Michelin Wild Grip’R Reinforced Folding Tire

The Michelin Wild Grip’R Reinforced Folding Tire is reinforced sidewalls for greater pinch flat resistance for its large volume. Designed to adapt to varied terrain. Optimized arrangement of knobs across the width of the tread allows for both rolling efficiency and progressive cornering. The reinforced sidewalls for greater pinch flat resistance for its large volume features uniquely shaped shoulder knobs that help you lean the bike over with confidence, while square center knobs are positioned close enough together to roll quickly yet spaced wide enough to promote mud shedding.

[Apr 10, 2013]
Cyclemax

OVERALL
Strength:

Construction Quality, True to Size, Rolling Resistance

Grip on roots and rocks compared to other tires.

My bike is a 2008 Santa Cruz Bullit. It's my only mtb, so it's built up pretty light (for a Bullit) at 35#, since I use it for xc, trail, freeride, and the occasional downhill. I like a fat tire so I normally run Kenda Nevegal 26x2.5 folding bead, which work very well here in New England with wet, sometimes loamy conditions, roots, and rocks.

I'm headed to SoCal this month for 2 weeks of riding which will include a 40+ mile day. Given the Nevegal's relatively high rolling resistance, I wanted large tire that rolls better, even if it would be a compromise in grip. That's exactly what I got with the Michelin Wild Grip'r.

I immediately noticed the bike rolled faster. At my usual ride spot, pedaling was easier and the bike rolled quicker down hills. Unfortunately, there wasn't as much grip on the roots and rocks as provided by the Nevegals, and I found my tires slipping off things much more than usual. Not terrible, but much more than with the Kendas. I suspect this won't be much an issue in SoCal, however, and even still, a worthwhile tradeoff for the speed.

I chose 26x2.4 folding bead. Think they weighed in at just under 800g and measured exactly 2.4" with a caliper. They are noticeably taller looking too, almost as much as my Nevegal 2.5.

I only have 1 ride on the tires at the time I write this. As of right now, I'll probably end up going back to the Kendas when I get back home to New England, but I'm optimistic the Michelins are the right choice for dry, packed dirt.

[Feb 18, 2013]
julitohu

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, traction, fast rolling

None so far

I put this tires about 60 miles now and they are great, 2 weeks ago our trail were very sandy and dry. The traction was great and the rolling better that espected. This weekend it rains and now the trails are firm. The rolling was fast and smooth... Very happy so far. I'm using size 29 - 2.0

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.