Performance Forte Tsali Tire

With its closely-spaced, low-profile center tread and grippy outer knobs, the dual-compound Tsali hits the sweet spot when it comes to rolling fast and smooth, yet with plenty of traction for cornering and accelerating.

• Fast-rolling, low-profile tread design
  • Dual-compound tread provides optimum combination of cornering grip and straight-line speed
  • Folding bead

[May 15, 2018]
Joe Handlebar

OVERALL
Strength:

I ran a 29er set of these from about June through the rest of the 2017 riding season. I don't recall ever weighing them, but it's certainly not a pig of a tire...unless you're a real weight weenie. Mounted on 25mm inner width rims, they had a moderately rounded and uniform profile. This with the relatively symmetric block pattern, they're a fast rolling tire pretty much made for smooth, flowing tracks and hardpack. Also a plus if you happen to have to hit a little pavement on the way to your local trailhead. Labled at what would now be considered a relatively "narrow" tire (2.2), they measure out a bit wider at around 2.3. They were even a bit fatter after 6 months of good use and casing stretch when I finally tossed them.

It appears Performance doesn't make a tubeless version of the Tsali. However, I did run these tubeless from day one. While not technically a "negative", you should know what to expect if you plan on doing the same. You may need a compressor to seat the beads. In my case, it took a couple of weeks to really seal up the beads and the casing, although I didn't experience any seepage as noted by other users. One thing these tires won't handle is moisture, in any shape way or form. In fact, anything even more damp than "hero dirt" leaves you sideways and on the ground.

Price Paid:
[Aug 15, 2015]
DuaneR
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Price

Thin sidewalls, only a light duty tire

This tire is OK if you're only going to ride very tame trails. Anything with rocks, roots, etc it will not hold up. The sidewalls just can't take the abuse. After 4 rides, the sidewalls were leaking Stan's fluid, and the cords were showing through the rubber. Kudo's to Performance, as they credited me the price of the tire towards something with more durability. On a good note, they did seat using a tubeless set up, but I needed a compressor to seat the bead.

Maxis (overpriced), WTB (TBD)

[Nov 17, 2013]
California_Dave

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, inexpensive, and they roll well.

With low knobs, traction isn't the best. They occasionally get cuts.

I originally bought these tires to replace the race oriented tires that came on my XC bike so that I could save them for race day. I am very glad I stumbled upon the Forte Tsalis because I have really come to appreciate this tire.

Where I live I ride a lot of dry, hard-packed singletrack and fire roads. I also ride on the road. I occasionally ride sandy or loose trails. For this range of conditions, the Tsali performs very well. On the road, it rolls relatively well and corners well. On hard pack, it grips relatively well. In the loose stuff, it's predictable and gets me through, but is not the best tire. And when it gets a cut or wears out, I just throw another one on without thinking about it because they are so inexpensive. I have typically been getting about 1000 miles out of rears, and I haven't replaced a front yet.

I run these tires tubeless on Stan's ZTR Crest rims. I get them to seal up with with a floor pump and a little sealant, and then they are trouble free. I've run them down to 18 PSI in the dirt, and up to 40 PSI on the road.

Performance puts these tires on sale every so often, and so they can be had at around 1/3 to 1/4 of the cost of high-end tires.

Maxxis Aspen