Performance Forte Terra Trac Tire

[Jun 19, 2013]
nholden98
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Great tread, Lightweight, rolls smooth on pavement but is still an aggressive tread.

Hard to set the tire in the rim at first

I just got a set of these tires (from nashbar as the "Nashbar Señor Traction Tires"), and wow, what a difference from my previous prowler mx tires. The tread is very deep and has very large side treads but surprisingly rolls very smooth on the pavement. Before mounting them they seemed to be very flimsy but after being aired up they perform great. These are the Kevlar bead tires, and are very VERY light, much lighter than my old tires. There was one concern when mounting, and that was that at first the bead at spots seemed to seat much lower than the rest of the tire, I had to air them up to 70psi for them to seat correctly but after doing that to both and them dropping it back to 45psi they work great!

[Feb 19, 2011]
tgmillso

OVERALL
Strength:

Fantastic traction
Low weight for size/volume
Great price

???

Lads!!! Do not despair! I have found these again, but under a different brand. They can now be found on the Nashbar website as the "Nashbar Señor Traction MTB Tire" and appear identical to the Terra Trac in the pictures. They are normally priced at $24, but no doubt they will be available at 50% off at some time. Stoked! I was so sad when I found out that Performance were no longer stocking these, so this is the best news I have had all day. These have been amazing tires in the 3 years I have ridden them. Ride great on rocks/roots/lava/gravel, however I am unsure how thorn resistant they are as we don't have a lot of that around here. They are at 2.3, not a 2.1 as advertized, and are significantly taller than a normal 2.1, which seems to limit pinch flats. I am 165lbs and only run these at 25psi on a hardtail and almost never get pinch flats. If you can pick these suckers up for half price, as I did originally, they are a screaming deal.

[May 01, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight. Works great with no tube (using Stan's).

Must have been too good of a deal, because I don't find it in the store, or the web page (darn! I should have bought more).

Great tire.

All the rest...

[Nov 24, 2008]
ikeman47

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, great traction, shed mud/dirt/sand off of tire quickly and still provide sticky traction.

Crazy low price and great performance (no pun intended). I like them better than anything I have tried before on any type of dirt.

nevegals, fire XCs

[Sep 04, 2008]
Marte

OVERALL
Strength:

Very Cheap (7.99/each). Light. A 2.1 is about a 2.2~2.3. Good for sands.

They don't manufacture anymore? Very thin, puncture vines (goatheads) easily pierce through. Hard to find the perfect pressure. Weird tread design which could be redesigned to be more efficient and improve traction. Flings little pebbles and mud and dust against the bike and into your eyes! Have not tried in mud but looks like it would be a problem.

Was looking for a cheaper version of the Panaracer Fire XC Pro. Well, this one is nearly the same weight compared to the Pannies but less traction and is not as immune to flats. Since I am not heavy, i find that the pressure is good around 35~38 psi (below the recommended 40-60 psi). Lateral grip is substantial to pannies but great compared to many others.

DO NOT USE WITH FORTE TUBES!!!! I accidentally left the trail and ended with a flat from goatheads. 12 holes! All, in all, i had more than 15 punctures per tire in less than 3 months of use. Tried to leave an honest review and rating in performance bike .com but they would not allow it! Stupid people.

Panaracer Fire XC Pro, WTB Velociraptors, Kenda Kwickers, Kenda Koyote, CST etc

[Aug 06, 2008]
Jeff

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, super traction, fantastic price

None so far

My Bro In Law Dan said they worked great so I tried them. I like them just as much as the Nevegals and they are 1/3 the price. They are lighter and seem to be wearing very well. I would continue to use them even if they cost as much as all the other brands. I use 35 to 40 PSI with great results. It work in a variety of soils, wet or dry.

Kenda Nevegal, Fire XC pro, panaracer cinder

[Jun 06, 2008]
duanerowe

OVERALL
Strength:

Price! As good as the expensive ones, so far.

Thin sidewalls? Don't know for sure bout that.

After 3 rides, the tire seems good. This tire converts to tubeless OK, using Stan's conversion kit. Stan the Man himself didn't have a comment on how well this tire works with his system, but "thought" it would be OK. So far, so good, but you absolutely have to have an air compressor to convert this to tubeless with Stan's. Just go to the gas station air pupmp with a presta valve adapter, and some quarters. The tire itself rides as well as any other tire I've ridden, so no complaints. Cross country riding with rocky, technical ascents/decents. Given the price, it's a steal.

IRC Mythos

[Sep 10, 2007]
Dave Shanks

OVERALL
Strength:

Holds a line. High volume tire so you can run lower tire pressure, better traction. Low cost. Best tire for the money I have found.

None so far...

After trying everything from Hutchisons to Contis, I tried these Performance tires last fall. What a difference! Feels mcu larger than a 2.1 - more like a 2.25 or 2.3 for other tires. They gave me more control and traction through the turns than anything I had before. Handles rocky, sandy, loamy soil conditions very well. Their high volume allow me to ride at 32 psi at 170 lbs. Great cornering - I don't wash out any more. It also gave me the feel of another 1/2" of travel by running lowere tire pressure. The only other tire that compares is the Specialized Adreneline Pro at twice the price. Buy them - you'll enjoy them...

Specialized Adrenaline Pro, Hutchison Mosquitos, IRC Mythos, WTB Velociraptors, Michelin Wildgripper, Continental Flow

[Aug 23, 2007]
Jim

OVERALL
Strength:

Big, light, smooth riding, easy pedalling, excellent traction

Not flashy, no brag factor

Just had to let people know about this tire. It does everything well once you get the pressures dialed in. I took off a new set of Kenda Nevegals to put these on, and I am not changing back. The Kendas got great traction, but at low speeds on steep climbs, they pedalled like lead. These Terra Tracks pedal much easier, and match the traction of the Kendas. The Vertical pros may have rolled slightly better, but got a little less traction. These Terra Tracks may not be the best tires available, but they are very near the top. When you factor in the price, buying them is a no brainer. I highly recommend them for any trail rider

Panaracer fire, IRC serac, Ritchey Zmax, Hutchinson spider, Kenda nevegal, Conti verticle pro

[Jul 31, 2007]
Johann

OVERALL
Strength:

Long lasting with lugs finally wearing after 2 years and several punctures riding road/trails atleast once a week lasting much longer than original Hutchinson PythonS; Very inexpensive comparitively for Kevlar bead with TPI-120; Easy changes;

Can't say really anything bad about them but haven't used many other tires to compare including original Huthinsons which lasted less than 1 year with way less ridng than current;

I have worn out several sets of these tires and have been very satisfied with durability and certainly price compared to other tires; Regarding handling I have ridden numerous trails in SLC/Park City and Moab/Fruita and have not had any problems but haven't used many other tires to compare; Quality XC tire and worth trying;

Hutchinson Python; Exiwolf;

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.