Panaracer Mach SS Tire

Suitable for high speed, dry, cross-country riding and racing.

[Apr 14, 2003]
FishMan

OVERALL
Strength:

low rolling resistance, solid cornering

obviously, they are intended for XC racing, and only work well for that

First of all, seems like many other reviewers were using these tires out of context. If you want to commute, get full slicks with the nice round profile (I like my town and country). If you're in the mud, get something narrow and knobbie. If you're just riding, get something more agressives.

Now, if you're racing and the trail isn't a swamp or really rocky and loose, these tires are excelent. They corner very well for a semi slick, almost as well as my Tioga Factory DH/WTB Weirwolf tires, and infact, better on leaf covered trails. And of course they roll faster. But really, being able to carry speed through the corners is how races are won here in the midwest, and these tires do it pretty well.

Continental semi slicks, Mythos, and other tires ad infinatum

[May 23, 2000]
SGT ROCK

OVERALL
Strength:

Price
Low rolling resistance
Corner well

Weak sidewalls

Ran this tire with a Mach SK in the rear. This tire corners much better than you'd expect, although it's sketchy on off camber stuff and hard braking. Durability wasn't there - this tire showed the same sidewall abrasions that did in the SK (see review). I have a pair of Bontrager SS's that I've been riding occasionally for two years, even used them for the '99 Leadville 100, and they still look like new, so it ain't my riding. Can't recommend this tire at all.

Bontrager SS

[Apr 05, 1999]
MikeD
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

these thngs are so smooth and super fast tires. I recomend them to anyone they are a great tire. they corner well and they still brake, which is more than I can say about my double fighters. They are a great tire. I only run 2 mach ss because I've heard the mach sk sucks, so go with the two mach ss and run them in the smae direction it works better.

Haven't realy found many other than they do do shit in buddy stuff and extremely technical trails I'd run a knobby on the front but other than that they work great.

these are the best semi slick tires I've tried yet, sure they might not be the fastest on the flats butt hey offer the best grip and they corner better than any of the other slicks I've tried. Good tires I'd recomend just running 2 mach ss tires running in the same direction and you'll be fine for almost any kind of conditions.

Continental double fighters, specialized dirt baldy's.

[Mar 31, 1998]
Winston
cross-country rider

The SS and it's partner the SK kick ass! Just finished a bike tour
of New Zealand and these tires thoroughly amazed me. They work
better than any semi-slick has a right to. Quick. Holds their own
on most any surface (except on really loose stuff) as long as you
keep your stroke smooth. In 1200 miles around NZ on singletrack,
gravel roads, and tarseal, had not one complaint. These tires
work as advertised... absolutely amazing

[May 24, 1998]
Pat
downhiller

OVERALL

The mach ss is a really good tire. It handles very good in corners and has pretty good speed but not quit as fast as the michline sprint and it packs up abit in mud. Over all it is a good early season tire but i would not use it once the ground starts to loosen up.

[May 17, 1998]
Willy
weekend warrior

OVERALL

Absolutley love them. I use them mostily on gravel and hardpack dirt trails. I've lost some traction (on hills), but the speed is well worth it. I even use them on paved trails a little. They are much better than knobbies for the type of riding I do. 5 peppers from me.

[Jan 05, 2001]
Doug

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast! Light weight. Seem to be pinch-flat resistant.

They need to be inflated to a pretty high pressure to roll on the smooth (fast) part of the tire. Maybe not the most durable tire in the world.

I ran these tires for 2 years as my city tires. I rode them off road on real singletrack once, and they seemed to work ok- not nearly as well as Fire XC's though. I wouldn't reccomend them for serious off-road riding unless you want to be very careful, or are a racer. They rule for tearing around in the city since they are fast and I never got a pinch flat with them (even though I am 200 lbs and hit curbs regularly). Today I seem to have blown a hole in the sidewall resulting in a flat and a long walk home :( The hole appeared after only a 2 foot drop so the tires must have been worn out. The tread was still in pretty good shape though. I think I got them pretty cheap and would have got them again if my LBS still carried them. I had to get Ritchey Speedmax K's. I hope they work as well as the Mach SS's.

Ritchey Speed Max (just replaced the Mach's with them) Tioga Psycho, Panaracer Fire XC

[Oct 06, 2000]
Karl

OVERALL
Strength:

Very fast on dry land, very low resistance, good braking, very strong, no flats so far. Very fast on Pavement. They grip well on hard pack, use these for dry weather.

Very bad on wet weather. Do not use on Gravel whatever you do. Intend to wear out faster then usual tires. Semi-slicks are not for wet weather anyways.

These are awesome for dry land. If you are going in a XC race, and the weather is dry, use these. These are super fast, light weight and grip well uphill and downhill. But be VERY careful on gravel. My front tire slipped doing a very very small turn and almost wiped out. These are good tires. I wasn't dissapointed.

[Aug 07, 2000]
SailorU

OVERALL

For riding on pavement, I hate rolling resistance, and the SS are very good on the rear. Since I am a hotdog rider, I found the SS on trails with exposed roots and loose dirt to slip alot. Maybe it is just me. Where I found these tires to work really well is in the snow covered streets. Whether hard packed snow, slush, loose snow, even dirty ice, the SS on the rear grips really well. Snow in Edmonton lasts for about 4-5 months and I have found that the SS works better than knobbies sush as Specialized team controls, Tioga hound dwags, and Ritchy team force on the rear in the snow. The knobbies bit into the snow and break traction when pedaling hard through the snow but the SS tread is like a file and just pushes aside the loose snow and grips the hard stuff. I guess the contact patch is continuous so traction does not break.

anyway, these are really good rear snow tires for the streets.

[Jul 21, 2000]
Pat Mc Nulty

OVERALL
Strength:

Low rolling resistance.

Quick tread wear. Skittish on Northern Illinois hardpack. Almost no control in front when muddy.

Great if going straight. Scary on moderate to tight turns. Poor control during muddy season. Used Mach SK on rear. Really preferred Panaracer Fire XC.......

Maxxi worm drive

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.