Panaracer Dart Classic Tire

A classicTread pattern returns!This front-specificTire features optimized knobs for corneringTraction. 660grams 35-65 PSI Combo it up withThe Smoke rearTire and hitTheTrail

[Jun 17, 2018]
Fishiman

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast rolling on dirt and digs into loose or rocky trails. Like another reviewer said I think reversing the tire may make sense as it seems the “darts” pointing forward on the ground images more sense. It’s not what you see from the handlebars but what is actually touching the trail. I am going to try this.

Not strong on hard pack trails where you need more tread touching the ground. Has slipped out on me on banks and switchbacks but only when the surface is hard.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2012
[Apr 29, 2015]
Trev

OVERALL
Strength:

If installed with the tread on the ground pointing towards the front they are excellent. Cuts through gravel and gets down to business!

20 years later and the engineers still don't get it! Front tyres are for braking... the tread should be designed to cut into the ground due to the forces of braking. Unfortunately they stuffed up with the directional arrow on these. Fit them the "wrong" way around and marvel at the difference in handling.

It's important that the V profile of both the tread blocks and the tread pattern point towards the front on the contact patch. Looking down from your handle bars they should look like they are "pointing" at you. Fit them as shown by the directional arrow on the tyre and under braking forces the tread will pull material under the contact patch and make these feel like a squirrelly squirmy useless tyre. Turn them around and you've suddenly got a traction master piece, cuts deep to get to the solid ground.

[Feb 24, 2012]
jsmith75

OVERALL
Strength:

Low price, No tube punctures or pinch flats yet.

Treads seem to be wearing quickly and I try to stay off the pavement with them.

Replaced the stock Bontragers with these because of slipping. Good tire for a person with a limited biking budget. If you put a lot of miles on in a year you may want to invest in a more durable tire. I have been happy with them so far and it looks like I might get another riding season out of them before needing replacement. I have not noticed any handling issues on corners or when applying front brakes heavily.

WTB Velociraptor, Bontrager LT3

[Apr 16, 2011]
kcolbou

OVERALL
Strength:

Grip, Cornering

Best tire I've used. I always knew what to expect from them. Didn't matter if I was cornering fast in driving rain 20mph or single tracking in the fall on leaves. Always held, if you slid at all it was easy to keep from going into a full slide or loosing it all together. I'll buy them again. I also never had a flat or any other problem. Wore well without loosing grip.

[Sep 09, 2010]
kalipay

OVERALL
Strength:

fast on hardpack and when climbing.

it will dump you on loose or off cambered turns especially when going downhill. not good on gravel, sand, and silt either.

good for commuting on tame trails because of low roll resistance and doesn't wear out too quickly but not recommended for adventurous cross country rides. just use the fire xc pro for both front and rear. they're a little more expensive but handles fast turns better.

kenda nevegal, panaracer fire xc pro.

[Jul 13, 2010]
Marquism1

OVERALL
Strength:

Pretty good tire when new and relatively inexpensive.

Never great on off-camber stuff, but pretty poor after some wear.

I used to like these tires better than I do now. Like some others have noted below, I found traction to fall off quickly after even a little wear. When these are new, they're pretty grippy but as soon as the edges on those sharpish fins of front tire tread get worn they just don't hold very well anymore. At least with the Smoke rear you can flip it around and get a little more wear out of the other edges, but these only go one way for sure. If you don't ride slippy loose over hard or wet or lots of off-camber stuff these are still OK, but there are better tires out there for trickier riding.

Every other tire

[Jun 06, 2010]
mike jackson

OVERALL
Strength:

worked until they died. and would work with missing lugs on the tire revealing the caseing and still used Duct tape to close the hole in the tire

I couldn't find any but mud & damp conditions, but this is Texas we don't stay wet, we's a dusty town here in Austin

This review may answer the question about the old Dart/ smoke classics. These tires have been around for about I'd say 2o yrs. I rode these tires, back in 91 when I was much more aggressive of a rider(a lot of injuries& broken bones)I took these tires to the easiest trail to the hardest trail(emma long if you're from Austin) around and even out of town. I put those tires through hell, & even rode them with missing lugs torn to the inner casing. the combo gripped hard enogh in the rear that on slight up hill climbes or on really technical trails the front wheel would lift about 6" and the with me over the front tire and a 32+ mph down hill and still gaining speed, I was clocked by the gut be hind me trying to stay with me.In mud,damp they were no good. in dry, I had to hold on because thses tires would throw me out of a corner or off the bike if I wasn't paying attention. The bottom line. Those tired ruled. I could depend on them, beat on them, and havn't found one to date that comes close to what the gave me in return. Now that i've found the in a local bike shop for 24 apiece... They'll be replacing a new set of Kenda Komotos. IMO those tires hooked up & the only tire that runs a close second is the Maxxis Ignighters. Yes I'm still impressed with them 18 yrs. later. I'd buy'em for 50 apiece if that's what they cost. if your having trouble with them hooking up lower the pressure& change some of the was you load the bike in climbs and turns just my 2 cents worth.Also look at how long they've been around vs tires that didn't make it. Now i'm gonna be riddin with Stan's in them, i'll bet they totally rip and hopefully scare me in a good way...... WWWOOOOOOOOOHOOOoo!!!!!

different brands over 18 plus yrs

[May 21, 2010]
headshot

OVERALL
Strength:

Light Weight
Name (LoL)
Looks Fast

Lack of Grip

I found the Dart to be a truly horrible tyre.I have never been one to put much faith in mnfr claims - a tyre is a tyre - and most I have used have worked reasonably well. The Dart was however the only tyre I have taken off a bike because it was so completely useless. I felt unsafe riding with it as a front tyre. It had less cornering grip than anything else I have ever ridden. Maybe the newer versions are better, but the tread pattern looks the same...

Host of other brands over 16 years of mountain biking

[Mar 29, 2010]
LuckyDog

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap

Cheap
Unpredictable

With dollars short, I tried to save some money when I needed to put new shoes on my hard tail. Having heard decent reviews about the Smoke-Dart combo I thought I would give it a try. Looking at the big knobs in the store, I knew these would not have the lowest rolling resistance out there but the looked like they would offer decent traction and the overall weight was pretty low so I hoped they would not roll to badly. Unfortunately, the low weight came at the expense of some very thin sidewalls so I spent a lot of time fixing flats until I got some very heavy duty tubes which has pretty much negated any weight savings that I may have had.

Now that I have been able to keep my tires up and running, I'm still less than impressed. These tires are all or nothing when it comes to traction (both the Smoke and the Dart). Both have a very square profile so if you are leaning a turn it is all hold until you push it to the edge then it lets go completely. Other tires that I have run give you a little warning with a nice predictable slide before letting go - not so with these, no warning whatsoever and no chance to regain traction unless you can pull it back to vertical. Same thing in the back while climbing - if you get a little spin these just won't link back up and let you recover even when running very low tire pressure. Unfortunately, I am going to have to run these a little longer but as soon as I can afford to take these off they are gone.

Velociraptors, Crossmarks, Wild Grippers, Fires

[May 02, 2009]
derailin_palin

OVERALL
Strength:

Low rolling resistance, great in hardpack

Sketchy on dusty or sandy hardpack

This is for the 2.1" Dart.
The good: Rolls light and fast.

The bad: It's fairly narrow and sits up high, and the ridged tread point up like a flattop haircut, giving the tire a square profile on the side. This makes for a sketchy feeling in dry, sandy conditions. The more you lean into a turn, the more those vertical knobs deform and squirm out of the way.

I've had this tire for 5 months, riding the same trail day in and out in wet and dry conditions - wet to moist, it does great. But for dry conditions it's too sketchy.