Panaracer TrailRaker Tire

• ZSG Ultima compound Panaracer's latest ZSG compound utilizes a mixture of polymers and silica to produce a tire with unrivalled grip in wet conditions. ZSG Ultima is also more durable than other soft condition tire compounds.
  • Optimum Knob Pattern By arranging the knob pattern closer to the centre of the tire, the TrailRaker provides maximum grip on even the most extreme of cambers yet will not clog up, even in the muddiest of conditions.
  • Pyramid knobs At 5.5mm in height the centre and middle knobs are designed to dig deep into muddy ground providing maximum traction and performance in wet conditions.
  • "Double Decker" knobs The structure of the central "Double Decker" knobs increases stiffness for improved acceleration and braking.
  • ASB Chafer Panaracer's unique ASB (Anti Snake Bite) chafer is manufactured using anti-rebound rubber to prevent the chance of pinch flats by over 40%.
  • Available in 1.95

• USER REVIEWS

[Nov 23, 2011]
    eshew

OVERALL
    Strength:

Absolutly amazing grip in the nasty stuff. As the trails get nastier the traction gets better. Its almost like riding on dry trails again...

Only available in Europe?!?! none for us State side unless we order & have em shipped. C'mon Panaracer, Western Washington riders need these tires!

Wide spaced knobs dont give great large rock/root performance.

For winter riding in the Pacific Northwest these tires are tough to beat. I ride them on loamy forest floor trails with a few roots here & there. These are high speed singletrack downhills with closely spaced trees & tight corners. Usually we ride at night with lights in the rain. We normally ride as fast as we can while keeping traction...these tires remind me of the dry endless traction days of summer. I am more than happy with the purchase, amazing traction, so much so it's border line unbelievable.

Lots of tires from 1994 onward. This is the 1st mud tire I've tried.

[Oct 14, 2009]
    Gwaredd

OVERALL
    Strength:

Pure mud grip, supreme rut/gulley tracking, good price

Slighty loose feeling on fireroads, slight drag.

After reading some of the reviews, I was expecting these tyres to either grip like snot to a blanket or it would be like riding Bambi on an ice rink.

Well, I'm pleased to report that they do exactly what it says on the tin. They grip in mud. Out on the dry stuff (gravel fire roads) they do seem a bit fidgety, especially up front, but this is purely down to the large nobles. For general riding, they grip fine & didn't spit me off at the first corner like so many reviewers seemed to think they would. Frankly, if you're riding a mud tyre on gravel that hard, you deserve to come off.

Where these tyres really excel, is in the deep 4x4 ruts. Normal tyres have grip on the outer edges & these can grab the edge of the rut & pull you off (ooer!) Because the trailrakers don't have any, they just follow the line of the rut & if you do drift into the edges, you just roll off the edge of the smooth tyre & back onto your line.

If you ride plenty of wooded areas that get boggy this time of year that gets shared with 4x4's, get these. If you're a fire road queen, get something else.

Tioga Factory XC

Continental Mountain King

[Sep 06, 2009]
    warpcow

OVERALL
    Strength:

Grip in mud, clears fast, reasonable grip on other trail surfaces too for a mub-specific tire, relatively light (576g on my scale).

Lack of side knobs is scary at first, slow roller on hardpack/road, skinnier than most 2.1s (more like a 1.9 Nokian I had a few years ago).

I'd never tried a dedicated mud tire before, always choosing to stick with the proven all-rounders like Panaracer's Fire XC and various Conti tires. Unfortunately this meant I opted not to ride a lot of my local trails in winter.

On my 1st ride the Trailraker was scary on the road, it just won't corner on wet tarmac, but this is far outweighed by it's abilities on wet trails. I purposefully rode the muddiest trails I could find, the ones I used to avoid, and always came back with a big muddy grin on my face. It finds grip where you wouldn't think possible in the mud. True, the lack of side-knobs mean it does deflect a lot off rocks and roots but this only took a few minutes to get used to.

There may be better mud tires out there, but I haven't tried them yet. Based on this tires performance in the situations it was designed for though, it has to get 5 chilis. Not sure about durability yet but I ride quite a lot (100-200km per week) so lasting 'til Spring will make me happy.

Never used a dedicated mud tire before but various Conti, Panaracer, Nokian.

[Jul 03, 2009]
    airman

OVERALL
    Strength:

good mud clearing and exceptional traction in the wet

when the trails start to dry up these tires roll very slow

When the going gets muddy these tires are great! I've used the Mud Pro and the Medusa but the Trail Rakers worked the best under really bad conditions. When conditions get drier these treads slow you down but they will get you through when most other tires would not. When the mud is really sticky they will get bogged down like any other tire... I'm not going to rate these tires based on dry trails or road because they aren't intended for that... 5 chilies for mud slinging!

Fire Mud Pro, Medusa

[Aug 21, 2008]
    amt27

OVERALL
    Strength:

None really, quite light weight, look nice.

They just loose traction with no warning and you have no way of recovering. I have had these for about 8 months and used them about 10 times. Its been raining in the UK quite a bit and my other tyres were loosing traction, so I thought I would try these for the summer mud, big mistake. The front tyre complete lost in on a slippery single track, it took me ages to gain control of the bike again, then I slowed down to carry on and it slipped again, I completely lost in and whiped out. My other tyres were fine on this section a few days ago. Now I have a busted derailleur hanger and my chain is pretty dead after I converted it to SS to get home.
    I was literally cacking myself for the rest of the ride, waiting for them to whipe out again, not fun.
    The nobbles are just too big and have no stability. Any climbing out of the saddle has no traction and the rear feels like a flat as the nobbles move around.
    Mud clearance is slow.
    I admit that no tyre is good on roots, but cos of the spacing of the nobbles and there size, this tyres looses it very quickly. The same goes for anything off camber.
    They are not too bad on loose fire trails, but then so are many other tyres.
    This tyre could probably handle a flat section of mud, but then who actually rides through that for 100% of their ride.
    It also clogged quickly in chalky mud.

dangerous and will cost you in spare parts when you whipe out,
    they are also expensive from a shop, low score for that too,

in the 90s I used a Spike which was amazing
    Specialised Resolution Pro

[Jul 15, 2008]
    shanedawg

Strength:

What a terrible name!!! Who was the moron who came up with this kind of junk. Might as well call the sierra club and tell them that people who ride these mtn bikes are messing up the trails.

this company sucks. I talked to the owner at the sea otter about his naming choices for tires and how they might have a negative impact on the way that mtn bikers are viewed in trail access issues and he laughed in my face. What a jerk!

most any tire except panaracer

[Mar 20, 2006]
    Dean Marshall

OVERALL
    Strength:

Extremely grippy in deep mud

Absolutely useless in any other conditions

I am a pretty fit rider with a real quick bike but these tyres required at least 25% more effort to ride than any other tyre I have used. In fact they slowed me down so much that I went to the Doctor to see if I had a medical problem! But as soon as I changed them I was back to my usual form. They are amazingly grippy in very deep and sticky mud but in general given their performance and cost I could not recommend them to anyone.

Lots

[Jan 23, 2007]
    Mel

OVERALL
    Strength:

mounts perfectly on the rims with no wobbling; balanced weight distribution; high treads

none observed although I have been using it for a year already

Best tyre I ever used by far. Never experienced at pinched flat despite tire pressure of 30 psi. Though rated as a wet condition tyre, it gives good traction on both wet and dry conditions, uphill, downhill,loose gravel, and river crossings. In the Philippines, this is an expensive tyres like the Kenda Nevegal but I still think the Trailraker is better. Haven't found anything better. I recommend you try it.

Nokian X-Trak, Michelin, Specialized, Continental, Geax

[Jan 23, 2006]
    Richard Green

OVERALL
    Strength:

Grip in wet or sticky mud.

Don't know yet

I have been getting wary of hitting mud or puddles fast as my front wheel would just slip all over the place. Not so with the Panaracer Trailraker; the front wheel just cuts through the mud. Back wheel slipping is much reduced too, so I can get through bad mud patches with ease. Some of these mud patches I have ridden through just recently have just sucked the bike down to a stop, so it has been a relief to be able to ride through them. They don't get clogged like the other tyres I have used, and they're good over harder, dryer ground and tarmac too. I will leave them on the bike as the weather gets dryer and see how I get on with them, but right now these are the best tyres I have fitted to this bike by far.

Specialized, Kenda

[Jan 20, 2006]
    Richard

OVERALL
    Strength:

Grip is very muddy conditions. Good exercise due to excessive rolling resistance!!!

Unpredictable, skiddy in roots, climbs up ruts, Very high rolling resistance. I have the Puncture resistant version, but they seem to puncture just like any other tire!

These tires are hard work. They have good grip in sloppy mud but are rubbish in any other conditions. Beware of roots in mud. Beware of ruts in mud. Unpridictable. My punctur resistant version of this tire puncture just like any other MTB tire. I'm sticking to my IRC Mythos XC2 in future, which offer nearly as much grip in soft mud anyway!

IRC Mythos XC, IRC Mythos XC2, Hutchinson Bulldog, Kenda

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.