Nokian Hakkapeliitta Tire

The Nokian Hakkapelitta 700c x 37mm HybridTire features 106 steel studs for incredibleTraction on ice. 106 steel studs forTraction on ice Item Specifications Tire Bead Steel ISO Diameter 622 ISO Width 35 mm ColorTread/Side Black/Black TireType Clincher Tire Diameter 700c

[Dec 16, 2010]
emski

OVERALL
Strength:

Extra grip on packed snow and ice. First studded bike tires I've used after many winters on conventional tires. Why did I wait? I got the W106 x 35cc model for my 1.5 mile commute. They give a huge boost in confidence over knobby non-studded cyclocross tires. When you reach their limit, they don't snap out from under you. They slide controllably giving you time to recover. Rolling resistance is less than I expected for studded tires. The skinny profile and the large blocks and gaps in the treads cut through fresh snow and seem to grip well.

Price. But I understand that if I only use them for the winter months I should get many years of use out of them.

If your rides regularly take you over ice and snow and you want to go 70 percent as fast and as confidently as on dry conditions, buy these tires.

[Nov 29, 2010]
JudgeDredd76
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Great winter commuting tire. Works very well on paved and packed snow streets. Gives you extra confidence on icy roads.
Works well on snowy roads, if you are the first one out on the road. Wear very well!

Does not work well on ice rutted roads and on chopped up snowy roads. If you ride on side streets or on main streets before the plows get to them and after cars have driven on the roads, these tires can be a bit of an adventure. With all the studs down the center you will find these tires getting stuck in ice and snow ruts and not being able to get out of them. Be very cautious using these tires on side roads that get a lot of car traffic but do not see snow plows until well after the main streets are plowed!

I have used these tires for the last five winters and they have been great tires. There is just a handful of commutes a year that can be quite hectic and a little scary at times on these tires. When the roads are ideal for these tires they are great! Have not lost any studs and they have worn very well for five solid winters of commuting.

These were my first studded winter tires. Just ordered up a pair of Nokian Mount & Ground W160.

[Nov 24, 2010]
Nate Knutson

OVERALL
Strength:

I have a pair of the Hakka 700x40 W240, the version with tons and tons of studs.
They REALLY grip well on ice and in all the typical conditions one would encounter on an icy, snowy commute. I was prepared to have to take it pretty slow on slick, compressed road ice even with these, and you do have to to an extent, but to me it's actually kind of shockingly close to riding along on a normal road, albeit with a knobby, and I still wouldn't corner aggressively although the tires do continue to do their job in corners for me just fine.
Great for riding on harder off-road surfaces with mixed ice, snow, and patches of loose stuff underneath, such as my gravel driveway.
The studs have retained their bite very well, even riding them a fair amount on clean roads.
Very well built. Exactly the kind of construction you want for worst-case-scenario type riding.

As great as they are on serious ice, the 240s are very draggy and noisy on clean pavement. Ridable but pretty blah.
Icy ruts and dots of compressed ice will push these tires around and require steering corrections, such as on a bike trail with scattered tire and foot tracks, which form little clumps of ice you'll run into. So you have to ride cautiously on those kinds of surfaces. However, this is a problem you basically need a fatter, lower-pressure tire to solve, and doesn't really come into play on the road for me.
I question whether anything would really be lost or compromised by making them folding, and I'd certainly be willing to pay for it. Would be convenient for touring cyclists, and that's a group who is gonna tend to be looking at a tire like this. (You can tri-fold these like most wire tires to get them small without hurting them, but the problem is that it requires a little finesse to avoid accidentally kinking a bead, and folks don't always have finesse to spare in cold, demanding touring conditions).

I got the 240s thinking that as long as I was going to the expense and trouble of getting snow tires at all, and given that where I live we tend to get only a fairly small handful of days a year where they're needed, I might as well get the ones that are really great for the worst conditions but overkill the rest of the time. This strategy has had its ups and downs; I'm happy with the 240s but doing it again I would probably get the 106s. It's a pretty common situation during the snowy times that it's fairly clear on your way out, earlier in the day, but you want to plan for the roads getting icy at night for your ride home. Something less aggressively studded would probably have the edge overall on a day like that. But at the same time, you'll be giving up the super-confident ride that the 240s give when it's time to come home, or when you have to do a lot of riding on a day when everything is just ice. On a day like that, the 240 is perfect, and that's also the case often enough that I don't regret buying them by any means.

[Feb 10, 2010]
Cschiffer

OVERALL
Strength:

As others have said, these really work. Ice and smooth hard packed snow ride like asphalt. I am easily traveling up a couple of gears from non-studded tires, and feeling safer as I do it. I have the 106 stud 700 X 35c tires, and they are a great tire for commuting. I have them on my winter beater, and the rolling resistance is a bit more than the slightly wider (700C X 38) hybrid style tires that were on it. Now, don't expect them to grip on loose slippery snow, eliminate slipping on the sides of parallel ruts, or magically allow you to plow through a fresh unploughed 10" snowfall. Do expect them to bring you to a stop on the slick ice extending from that frozen up storm grate that the plow can't touch. This narrow size also has the advantage of slicing through piles of snow rather than bumping over them. The tread throws off the snow well and digs through plow slop at the intersections well.

Noticeably heavier than a street tire or even a comfort hybrid tire, and noticeable rolling resistance comparatively. I am working harder on good roads.

A great tire that is finally coming down in price. I give it a 4 overall just because I haven't compared it to other studded tires, and while I cant see any other tires in this category being substantially better, you never know.

None, first set of studs. These are reportedly the gold standard in winter commuter tire here in MN, but I can't personally comment.

[Feb 15, 2009]
George

OVERALL
Strength:

Rolling resistance good, great on flat ice and snow.

Work a little to well and you tend to push the tire to it's limit.

One heck of a tire it works very well in mixed conditions that include snow and ice. It does what it is meant to do with little problems, very good snow traction to about 2 inches and on glare ice it does a nice job. I have a lot of time on different studded tires as I travel almost exclusively by bike in what you would call a fairly bad environment. I come from the city of N.Y. but live in southern Vermont, very challenging conditions in winter. Normal commuting is usually not an issue as the performance is enhanced by the bike setup. The Bionx electric package adds weight to a very light frame and allows the tires to perform excellent, even on grades as steep as 12%. (With caution) Riding in urban conditions, less the hills they only get better. The studs being placed towards the center of the tire allows you to be less concerned about tire pressure compared to the Snow Stud. Ride smart and you will be very, very pleased.If you ask more than you should from these tires you will be very, very unhappy, like high speed turns in 5 inches of snow that covers a sheet of ice, while mixing with traffic. That requires a different tire and probably a really good insurance policy.. As with most products it cannot undo a bad idea.

Winter Snow Stud

[Jan 29, 2009]
rohara

OVERALL
Strength:

THEY WORK!!!!!!!

Like all studded tires they to have traction problems on dry non iced pavement but it is just barely more then negligable. Just not a problem realy but something to keep in mind when riding.

These are the best money I have spent on any biking accesory! They do exacly as the advertize and can make a hellish commute on sheets of ice a doable and plesant experience. Of corse you have to be carefull and watch out for ruts; for those you need to look at the other Nokian tires that are either thicker or have studs reaching toward the sides of the tires. For someone that commutes on thier bike every day and wants something for realy bad weather but also tollerable for good weather these are it! Sereously, anybody who does not give these things a great rating is either lying or just doesn't know what they are talking about.

[Jan 10, 2007]
Sean

OVERALL
Strength:

Tough, narrow, smooth, grip

This review is for the 700c 106 stud-count Hakka. I mounted it on my X bike. I've been riding winters with slicks or old Specialized TriX. An amazing difference. These roll smooth and fast (relatively speaking). Glare ice is no problem…of course I'm used to slicks. But well worth the big bucks for the safety they afford. I could ride black ice on asphalt with them and no scares. Also good feel in ruts.

[Feb 04, 2002]
No Spam

OVERALL
Strength:

Great for winter commuting

Some drag, as you'd expect.

Buy 'em, bike all winter.

[Jan 10, 2002]
Alexi Zawadzki

OVERALL
Strength:

Great on ice and hardpack. Relatively fast. Well made.

Performs very poorly in snow, deep slush and on the rough - you get beaten up when fighting slush, snow and general road crud. Basically, this product only performs well on ice or compacted snow. I would rate it as very poor (bordering on dangerous) in deep snow - the tire is too narrow for that purpose.

Great tire if you intend on riding on an ice rink or equivalent. Effectively useless in deep snow and slush. I have crashed because of this tire in deep snow.

[Mar 17, 2001]
Brian

OVERALL
Strength:

you dont fall

i ride 50+ miles a week in MINNESOTA. after falling
on black ice at 13mph i bought and put this on the
front wheel. now i can ride on a ice skating rink!

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.