Panaracer Cinder Tire

The Cinder isThe heir apparentToThe classic Fire XCTire. It incorporates Panaracers newest "ZSG Ultima" compound, a blend of Silica and CarbonThat delivers superior grip and dry and wet conditions. Multi-height knobs further help it stickToTheTrail, and allThis with rolling resistanceThat improves uponThe FireTreadToo. Type: Front or Rear Intended Use: Aggressive XC, All Mountain Weight: 26 x 2.1" - 650 grams26 x 2.25" - 78

[Nov 27, 2009]
Capt Slow

OVERALL
Strength:

Inexpensive, good grip in most conditions, strong side walls

Not the fastest rolling tyre

In the damp conditions of Wales this proves to be a 3 season tyre. Lots of grip, predictable and pretty much puncture resistant. It does slip in gloopy conditions and it doesn't roll fast in the dry hardpack, otherwise fab tyre!

Fire, Maxxis Larsens & Crossmarks, Tiogas

[Jul 12, 2009]
MTBJong

OVERALL
Strength:

2.25" Tire: Good grip in mud and soft soil. Clear well. Seem to resist thorns and flats. Last a while.

Very slow rolling. Really bad grip in loose terrain. Not a confident braking tire. Wash out in the corners. Very drifty. Bead strech.

I am surprised how well reviewed these tires are. I used these for a year when I was learning to ride trail. They were fine for that. However, once I started riding faster and more aggressively they were unable to keep up. Just about every other tire I have used (even skinny XC tires) has been a better all rounder.

For overall use, the issues:
-The cinder is so slow, it makes a sticky nevegal seem fast.
-The side konbs are flexy and don't hold well in the corners.
-The main knobs are too far spaced and provide poor straight line traction for acceleration and braking.
-This tire on the rear, is so easy to lock up even with weak cable discs.
-Weight is high compared to similar trail tires with folding beads.

In loose stuff tire gives only mediocre grip for loose climbs. Skids all over the place on the way down and in corners, if you hardly tap the rear brake you will drift every one.

The rubber compound is pretty hard and should last a long time. However the center knobs are sparse and those that are there get rounded off pretty quick. After about 6 months I started noticing that the kevlar beads were stretching and started getting looser on my rims.

The tire is a ok value, but a poor performer overall. The only place the tire shines is soft dirt and mud.

Nevegal, Spesh Eskar, Purgatory, The Captain, resolution.

[Jul 07, 2009]
dnicholasr

OVERALL
Strength:

Zero punctures on both the 2.1 and 2.25. Long lasting. Aggressive and predictable.

Hard to find. 2.25 is a little heavy.

I am a 235 lb rider. I mostly ride western desert terrain which includes: pea gravel, lava rock, scree, sand and slickrock. The surface varies from loose to loose over hard pack. These tires grip. Because they grip so well so will find them a little slower. When using the 2.25 tires I usually use one gear lower during the climbs. When pushed really hard they will break loose but will reacquire the track if you don't over react. I have ridden the famous Gooseberry Mesa, UT and Boot Leg Canyon, NV with these tires without a single failure. It seems I am always in search of the right tire and always end up with Panaracer. The Nevegal rates high on many magazines but they can not hang here. Less than 100 miles (6 rides) before the sidewall fails. MTB Action must get a commission for pushing such a weak tire. I will end my search for the perfect tire by using only the Cinder for all my bikes.

Panaracer Fire XC, Kenda Nevegal, WTB Raptors, etc

[Jun 30, 2009]
Apex

OVERALL
Strength:

Grip!Grip!Grip!
Very good in the wet too, but not wet mossy rocks
They just stick to almost anything

None really

After riding on the Bontragers for a season and not being able to push it for fear that I'd loose traction and hurt myself I have glad I tried the Cinders out, these tires can handle just about anything. Considering that most tires suck in the wet I was pleasently surprised to see these tires do well in the wet, the Bontragers were like riding on ice in the wet, the Cinder's shed mud very well and can handle wet roots rather well too, but not perfect. In the dry they are flawless, climbing steep rocky, sandy and loose rock trails are easy with the Cinder's, they just bite down with no spinning. They also track well on technical decents which helps inspire confidence.

These tires are close to perfect in my books.

Bontrager Jones XCR, Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4

[May 11, 2009]
Doomrider

OVERALL
Strength:

Traction over anything!

A bit heavy.

I ride on technical East Coast trails, plenty of mud, water, leaves, grass, fallen logs, ROCKS, etc. I had Kenda Nevegals before I switched to the Panaracer Cinders. The Cinders feel GREAT, so much traction! I was able to bring my tire pressure up to 42+lbs for better rolling and I haven't slipped on anything yet. If you're worried about the weight, get over it, the traction is WELL worth it. Give these a try! You won't regret it!

Kenda Nevegal, Maxxis Ignitor, Specialized S-Works.

[Mar 16, 2009]
xcblazer

OVERALL

Firstly, impossible to endo turn in even slightly moist conditions, very little grip on acceleration, little to no grip on rocks/roots, don't hold up on slightly technical terrain and can't handle quick turning.

Useless for any rider racing or even riding in Scotland or any other potentially slightly moist conditions.

Maxxis Highrollers, Panaracer Trailrakers, Continentals (various)

[Feb 22, 2009]
przybyle

OVERALL
Strength:

Good quality tire, climbs very well. Good grip in most conditions except mud. I am using the 1.95's.

Not the fastest tire. If buying it for an all around tire go for the 2.1's.

Good all around tire for most conditions, but not likely a racing tire.

Specialized team control

[Feb 08, 2009]
Dennis R

OVERALL
Strength:

Tall knobs, long lasting and not prone to snake bits when properly inflated. Great traction on the climbs and descents. Good traction during hard turns. Predictable handling. Rolls fast on the downhills and flats.

Not a race tire. That is why I like it.

The Element has 2.1 tires. In almost two full seasons of riding I have had only one snakebit flat and that was from a hard flat rock hit. This tire climbs very well, and handles all the typical south west desert riding conditions with ease. I will not change away from the tire even if someone gave me free tires.

The Slayer has 2.25 tires. Do not let the size change mislead you. While the size change is minor the thread pattern is greatly increased. I just this tire on all the ugly trail rides including the ski resorts. Not one snakebite in two years.

I think many people who are experiencing snakebites are running to low a tire pressure to make up for poor suspension setups on their bikes. I see this problem all the time on the trails. Most prople do not spend the time to fine the sweet spot. It is really simple. A couple psi above the snakebite setting is a good place to start.

For the record, I weigh 235 pounds and while I am a skilled rider I do not shy away from the rough stuff. I like trails that rattle your bones. Let the smooth trails be for the tourists and the weekend riders.

Settings:
Element: 38 psi front - 40 psi rear
Slayer: 36 psi front - 38 psi rear

All of you big rider should give this tire a shot.

Kenda Nevegals, Fire XC Pro, Jones,etc.

[Oct 10, 2008]
hungry for heaven

OVERALL
Strength:

Really grips the corners .Cannot let the mind wander to much with these babies on. Climbs like a billy goat almost insane ,Goes over logs and stuff well because of the tacky grip.Really flys down switchbacks with incredible speed .

Mabey not a race tire cause the treads are to deep and they might be a little slow on sleepy long singletack.

Great tires for speed on hills and technical track .Lots of confidence with thse tires below me.

WTB wierwof ,WTB Exiwolf

[Sep 06, 2008]
Too Rass Goat

OVERALL
Strength:

Outstanding grip in wet conditions. Excellent in mud, off camber rocks, roots, moss and everything else we encounter in Western PA. Best rear tire I've found to date even for dry, dusty conditions. Fast roller for a larger, heavily knobbed tire.

Sidewalls could be a bit stronger.

I love this tire for all around use. I finally ripped the side wall out DH'ing last weekend and had to replace the tire at the resort with a Michelin as it's all that was available. I rode XC today and couldn't stand the slipping & poor performance on every off camber situation and the slow rolling. I came home and ordered another Cinder 2.25 for the rear. Best rear tire I've found for my style and Western PA conditions. The price is also very good at $30.

Various WTB's, Kendas, Michelin and Nokians.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.