say they were a very poor choice and they are not a good all round tire for a trail bike.

[May 01, 2015]
Mats Andersson

OVERALL
Strength:

Good grip.

These tyre pick up gravel and a lot of it ,my frame is blasted with flying stones.
This tyre is only good for trails not for gravel roads,

Not good for scandinavian gravel roads.other wise its grippy.

[Nov 18, 2014]
lew242

OVERALL
Strength:

Braking grip, roll-over capability, fairly fast rolling, light for size of tire, high volume, width as advertised

Terrible durability on rear, price, scrubby and sketchy on some loose-over terrain, doesn't rail but reasonable if ridden road moto style

Review for 26x2.35 Evolution trailstar and Performance

You'll notice that most of the reviews praising this tire are from people who have recently fitted them, long term reviews are much lower scores..

I've run the evo and the performance models of this tire and honestly this tire like most of Schwalbes current offerings as a rear tire is an absolute disaster especially in any kind of rocky conditions. Wears through very quickly the knobs can get torn off, often times it can happen on the trail and it get ripped through to the carcase with hiss and fountain of Stans fluid over everything, so you'll need to bring tubes. The performance version is better in terms of the side-knobs not ripping off, but still not particularly good in terms of wear.

However on the front the tire is simply a much better candidate, but quite what to pair it with is a struggle, although a Maxxis Minion DHF 2.3 TR EXO works very well. HD has an addictive volume and width and yet quite light, braking traction is great and the tire runs well on hardpack but can get very scubby on gravelly loose over (with an understeery feel). But braking is great down very steep terrain where other tires just slip.It's quite thin and IMHO it should only be run tubeless, as it is very likely to puncture with a tube in the slightest thorn-like conditions.

To sum up on the rear this tire is only good for racing, useless for training. The Performance version is much cheaper and offers 98% of the performance, try that if you want to check out these tires, especially on the rear. If you want to do training rides with this tire then simply be prepared to run it as front only unless the terrain allows.

Observations......
For me the wear of this tire on the rear is just unaccptable, yet on the front it's perfectly workable, just a tad short. If I was a manufacturer I'd try to make tire compounds front and rear specific so that instead of the rear lasting 3 weeks and the front lasting 3 months they wore out at the same rate, meaning you could sell tires bundled as sets. This changing the rear every 3 weeks game is just too expensive for me, maybe its my terrain or that I ride very often, but other manufacturers make tires that grip very and last much longer.

[Nov 15, 2014]
FarNorCal Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Traction. Roll well. Easy to set up on tubeless.

Wear too fast
Cost

I have been riding Hans Dampf on two bikes a 27.5 Intense Carbine 275 on Diablo rims and 29 on Salsa El Mariachi SS with Stans rims. I found that they set up tubeless like a snap and easy to mount. Love the traction. Issue I have found is that the side knobs tear with both the PaceStar and TrailStar compounds. When you start loosing those I question the corning ability that makes the a new set of Hans attractive. I find the the omni-directional pattern nice for mounting and makes for good drip and great rolling on smooth surface, but I have had the center nobs wear down on the rear very quickly with the PaceStar compound which makes for uneven wear and slippage at low millage use.

While the tire sets up easily with Stan's, I found that with puncture I did not get the flat protection you expect. Relatively small holes have left me putting in a tube to finish a ride on more than one occasion. These tires are not cheap on sale I have never been able to crack the $70 level. So they are like the BMW of tires, awesome brand new and fool you to thinking money well spent. But wear too easily. I have gone thru 2 sets on both bikes in a year. I am going to give a different tire a try.

• Available At
$55.11

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.