Schwalbe Fast Fred Tire

This dual discipline tire is lightweight and light running to give you a perfect racing tires. The unique qualifier compound has extremely low rolling resistance and the yielding shape offers excellent grip.

[Dec 01, 2015]
No1Spank

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, Fast, Cheap, Store well

None, they are dry / damp tires, only a fool would have them as their mud tire.

I bought a pair of qualifier compound fast freds in 2005 which I did a couple of races on. They were stored in a farm shed for nearly a decade before I used them again to race and ride in Thetford forest.

They are still as good as new and I can't believe what a great tire they are even compared to more modern offerings. They are great in the dry and on the road in all conditions. In damp conditions they are as good as more knobbly tires as what you lose in cornering you gain back and then some on the straights. I got caught out at one track I raced at, I arrived late and after the sighting lap didn't have time to switch the front (fast fred) to something else and had to ride in the slush. Luckily I had a grippier tire on the rear and despite the mud being bad enough to coat my rims in enough mud to stop my brakes working the fred did ok. I did crash on the second last lap at the bottom of a hill but like I said only a fool would use this tire in mud and I was getting tired from saving the front at every turn.
Again I use this tire on the front in Thetford forest when it's averagely muddy, I like the challenge and despite a more interesting ride my lap times are still quicker than going knobbly both ends.

[May 04, 2013]
Soundbud

OVERALL
Strength:

Amazing fast tyre, low rolling resistance, surprising grip in muck for such a low tread profile (but need to be seated, otherwise wheel spins)

Low tread profile means you need balls going corners! Tend to slide out.

I love these tyres, and would definitely buy again. Don't forget they are racing tyres and although meant for dry use I do use them in wet but racing Ralph are much better for wet use. I also ride on the road for a while to and from my off road place, so these tyres are excellent compromise since they roll really fast on the road. Going around corners is something else, I do ride seriously fast on these tyres regardless of sliding out around corners due to lack of grip, but that's what you pay for if you want to go fast! Excellent tyres if you want to ride recklessly fast off road and I could see many races being won with them. Not for the faint hearted!

Racing Ralph

[Oct 29, 2009]
lazyboots

OVERALL
Strength:

It's really fast and light tire.

I'd like to have better traction in corners. And they wear out pretty fast.

They are so fast and acceleration is superb .... You'll love them. But since they lose traction almost completely in wet and sandy conditions, I'd call them great for xc racing on dry conditions

[Aug 24, 2007]
Adrian

OVERALL
Strength:

little rolling resistance,very light weight (350gr),plenty of grip on dry surfaces.

not too much puncture protection,cannot be used on mud!! on mud it has the same grip as a slick!

it's great for xc racing on dry conditions,but not too good for marathons,due to the dimished puncture protection.
Overall,it's a perfect tire for the light concious xc racer.

schwalbe racing ralph,nobby nic,ritchey zed race,ritchey innovader,irc's.

[Mar 06, 2006]
spiro vagenas

OVERALL
Strength:

Fantastic all round performance, very light, exceptional road holdind - even in icy conditions, very fast rolling

punctures relatively easily without an anti-puncture bandage.

The tire compound is by far the best quality I'v had the pleasure of cycling on. With such fantastic road holding I am amazed at the long length of the tires durability. On some icy road stretches it sounds like you are riding on glass splinters. The design pattern and shape of the noblies litterally bite into the ice. I am extremely impressed. All this and very low rolling resistance.

maxxis larsen mimo, nokian hakkapeliita a10, LRH and a few others

[Aug 22, 2005]
Oswald

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, low rolling resistance.

Some people complain about puncture resistance, but I've never flatted on these tires.
Not an allround tire.

I really like these tires for racing on hardpack terrain. I've never flatted on these tires and have done about a dozen races on them. They are really light and have low rolling resistance. They don't provide any grip, but there are other tires out there that do if the track is muddy.

I did almost regret using them once, the 100km Meirhaeghe Marathon in Vielsam! I was affraid of punctures on the rocky downhill sections but didn't flat despite using only 2 bar front and 2.1 rear. They didn't inspire a lot of confidence grip wise either, but I managed to get 23th place out of 290 people finishing the race, so I guess that they performed well after all.

If you know when to use them, they are an excellent choice. Compared to it's competitors (like the Jet S), it is lighter and still has enough puncture resistance.

Too many to list.

[Aug 11, 2005]
Sean Holcombe

OVERALL
Strength:

very light. very low rolling resistance.

washes out too easily as a front tire. fell apart.

the fast fred light is just that.. light. i did not like using this as a front tire. i found myslef going slower because i had no confidence in its ability to bite in corners. as a rear tire, it works much better. it provides enough traction for me and did i mention that it is light? the problem is, it didn't last very long. after about 70 or so miles, one of the knobs broke of revealing the threads.

i might consider using one of these as a back tire in a race-only kind of role, but only if my everyday tire had a similar tread pattern

irc mythos

[Feb 08, 2005]
fachril fathiansyah

OVERALL
Strength:

very very very very very fast,light,cheap!!
and i fell in love with that kevlar beads

never find any

it is a very fast one. i think it makes me ride faster 75 %.it saves me a lot of time, and we all know time is money.so it saves money too, right?

fat albert

[Dec 02, 2004]
Paul Witkos

OVERALL
Strength:

Simply fastest tire on the market

Loses traction almost completely in wet and sandy conditions

First time I rode'em I thought my computer went crazy. 35 km/h (about 22 mph) is simply easy. The feeling is awesome. Acceleration and speeding are the things they scream to do with'em. Good handling and cornering on hard surfaces and average braking.
I thought I found the best babies. Not really. They totally suck in mud and sandy conditions. I would say there isn't even poor handling. For me it doesn't exist. During one race I found myself the only one person walking on quite flat muddy uphills as I was the one whose tires didn't keep the grip. Sad but true. On difficult xc races and demanding downhills disadvantages in handling are bigger than the profits from acceleration.
I was told after 300-500 miles they will be worn out. Well, after that distance I can barely see the difference, so I think they will last much longer. Really resistant to punctures with MB Belt (now it's sth new)
Who should take a closer look at them? Anyone switching tires due to race or marathon conditions. On hard, dry surfaces they are unbeatable and their puncture resistance makes them probably the toughest super lite tires on the market. Definitely not allround or one-year tire.
Highlt specific stuff for specific conditions. Well made, rubber is still in good condition after several years (that's right) of hanging in the garage.

Michelin Comp S Light, Hutchinson Mosquito Air Light

[Mar 20, 2008]
Jongo

OVERALL
Strength:

Low rolling resistance, excellent hardpack performance.

None for it's intended purpose.

Read a bunch of the other reviews and can't belive that people would rate these tires anything other than excellent. These are hardpack racing tires, should not perform well in mud or wet conditions, sidewalls are thin to reduce weight, they are race tires.

Schwable Racing Ralphs, Michelin Comp S, XCR2 Dry, Pythons, Kenda Klimax

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.