Michelin XL Tire

More affordable, but just as agressive cross-country tire

• All new tread design to maximize grip and efficiency.
  • All position design - works well for front or rear.
  • Durable 33 tpi casing with rigid bead.

• USER REVIEWS

[Aug 19, 2003]
    Jim

OVERALL
    Strength:

Excellent traction! Outstanding grip! Improved my climbing in technical sections 50%!

None, really

This is the best tire I've ever used. I like to climb and I ride trails that are technical. Rocks, roots, switchbacks, water bars. The XL is amazing! My previous favorite was the Panaracer Smoke. But the Michelin XL is significantly better. It grips in all situations for me. Even granite rocks (rather slick to begin with) covered with silt. Grips water bars reasonably well whereas other tires did not grip them at all. I now climb stuff that I previously thought was impossible due to steepness and lack of traction. With the Michelin XL, every pedal stroke results in forward motion. I've had some trouble with unintentional wheelies when I expected slippage and the tire gripped.

Have not had any trouble with the sidewalls. I shredded the sidewalls of some other tires, particularly the Specialized. The rocks on my favorite trails are not forgiving. The Michelin has held up GREAT! I'm thinking about ordering a hundred or so just in case they are ever discontinued.

That one guy with the negative review above must have gotten a lemon. Though I believe his review said he only demo'ed them.

I don't ride much street, I don't bomb the downhills, and I don't ride gently rolling hills and meadows. I ride aggressive, nasty, dare-you-to-try-this trails. And the Michelin XL is far and away the best tire I've ever ridden!

Wish I could give this tire 6 chilis!

IRC Mythos, Velociraptor, Venderstein, Panaracer Smoke, Specialized, Geax, others

[Mar 15, 2006]
    pete

OVERALL
    Strength:

fast tire, corners well, handles well in mud, does well in loose dirt over rocks and in the rain.

knobbs break off quickly, casing is weak, very little protection from thorns.

good all around epic tires with good performance but not outstanding.

kenda kinetics, maxxis high roller, michelin hot s

[Sep 16, 2003]
    Dave

OVERALL
    Strength:

Grip, high puncture protection, great wear rate

These tyres are great they wear very well, climb anything my feeble legs and lungs can and hook up well on most trails. I find that they break away evenly, two wheel slides rather than front first. I have used them on sand ok, hard pack good, mud slippy but not too bad, rocks great. Overall they work well and dont cost that much.

Trail blasters, smoke/dart, old maxis and kenda before they were cool.

[Nov 18, 2001]
    Thomas

OVERALL
    Strength:

perfect flange, perfect safety feeling in wet, low rotating resistance

pretty heavy...

Excactly the same as the michelin xl s, BUT without kevlar. Its only disadvantage is that, thing which makes them pretty heavy. By far more stable on every ground, even on wet! Perfect for those who seek for a very good all round tyre, do not dare for weight and do not want to give much money just for a pair of tyres. I'm sure my next tires are going to be the same with kevlar(xls).

kenda, michelin lite s, mythos irc.

[Feb 13, 2004]
    marc

OVERALL
    Strength:

Quite light, very good grip, good puncture resistance, low rolling resistance. Breaks very well, climbs very well, feels very secure under all conditions on down hills, even when its wet. Sheds mud also quite well.

None so far. Doesn't show any wear, no side wall problems.

You need one tire that can do it all? Buy this one. Great all rounder.

Continental Escape, not punture proof at all, but otherwise also a good all rounder, lighter, more agile.

[Apr 02, 2003]
    Aubrey

OVERALL
    Strength:

Excellent in corners
    Very durable
    Extremely aggressive

Lots of rolling resistence
    Not good on wet pavement
    Not sticky at all

This is an excellent training tire. I've got a few hundred trail miles on and about a hundred road miles on these, and they look like their still a week old. They have a fair amount of rolling resistence on hard-pack, they eat up corners on trails (not on roads), especially loose corners, and they give you plenty of braking power. These are cheap tires; dont' expect too much from them. But any skills you need to practice in training (except large, wet rocks or wet pavement) you can do, just at the cost of going a little slower with some added weight. Good all-rounders with exellent durability: that's all you need in a training tire. I'd give up some durability for some extra sticky, but besides that, they're about perfect.
    Oh yea, even with a bunch of recent encounters with thorn patches, I've still never gotten a flat with them.

[Oct 20, 2002]
    LunchBox
    Downhiller

OVERALL
    Strength:

It looked cool for a few minutes...

I had this tire for about 30 minutes...that's how long it took for me to COMPLETELY destroy it. Tore the sidewalls SOOO bad, I actually separated the bead from the rest of it, in a good 3" strip. What a JOKE of a tire.

Don't ever buy this tire...unless your'e a democrat.

similar meaning this sh!tty???...well, none then.

[Nov 13, 2004]
    sctrix

OVERALL
    Strength:

This tire can handle Upstate New York conditions better then the Hutchinson Scorpions that came with my bike. Great for mud, rocks, and sand.

In terms of value and performance it is hard to beat this tire. Get some you will not be dissapointed!!

[May 04, 2002]
    John Fornasier

OVERALL
    Strength:

Excellent grip in turns due to aggressive side knobs make them excellent in loose conditions.
    They also work very well over rocks and hard pack.
    Tread pattern across the center of the tire is not as aggresive, making them very fast on straights.
    Because the lugs are well spaced across the top of the tire, they shed mud fairly well,

Side walls seem a bit thin. They look like they will not last the whole season due to this fact.

They have a more aggressive lug pattern than the Hutchinson UST tire making them better in overall conditions.
    Excellent all-conditions tire.

Bontrager Jones

[Oct 08, 2004]
    LARBIKE

OVERALL
    Strength:

This tire rolls very well. Good overall traction for a variety of XC riding. The front version of this tires steers well and feels surprisingly precise. Predictable handling inspires confidence. Excellent performance for the price. I hope Michelin continues to produce these tires.

A little heavy(700 grams in the steel bead version)
    Not great in heavy mud or on slick limestone(but what is?)

This has become my preferred XC tire. It's hard to beat for value and overall performance.

WTB Velociraptors
    Continental Traction Pro
    Specialized Enduro sport

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.