Panaracer TrailBlaster Tire

Building onThe concept of Fire,TrailBlaster incorporates a completely new and proprietary compoundThat provides outstanding grip with excellent durability. AddTremendous weight savings and you have what could possibly beThe next XCTire king. Weighing in at a mere 520g forThe 2.1,TheTrailBlaster gives you a fullTread, full knobbyTireThat performs in all conditions, allTheTime. Size: 26x2.1 Type: Front or Rear Weight: 520 grams Pressure Rat

[Feb 19, 2009]
Warrior til death

OVERALL
Strength:

Was on sale, so I got a great deal! Light durable, looks sporty, & slight blue/black mix sidewall matches my frame color. Good grip on the edges yet fast enough on the hard pack. I use a tire liner & inflate tire to recommended max. pressure, so I've had no problem with looseness stretching or tube exposure. Tread wear seems very minimal(3 mos.) so far...

None to my knowledge.

I've had these tires on my bike for only 3 mos. For spending less than $30.00 on the pair. I can never complain. If these tires reach even near 1 year in life. I'll have to put them in my personal hall of fame. Think I'll stick with Panaracers when I need to go buy replacements for these. Probably upgrade to a "higher" set!!

Kenda Blue Groove, Klaw & Nevagal. Maxxis Ignitor and Fu Fooey Sheng Shin brand?(dept.store) some "Chinese" made crap?!

[Jun 09, 2008]
Tweebler

OVERALL
Strength:

good traction as a back tire

Fit too loosely on rim - blow off front.

I am surprised there are not more comments about how unsafe these are, especially as a front tire. I have had the tire roll off the front rim (Sun UFO) twice with the tube billowing out like putrifying bratwurst. Luckily was slow speed. A friend also had this tire do the same thing - scary if going downhill rapidly. They go on and come off without levers and quite simply, the kevlar bead is too loose. Too bad because, otherwise, seems like a great tread pattern for New England, Maritimes Canada conditions.

fire, velociraptor, miche, etc.etc.

[Jul 11, 2003]
Matt

OVERALL
Strength:

Lite weight. Good on smooth fire roads and great tracking on flat rock.

Tread pattern wasn't deep enough to hook up on loose gravel and roots.

Tested kevlar 2.1 model on rear w/~40 lbs pressure.
Didn't really hookup for the terrain I ride (mix of single track and trails which are close to fire roads). Was great on the tamer stuff and flat rock climbs, but didn't hook up at all on roots and loose gravel. I first took it out on the rain and it wasn't that great so tried it a few more rides when it was dry - no difference.
I'll try it on the front later and report on that.
Might try a Michelin Wildgripper Hot S if I can find it in black.

WTB Velocirapter. (I was looking for something slightly smoother than the 'raptor - will have to keep looking).

[Jul 10, 2003]
William Fu

OVERALL
Strength:

Superlight weight for 1.80 tire that has full knobs

tire width, wet rock and root traction.

This review is only for the 1.80 tire. Did solo 8 hour and solo 24 hour race on these tire with the occasional cross country races thrown in . excellent tire for hardpack conditions. with light weight tubes you can easily drop a half a pound to 1 pound from your wheels depending on what tires you run. Advertised weight was 400 grams but average weight of tire that i got was 420 grams.Wet rock and wet root traction bites. Deep sand causes front tire to wash out in corners. Thin width makes tire tricky to ride over rocks. the tire deflects a lot more than a thicker tire would. Ran tire at 40psi any higher, tire is to harsh. Not recomended a trail tire race only, as a regular trail tire 3 chili's as a cross country race tire 5 chili's

everything, from tioga farmer johns, panaracer smokes, all ritchey tires, all michelin tires

[Jun 16, 2003]
Ken Sechler

OVERALL
Strength:

Seemed to resist pinch flatting

Did not handle damp conditions well.

This is not a complete review. I only used the tire in damp conditions. The trails I ride are very rocky and it has rained like heck here this spring. All those rocks are slicker than snot now.

That being said, I was very disappointed in the traction. This tire (used on rear only) had an alarming tendency to wash out side to side on even the slightest off-camber. Uphill traction was equally disappointing with frequent spin-outs. The braking however was solid and the tire seemed to resist pinch flatting (but time will tell on this count).

I don't like to give poor reviews, but after my last ride I will religate this to the scrap pile. For damp conditions Fire XC's are a much better choice. Even my IRC Mythos's hook up better. I will give it one more try when the trails dry out. I suspect the tire will behave much better in dryer, hard pack conditions. I will try to submit another review then.

Fire XC, IRC Mythos, Smoke/Dart, Velociraptors, etc.

[May 31, 2003]
freddie

OVERALL
Strength:

Definitely fast rolling for a full knobby, light, grippy in a variety of technical conditions, excellent climbing traction.

Feels a little sketchy on fast fire roads that have a loose, sandy top layer over hardpack.

Great tire! A rare combination of a full knobby that rolls fast. I like one tire that I can trail ride on technical stuff as well as do the occasional cross country race and this tire is one of the few that can do both well. Compared to the Hutchinson Pythons (a fine tire in its own right) that I was running on before, the Trailblasters are way better in braking, technical singletracks, rocks, and holding a line on off camber straights and corners. Only the aforementioned fireroad conditions give it some problems, but this is a compromise I can live with.

Definitely get the 2.1 (only 530g) size . The 2.1 Trailblasters are not a "high volume" tire. In addition, they're a bit narrower than my 2.0 Pythons. Even at my weight, 135lbs, I notice they are not as supple as the Pythons despite running them at the same pressures (30 lbs front, 32lbs rear).

Hutchinson Python, Bontrager Super Revolts (total crap), IRC Mythos, Michelin Wildgripper Comp S Lights (total crap 2).

[May 28, 2003]
Sprocketeer

OVERALL
Strength:

The design is a work of art. These are about as well designed as the Thompson Elite seatpost. Add these to the best-of-the-best line of products. These are just awesome tires.

They put carbon down the center to increase the durability and strength of the tire, but made the sides softer to grab on hard turns. Even better though, they made this gradual across the tread, so it's always just right.

I can only say they don't shed mud as well as Hutchinson Alligator Golds, but those tires are so heavy (800 grams) that it's just a matter of considering the trade-off. Do you want to do anything tires or are you a weight weenie who wants high performance besides. I'm the latter, so I can accept this as a minor weakness. The Hutchinsons don't beat these in the turns though.

Also, I don't like the look of the colors on the Trail Blasters, so I went with black/black, but probably would have done so regardless.

I love these tires. I'm particularly high on them after a year on the Bontrager Jones AC tires that came with my bike--which I seriously think were going to get me killed.

The only other tires I've ever really thought were great were the Hutchinson Alligator Golds. The Hutchinsons are really heavy though, at 800 grams compared to only about 540 grams on the Trail Blasters. These tires are even lighter than the Firc XC Pros--which I think were the lightest knobbies in the world until these came along.

The construction and materials are really state-of-the art on the Trail Blasters. I especially like the idea of putting carbon in the center.

These tires cut and grab better than anything I've ever used.

Hutchinson (awesome but heavy), Bontrager (the worst tires I've used ever since I started riding seriously long, long ago), IRC (very nice), and these (which I'll be using from now on I believe).

[May 22, 2003]
Iceaxe

OVERALL
Strength:

Umm... light weight

don't roll fast, horrible breaking, and they are perhaps the worst cornering tire I've ever used.

Front or rear, it doesn't matter, this tire sucks!! They roll OK at higher pressures but don't give any traction. Drop the pressure and they gain a little bit of traction but then they roll like moto cross tires. You just can't win. This review is for the 2.1 version.

Fire XC pro 2.l; Conti vert pro 2.3

[Sep 07, 2003]
Jon Hall

OVERALL
Strength:

Extremely Rigid - Predictable Grip - Can be used on all types of terrain; sand, mud, rock, root, pebble, gravel, pavment - Light weight - Easy to mount -

Measures as 2.0, not 2.1 as advertised - some vibration on pavement, but no biker should be concerned with this if they are doing any type of real riding (which is off road - thus the name "cross county" or "downhill" or "mountain biking!!!!" DO NOT USE WITH STAN'S NO TUBES -It will blow off the rim. NO TUBES is a joke for the most part any way!! Only use with UST tires for added puntcure resistence - the intended use for tube tires by manufacturer's specs is "tires to be used with tubes" your chancing your own safety using NO TUBES in a TUBE tire - think about it!

I am absolutely shocked at some of the reviews I have read and must point out that anyone who is disappointed with any tire they buy because it washes out when they ride on rocks and roots in wet conditions is deceived as to the performance they should expectfrom any tire. These people are not going to sustain in those conditions on any tire and they might consider their ability to ride their bikes (or inablility). REALISTICALLY, these tires are awesome. I ride in New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Southern California and I cannot emphasize enough that this is one of the only, if not ONLY, Do-All tires there are. The nobbies are stout, yet the tire is only 520 grams! The nobbies over center are smooth to get even contact and reduces rolling resistence. The nobbies are tall and cut large and strait so they catch roots and edges of rock or paddle in sand and mud. The angles they set the other small nobbies bite in turns and the side nobbies are doubled so they don't tear. This tire has not yet begun to wear and I have placed 250 miles of large jagged rock on them at all angles and skids and the steepest of downhills and sharpest of turns. The tire has spent 50 miles on pavement - no effect. They are fast and they are in control and take any skidding or beating you can give them. (I weigh 200 lbs on top of that!!) To let you know what other tires I think are good to compare these to are any continental (Explorer and verticals knobs break to easily on rock, but otherwise are the best all around traction - because rigidity is most important when riding the ridiculously rocky terrain I am on in Tulsa, which is worse than california and the rocky mountains in New Mexico, I chose the trailblasters. Also, the pythons are horrible in softened hard pack and sand and mud - though are durable and plush on rock. The Revolt is fast, but only for hard pack, and the AC Jones does not offer any consistent bite - too much flat surface nobbie to gain traction. Any Michelin made - well, they should never have been made; the Wild Gripper is exactly as it's name implies - an unpredictable wild gripper - I chucked them. As for the Trailblaster, I hope they will be around forever!!!!!!! They function exactly as their name implies!!!! Enjoy!!! PS - Would some of you guys proof read your typing - you appear to be illiterate or lazy and it ruins the credibility of your reviews!!!!!!!

Continenetal Explorer, Hutchinson Python, Bontrager Revolt, Michelin "No-gripper" (Wildgripper), Bontrager AC Jones.

[Aug 04, 2007]
Mike Hong

OVERALL
Strength:

Huge Footprint, thanks in part to my wider 28mm rims, good corner knobs and pretty light for an all-around Cross Country Tire.

None so far

Good tire so far.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.