Panaracer 1.8 Fire XC Pro Tire

Panaracer 1.8 Fire XC Pro

[Oct 29, 2008]
Carl Brell

OVERALL
Strength:

(I'm reviewing the 1.8" width with aramid bead.) Fast and corners well on slightly technical rolling terrain. Versatile enough to use on harder or easier terrain. Very light; great on hardpack climbs and fire roads.

A little fast-wearing, but less so than other, faster tires. Bounces on technical climbs and especially downhill, though it'll manage.

These tires excel at what they're designed for: slightly technical rolling terrain like fire roads. Less grip and "bouncier" than the Mythos 1.9 or Exiwolf 1.9, but definitely faster than either. Slower than the Mosquito and Twister Pro, but more grip and definitely longer wearing. I'm 140 lbs and a good technical rider but not so strong. This tire enables me to keep up with stronger riders but still outperform them on technical stuff. I use a second set of wheels for sand, mud, rocks, etc.

IRC Mythos 1.9, WTB Exiwolf 1.95, Hutchinson Mosquito, Continental Twister Pro. This tire is right in the middle.

[Aug 15, 2008]
David Baltazar

OVERALL
Strength:

LIGHTWEIGHT, GOOD TRACTION

HARD TO FIND. NOT READILY AVAILABLE.

I personally like the Panaracer Fire XC Pro 1.8 tire because of the light weight and good traction. The 1.8's are nearly 100 grams lighter than the 2.1's. I ride mostly dry, single tracks & fire-roads with moderate, technichal trails. My bike is set up with the Panacer Fire XC Pro 1.8's on the back (for lower rolling resistance) and Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1's on the front (for better traction on the steep decents).

RICHTEY WCS

[Jun 21, 2003]
Adam B

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight, low rolling resistance, traction.

none that I can tell so far...

This tire is a really good back tire, it can be considered as a really agressive semi slick. It's centre knobs are big enough to give you climbing and braking traction but they are not so big that they slow you down too much. The huge side knobs definitely give you a lot of confidence when you're going through corners. This is a good front tire but I personally prefer a bigger more extreme tire on the front.
I find that mud isn't a problem with this tire, and I think that's mainly due to how widely spaced the knobs are. These tires a little expensive here in Canada at $40 dollars but I haven't had any problems yet with it so I give it 5 flaming trail rodents.

IRC Mythos (crap), Conti Explorer (really good), Panaracer TrailBlaster (crap)

[Aug 26, 2003]
spike

OVERALL
Strength:

weight,traction

Knobbies tore off

Dont buy this tire, Knobbies tore off , 3 knobbies tore off,after second trail 4 5 knobbies tore off.

irc, ritchey

[Jun 09, 2003]
bird

OVERALL
Strength:

light and fast,hooks up in mud surprisingly well,handles wet roots better than anything ive tried.

none found so far.

great tire,and its cheap,raced it this weekend in the monsoon sh!tfest this state has become.rocked.nothing should have worked in this kind of slop but this tire did the job well.not showing any signs of wear as yet.

[Jun 09, 2003]
buck rogers

OVERALL
Strength:

Decent cornering. Ok mud clearing.

Terrible rear traction on muddy uphill.

I was looking to replace my Bonty Revolts with something that would clear mud better. My Bonty's seemed to really hold on to the mud; therefore rotating weight increased tremendously. I got a pair of the XC Pro 1.8's in hopes of better mudding. I did a WORS race (Devil's Head) where the mud was terrible; thick goopy mud all through the course. These tires seemed to clear mud alright, but on even slight climbs in the mud I was loosing traction, and when it got steeper I had to dismount. And on these steeper climbs other people were riding. I know it's not my abilities, because in other races with similiar conditions using the Bonty's I was able to climb things others were not able to (I just had 6 pounds of mud attached to each tire!). They seemed to corner well and did ok on wet rocks & roots. I may keep the front tire on, but will have to try something different in the back for traction on muddy climbs...any suggestions?

Bonty Revolt's

[Sep 26, 2006]
Bill Palermo

OVERALL
Strength:

Good fire road tire. Fast roller.

Deflects off of everything! Washes out on anything slightly loose.

Bought these tires for a 40 mile xc race. Some grass, mostly fire roads and snowmobile trails and a little sand. Tire was fast and handled all but the sand pretty well. Got home and rode them on local trails and they flip me off the bike regularly by deflecting off rocks, roots and anything else on the trail. If you dont square up to roots the back wheel will slip out and take you down. Caught a tiny little rut maybe 2 inches deep in a turn and the back tire just would not climb out and again I was down. Washes out easily in sand or loose gravel. These are real confidence killers. I'm taking them off immediately. I will save them for the right kind of conditions. I accidentally posted this review on the 2.1 board so you can ignore that one.

Bontragers, Kendas, etc.

[Sep 24, 2001]
Nick Schuyler

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, low rolling resistance, good knob.

Can't always handle gravel on hardpack. The rubber isnt soft enough, but it wears well, so it's the usual trade-off.

FIRE TRAIL/SINGLE TRACK, 4.5 STARS: Great all around tire. I prefer the 1.8 due to gram counting. I bike more on city roads or open trails than hard backwoods. I also think the 2.1 is overkill, but I also think 80 mm is overkill for fr shocks.

LOOSE GRAVEL, 2.5 STARS: These tires have lost their grip more than once when hitting loose gravel. They don't inspire confidence on city streets at all times, but they roll well on trails and when I do take them over tree roots, they sit comfortably and don't roll over the roots, even when wet.

MUD OR RAIN, 4.5 STARS: I took them mudding once at Alum Creek (basic forest trails) and they were great at shedding mud and rolling through.

I only had to take a finger to them once on a three hour trek with LOTS of mud. I ended up doiong more damage to everything else due to obscene amounts of mud. More than I'd want to put my bike through again.

Geax, Hutchinson Mosquito, Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1

[Apr 13, 2003]
Zuke

OVERALL
Strength:

Very fast, very light rollers. The red sidewalls look great.

Narrow width is disconcerting to look at and tends to wash out in thicker gravel or sand. Not as much bite going uphill. Rim pinches!

I was really hoping this tire would work out for me, as I've heard great reviews about the FireXC Pros and it's a great looking tire on my blue/red Jamis to boot. Unfortunately, I think the lower traction is unavoidable given the tire's narrow width. I also suffered quite a few more pinch flats when slamming over rocky shale sections, etc, even though Panaracer makes a big deal over their Anti-Snake Bite (ASB) feature. A positive word though, is that they were noticeably faster rollers compared to my Hutchinsons. Better suited to road riding or less technical trail riding.

Hutchinson Alligators, WTB Velociraptors. (hmm, I just noticed the animal name theme...)

[Aug 07, 2002]
Joe

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, low rolling resistance, great traction.

Great set of tires! Excellent off-camber grip. Very good climb performance. Acceptable deep sand performance. Considering the very light weight and low rolling resistance, I doubt I'll ever go back to 2.1+ tires. An excellent all around performer. Highly recommended, although not the most cost effective tire out there.

Specialized ground control (you guys even remember these?), Bontrager Jones

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.