Michelin Wildgripper Front S Tire

Michelin Wildgripper Front S 26x2.10 Black Tire. High density nylon casing. Control-specific tread design for steering precision and grip. State-of-the-art Silicium? tread compound sheds mud, grips well, rolls fast.

[Jul 07, 2008]
mmm3m

OVERALL
Strength:

Love these tires! They offer great traction and control, and I dig the green rubber. Living in Miami, I ride a lot of technical, rooty terrain and these guys grip in places where I used to slide. Since the tread is not very deep, they're not so good in deep mud, but they do quite well even on loose sand.

Sidewalls are not very strong, so they gave way before the rest of the tires (still, I got a year's worth of hard weekend riding, so I got my money's worth). New specs claim sidewalls have been reinforced, so problem may be fixed.

Love these tires! I bought them once and I will buy them again. In fact, I have resisted buying other tires until I could find another set of these babies. While I was lucky enough to find them on a bargain bin, they're well worth full price.

[May 26, 2003]
WY

OVERALL
Strength:

Strangely for such aggressive Knobblies, the rolling resistance is rather light. It worked well on hard pack and fire trails. Good on technical climbs. Works better then the COMP S.

none so far, but a little tentative on hard cornering

This tire is actually better then the Lite S which I was previously using. Above ave all round

COMP S, LITE S

[Apr 20, 2003]
mtn.russ

OVERALL
Strength:

o.k. tire, worked well in mt. hood conditions

two back tires failed on me, blown side wall and streched bead

because of two failed back tires I will never use agian

[Nov 07, 2001]
Daniel

OVERALL
Strength:

rolling resistance, lightweight, good grip, good allround tire

cornering on loose gravel and rocks, self-clearing ability (sporadically mud keeps sticking to the tire) and don't mess with the air pressure...meaning don't overdo it (or=flat)!

Its overall performance makes it a reliable companion on practically every surface. If you're going for a light-weight tire with minimum rolling resistance, than this is your choice.

Ritchey Z-Max, Specialized Dirt Master,

[Oct 30, 2003]
Brian Elmer

OVERALL
Strength:

This is a great tire in the handling department. It's SO much better than the Ground Control I had, and allows me to go much faster into the corners. It has good feedback, and lets you know nicely when it's losing traction...instead of laying you down immediately. It's also pretty light, and the Kevlar bead makes it easier to put on my Rhyno Lite rims.

I'm using this tire with an XL S in the back, and it's a great all around combo.

The tires are fragile! I was doing some riding around campus one day, and looked down to see the tube poking out a 1/2" long tear in the sidewall. Took it home, stitched it with some dental floss, put a 3"x1.5" piece of milk jug behind it, and it's good to go!

As I said, the tire's a great handler. It's much nicer not having to worry about falling down as much in a corner - the tire is slow to wash out, and you should have plenty of time to slow down or correct your angle. It grips great.

Then there's the durability factor. It's pretty sad how easily it tore. I read the reviews and figured it wouldn't happen to me, but it sure did. Just keep the dental floss and milk jug plastic handy, though, and you should be good to go.

Specialized Ground Control

[Jun 28, 2001]
MJ

OVERALL
Strength:

2.1 inch black non-kevlar version, good in mostly all conditions, very good steering, no snake-bite yet

probably nuffin, sometimes dense mud remains there bit longer, but it doesn't deteriorate the function

it's little bit taller than other tires and must be well pressured, but done so serves very well

practically not worn after 2500 km

for that price is a real must-have

irc mythos, some wtb

[Jul 21, 2001]
Bob

OVERALL
Strength:

Big lugs, good sidewalls, carves well in most conditions, easily predictable in tight places

none so far

This is a great tire, works well in hardpack and mud, I did'nt find difficulty in running it at different pressures. My setup is in black, I dont know how the greenie works.

you name em'

[Apr 25, 2003]
Neo

OVERALL
Strength:

Rolls nice
Decent braking

poor cornering traction

I have tired heaps of tires before and have not had 2 many tyres that i have hated, but unfortunately I hate this one. This tire is bad on hard surfaces, worse in sand and mud absolutley shocking when its rocky. However they are good in soft soil and slightly muddy conditions, but not good enough to make up for its bad qualities. On top of this, they lose traction without any warning giving me no confidence in them. You may think I am being unfair seeing this is a tire for soft - med conditions, but I have had plenty of tires that have preformed better all round over this 1.

Dont waste our money on these. Get Tioga's or WTB's as every tire i have bought of theirs has worked a treat.

WTB motoraptor, Tioga

[May 15, 2003]
Petrovich

OVERALL
Strength:

Good rolling

Got torn in five places on the sidewall after 600 km of hikes

Never, ever I will even take a look at Michelin tires any more. Though I must say WildGripper FrontS is 5.28 times better than WildGripper XL that got torn in 22 places after 500km.

[Jul 28, 2003]
Christian

OVERALL
Strength:

price

green
pinch flats

weak casing -- many pinch flats. so-so traction. good price

irc claw comp lite (excellent). hutchinson python gold (sucks)

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.