Ritchey Z-Max Millennium Tire

• Classic, proven Z-Max VFA tread design • All-around, front or rear World Cup caliber race tire • One of the lightest full knobby tires available • WCS, Pro and Comp versions • 26x1.7, 26x1.9, 26x2.1, 26x2.35

[Jun 26, 2011]
FrenchFit

OVERALL
Strength:

Grips for days and fast, I was spinning at 20mph on the pavement, 26 x 1.9. Sort of in between a NanoRaptor and a full on knobby, but terrific grip in the back end on dry and sandy. (Don't have one on the front.)

Discountinued I think, replace by a slightly new tread design and/or width. Too bad. NOS on eBay is the way to go.

Solved my need: a fast rolling tire that can really grip on steep. Predictable. Perfect. Looks good too.

Nanoraptors, Specialized FastTrack, Small Block.

[Jul 25, 2009]
Be one rider

OVERALL
Strength:

very good value. Surprisingly low cost for a good alround varied terrain performance and handling. Predictable performance across dry, wet, snow, hard / loose terrain. This makes for a considerable achievement where it is not essential to spend mega bucks for a good ride out!

A bit unpredictable and hairy over wet raised roots. But thats about it really!

If you want good performance across a mudle of conditions, ths tyre cannot be ruled out as a definate contender for the more expensive rivals of other brands.

A very durable tyre for wear and tear which shows it strengths time sfter time, after time.

I am on my second set in two years of regular off roading and I have been very impressed indeed with the quality of this reasonably priced low cost off road tyre.

Top notch!!

Kenda, Maxis and Wolverine tyres.

[Mar 17, 2009]
richsto

OVERALL
Strength:

-Low Rolling Resistance
-Predictable Cornering
-Solid Traction
-Great in the Snow
-Works Tubless w/Rim Strips
-Durable
-Lightweight

-Mud
-Ice
-Wet dirt/loose traction??
-May be more prone to pinch flats

Predictable break away in the corners, always hooks up in the back. Good traction in all drier conditions. Wet dirt traction, especially in front is questionable as I broke a couple of ribs on a front tire washout. Great in the rain on pavement and in snow as well (I commute and trail ride on these tires). Low rolling resistance works well on the pavement. These tires are pretty durable as well, I've hammered on them extensively in all conditions and they haven't failed me. After getting numerous pinch flats, I switched to tubeless at about the halfway point - works well.

Bottom line - I'm buying another set today.

Velociraptor, Dart/Smoke

[Jun 23, 2008]
ball4759

OVERALL
Strength:

Low rolling resistance, great climber, hooks up well around turns

mud clearance could be a little better but 3 out of 4 isn't bad.

I live in Northeaster NY where the singetrack is tight and the climbing is gnarley. I have been searching for the perfect XC race tire for NE conditions and this is it. If you like Hutch pythons you will love this tire. Similar rolling resistance and climbing ability as the hutch Python but hooks up in the turns like a dream. I cant believe I don't see more racers with these tires. I ride the 1.9 Pro model, at first the seemed a little skinny but you don't notice it on the trail they hook up as good as any 2.1 tire. Granted I am a XC racer so I am rating this tire for racing. If you do not care about speed then there are other tires that are probably better. If you are looking for the best combination of speed, climbing ability, and handling the Ritchey Millenium Pro is the best tire out there.

pythons, conti speed king

[Jul 17, 2003]
Ride Biker

OVERALL
Strength:

smooth, low rolling resistance in the dirt and on the pavement. I have tried the 2.1 Pro's and the 2.1 WCS version. WCS is worth the $$$ due to softer grippy compound. Very sticky off road. Pro's wear fine with some on-road and are very quiet and smooth, they are just a harder compound and heavier. I used them during winter, but not in an absolute slopfest. No flats in 3 sets. I am 180#, run 34-38 psi.

The Pro's wear normally, I am sure the WCS will wear faster.

I love the way these tires ride. Great all around XC tires that roll fast on the road. The WCS are even better than the Pro's. Wet, hardpack, loose, singletrack, fire road, whatever.

Tioga, WTB, IRC, Specialized, etc.

[Jul 11, 2003]
B. D.

OVERALL
Strength:

THE BEST all-condition dirt tire...period.
Fantastic, reliable, predictable traction.

Was out of production for awhile...thank God it came back!
Not many sources.

...think about this: all the time, money and effort you've invested in the clothes you ride in, the machine you ride on, the trails you travel to, your body, your experience... all come down to two small contact patches, where your tires touch Earth. This is so critical, yet so many riders compromise... "these (other tires) are light and fast, but they're a bit sketchy in the corners..."
Sheesh! I've got to have tires that I can completely depend on. I used to ride the old 2.35 WCS Z-max in the early days. Now that I'm finally riding again, I put the Hutchison Pythons (that came on the Jamis) on my old bike (now my commuter/beater). Tried the Panaracers. Disappointed, gave 'em away, went and got some new Z-max sneakers (2.35..."fat-tire bike", remember?)
Life is good again!
All I can tell you is that if you haven't actually tried them, then you really don't know what your missing.

Specialized, Michelin, tried the Panaracer Fire XC...for one ride...not even close...

[Jan 02, 2007]
Justin Murray

OVERALL
Strength:

This is very light and has proper knobs. It rolls really quickly.

Doesn't like the sticky, clay-based mud we get in Canberra (luckily it doesn't rain too much).

This is the quickest rolling tyre I have ever used. It is sooooo light - I almost fell off the back of the bike when I lifted the front to go over a log - seriously light.

Panaracer Smoke Classic 2.1, Bontrager Jones 2.2, Ritchey Elevader WCS 2.1, IRC SeracXC 2.1, Panaracer Dart Classic 2.1, WTB Velociraptor 2.1.

[Nov 26, 2001]
Vitor Amendoeira

OVERALL
Strength:

Corners very well, especialy in hard terrains and roads.

A tire for hard terrain, this will be the perfect. In mud, and has no troubles. I think its great!

[Oct 12, 2002]
Brumac

OVERALL
Strength:

grips well, predictable, gives great feedback. Not sure what this other guy was talking about, but i haven't tried it in my engine yet.

a week after i bought my homegrown w/wildgripper, had a front end washout on an easy turn. went and got a zmax wcs front and zed rear. i'm on my second zmax front (now have innovader rear) and will buy another when this one wears out. this tire grips when pushed hard through turns. it also lets you know before it washes out. works pretty well in loose stuff as well. can't say how it handles mud, roots, etc. since i live in socal. but if you're riding hardpack, this is what you want.

wildgripper and many more

[Feb 03, 2002]
anakin sky walker

OVERALL
Strength:

weight, low rolling resistance, fast and runs like a slick, very good on pave, very good for xc racing on dry condition.

pinch flats even if i only weight 130lbs i frequently pinch flat this thing. not abusable. bad idea on sharp limestones. eats mud like hog, mud will cake up on your tires. bad traction on wet soil.

your rim is not well protected with it, you'll literally hear the "thud" when the tire was not able to protect your rim from the ground after a drop or after you run thru a big stuffs. bottom line - strictly for xc racing only, or for pave, zmax is a true low rolling resistance tire, fast and wears moderately.

maybe i wrongly use the tire. this is very good for xc racing and nice alternative for slick. but a bad idea to abuse it, definitely not a free ride stuff. a big difference from my wtb vraptor, traptor which i currently used.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.