Schwalbe Albert Tire

With Albert's spread out tread pattern and stiff lugs you ‘ll have the ability to accellerate out of fast corners and make up speed on the straights.

[Sep 24, 2011]
hoolie

OVERALL
Strength:

Good tread pattern. Harder rubber for longevity on the street if you road ride to trails. Narrow with widely spaced knobs for mud shedding.

My only problem with this tire is it is low profile. I run XT 29er wheels that are not wide and this tire is still too low profile to run at low pressure without rim damage from logs and boulders. I now realize I prefer Large volume casing.

I like this tire tread. But for me the low profile is a deal killer for advanced riders in the rocks. I think this is a good tire for you if you need longer lasting rubber, and ride smoother trails/fireroad. Also, I used this tire in loamy, leaf covered forests that have no obstacles and this tire is great. Logs, rocks, and and stairs are not this products strong points.

[Apr 11, 2011]
photodog

OVERALL
Strength:

light

poor grip in rocks, wears VERY quickly

For the record: I'm 6'1, 175 riding in extremely rocky conditions. AM tires for the trails I'm riding this bike on are typically Ardent's and Nevegal's.

I've never used Schwalbe's before and was surprised by the rigidity of the casing and bead. Tubless on Flows they were very easy to setup.

While it initially looked like it would make a good back tire for our very rocky/gravelly trails and the light weight would be welcome on our long climbs, it didn't grip well at all especially on broken rock. Tried changing from my standard 27psi all over the place but just couldn't get them to stop deflecting off rocks as if the rubber was just too hard. Hard corners at the limit of traction would result in sudden and complete loss of traction with very little control once traction was lost. Constantly in lower speed corners the tread would "pop" off the side of a rock jumping the rear end all over.

I slit all the transition knobs vertically (north south with the direction of travel) and it's now a totally different story. Great traction and totally controllable at the limit. It went from a poor performing tire to one of the better ones for our area.

The problem now is that with only about 10 hours on it it's wearing VERY quickly. Not the knobs I cut but the center knobs and the outer knobs. Centers are wearing from climbing steep rocks though the braking edges are fine. The outer knobs are rounding out and some are close to tearing off.

Overall I'm pretty disappointed in this tire. I realize it was discontinued but if this is what I can expect of the ultra expensive Schwalbe brand I'll be sticking with my Maxxis Ardents and Geax tires.

[Jul 20, 2008]
wannabfast

OVERALL
Strength:

Great traction, sidewall protection, reasonable rolling resistance and works well in a variety of conditions.

A bit pricey

Highly recommended. The tire works well on a variety conditions, dirt, fire roads, roots and rocky terrain. I was really pleased that the Albert run with Stans survived the Downieville XC without a flat or rip.

Nobby Nic, Rampage and Big Betty

[Aug 09, 2007]
Michel

OVERALL
Strength:

This review is for the Albert ALPENCROSS tyre.
Excellent grip on loose rocks, very strong no punctures due to raceguard/snakeskin combo

perhaps weight (670g), further none

I used the Albert and Smart Sam tyres in the new AlpenCross version of Schwalbe and put them on my Stumpjumper fsr.

I used them indeed marathon biking in the Alps. The tyres were excellent...the Albert has excellent grip in front and smart sam has very low rolling resistence, although never slippery and loose gravel. Smart sam can however get slippery on wet tree roots in the forest. After 2 weeks of use in the alps there was no sign of damage and had no punctures.

I can recommend to anyone riding in rocky or mountainous terrain. Ok, they weigh 670g but you will feel very secure and you can ride downhill very fast...

Nobby Nic, racing Ralps, Hutchinson Python, Specialized

[Aug 07, 2007]
Alan

OVERALL
Strength:

Grip
Not Heavy
Sidewalls very strong (snakeskin 2.25)

Rolling resistance and noisy on road
Too soft..on road

No more punctures and that already a good news because with the Nobby Nic 2,25 one time out of two I got it.
I do still more than 50% on road, so this tire is really too soft for me, offroad has a very good grip.

Maxxis Larssen TT, Schwalbe Nobby Nic, Specialized Pro

[Mar 12, 2006]
ramilcp

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, high volume, good grip rolling and cornering.

None.

I have the 2.25 'Light' version set up as a rear tire. It has great grip on hardpack, as well as wet roots and rocks. Even off-camber pitches are no problem for this tire. It helps inspire confidence on the trails when you know your tires will hook up on most everything.

IRC: Kujo DH, Mythos XC F/R, Trailbear; Panaracer: Smoke, Dart, Fire XC Pro; Bontrager SS F/R, Hutchinson Scorpion Airlight, Specialized S-Works Fast Trak.

[Nov 05, 2006]
Gabi K.

OVERALL
Strength:

Great grip, very stable,large vollume, excels in sigletracks.

Not the fastest tire - there is a price for grip.

I use the foldable Albert 2.25 rear and the soft compound (front only) in the front, 35 psi front, 40 rear. As a reviewer wrote below, it took two rides until it really "sits down". After 50 km it shows lot of grip, very stable in singletracks, cornering and bracking. The only minus it is not a fast roller you'll feel it in long climbs - but I prefer this in a rocky garden or while flying over fire roads. Compared to the conti vertical pro it is slower but with more grip. Bottom line - if you are on the xc line maybe it is not for you, if you are on the all mountain, singletracks and down - you'll be happy

Hutchinson Mosquito (the worst one I used, Panaracer Fire XC Pro, WTB Wirewolf, Continental Vertical Pro

[Jun 27, 2005]
Christoph Becker

OVERALL
Strength:

Works excellent under ALL (I mean also wet - that's life in Germany ;-))conditions, gives you a very confident and save steering feeling because of its round profile. Takes small bumps (2.3 is the width to go for) very well and literally bites into the trail - uphill and downhill. THE best tire I've ever tried in 15 years of riding. It took me over the alps including 20000 HM and over 550 km under ALL conditions. I think that is the ultimate test for a tire and I was always totally happy with it.

Wears a little fast, but who cares this thing gives you the extra amount of adrenalin you beg for on your way down and still rolls relatively easy anywhere else.

Let's make this short:
GO GET IT unless you are only out for DH or you are a Worldcup XC racer!!

Specialized Enduro, Conti Explorer, Conti Vertical Pro, Michelin Wild Gripper

[Aug 10, 2005]
Superbman

OVERALL
Strength:

This is for the rear/ snakeskin tire-very good roller, tough sidewalls, great grip

none for me

Finally mated the rear albert to the front only and my riding hasnever been better. This looks like the end of a three year journey to find the perfect new england front and rear tire set up. I use the schwalbe albert front only snakeskin up front and a plain scwhalbe albert snakeskin rear-run them around 35 psi and never slip or slide anymore and still roll fairly quickly--can't beat that. Yee ha!

Schwalbe front only

[Aug 02, 2005]
Pete

OVERALL
Strength:

Grip, light weight, strong sidewalls

Price

I got these tires for my 575 because I figured a sweet ride needed sweet rubber and I couldn't be happier. The grip on New England rocks and roots is unreal!!! They are head and shoulders above my old FireXCs. I usually run them between 35-40psi and I have yet to pinch flat. The only flat I did get was from broken glass on the road. They are really light for their volume and durability.

The only downside I see to them is the price. I would love a new pair when these die, but the price may stop me. I was able to trade for this pair, so didn't have to throw down cash.

Panaracer FireXC for years and years

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.