Michelin Hot S Tire

The Michelin HotTires feature Michelins XTreamTread pattern makingThem ideal for anyone who likes high volume All Mountain, Downhill, and FreerideTires. XTremTread pattern makes an all-purposeTire for Mountain Cross, DH and Freeride 33TPI casing for durability Tire Bead: Steel ISO Diameter: 559 ISO Width: 64 mm TireType: Clincher Tire Diameter: 26" Published Weight: 975 g PSI: 29-58 PSI

[Oct 01, 2011]
Old Geezer

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight (for my use), Corners well. Outside the sidewall issue mentined below I loved this tire.

Side wall! Just too thin.

I loved the tire for it's usage in Tennessee/North Carolina region. A lot of small gravel, leaves, pine needles and some good tight corners. Once the trails get wet the clay is almost greasy. For these conditions I loved the tread pattern. It hooked nicely and I never noticed any weight or rolling resistance issues. What has me crying is the sidewall. One sharp stick or thorn and I'm pushing my bike back to the trailhead. Even with a patch on the tire itself I can see a bulge at the hole site that makes me cringe. Note this is a puncture hole not a large tear or cut I'm working on. This is the second sidewall issue I have come across with Michelin tires. Bottom line, I was really excited about this tire. It out performed my Nevegal in every way. As it is I would have a real hard time recomending any Michelin tire just on sidewall issues alone. As value goes I got a good price out of ebay as an over all tire I would knock it down again on sidewall being too thin.

Panaracer and Kendas

[Oct 04, 2010]
Cainam

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks, the 2.5" size is a VERY good tire for soft dirt, and works well on hard pack, roots, grass/underbrush, anything realy.

The 2.2" tire is almost dangerous on hard pack or street.

These were made in 2 different widths - 2.2" and 2.5", and the difference is huge. I've run the 2.5" tires for years, with no problems. They run realy well on the soft, moist dirt in the northwest. I've taken my bike to California, and run in the harder, dry hard pack, and they did fairly well there, too. No longer made in red, unfortunately.

The difference between the 2.2" and the 2.5 is the outside row of knobs. On the 2.5, the outside row and the next row in are staggered, which doesn't allow that much flex when leaning over in a turn. The 2.2" tire has the outside row of knobs in a straight line, and if you try to turn hard on hard pack or street, the thing squirms all over the place. Not good. In soft dirt, the tire digs a row like a plough. They work OK in medium dirt, but not even that well.

Rating below is for the 2.5" tire. Stay away from the 2.2" size.

Maxxis, Kenda, anything that holds air for 5 minutes. . .

[May 06, 2010]
MrDuck
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Sticks to just about anything, never got a snake bite even at very low pressure hitting the edges of jumps nor on rocky downhills, only once punctired by a hard pike

Overall it just holds me where i want, no matter what conditions

Weight, since it's my first 2,5" tire with a wire bead, it's over 1000g

Seems a little unsure on a very dry dirt, still sticks enough to not let me down however

Once i wear them, I'm pretty sure I'll buy another pair, I don't have too much comparisons with other heavy duty tires, but this 2,5" wide HOT S just works great on our local freeride trails. I've basically never had a flat (only once found the tire a bit mild after a day, found out there was some pretty nasty wooden pike stuck in), yet i can run it at very low pressure, still had no snake bites even though i felt i was hitting the rim on some landings. It sticks great in all conditions, though it seems wet suits it better than completely dried hard dirt.

Only XC tires (Schwalbe Smart Sam, Kenda Karma)

[May 17, 2009]
StarskyDawg

OVERALL
Strength:

Brilliant climber, hooks up well on tight berms and is stable at both low & high speed. A good UK trailcentre tyre.

THE DAMN SIDEWALLS... 3 months or so normal riding, no stacks, minimal rock rubbing and HEY PRESTO - the sidewall starts to wear out. Why has this never really happened on any other tyres of mine! Then funnily enough, a slight contact with a rock and BANG, the sidewall splits and ends my ride... a long way from home. Oh and the tread wears out fairly quickly too.

If Michelin sorted out the weakest sidewall in history, then I would consider forking out for another set of these tyres, as they roll well, corner well and climb well. They should be the perfect UK trailcentre tyre as they handle dolomite, sand, hardpack, fireroad stone and wet clag well.
But the longevity issues cripple their rating. Buy IF you don't have cash issues, DONT buy if you like a tyre to last a whole season... RIDE IT, LOVE IT, LIVE IT....

Kenda Nevegal 2.35 Sticke-e, Conti Slash 2.3, Panaracer Fire XCPRO's, Tioga Factory 2.2 DH's, etc etc etc etc

[Oct 02, 2005]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Awesome mud shedding abilities, great cornering, wide for more traction, good shock absorbtion, and pretty light weight

red compound is not at all good for road use, and will wear down quickly if used for that

I was caught in a surprise rain storm on the trail and these tires held up so well. I was far out, and the only way back was on the trail. In a matter of minutes the trail was flooded and my tires were about an inch in mud. These tires had such good grip it was amazing. The mud came off of them so easily. You could barley even see for all the rain, but my bike felt sold beneath me. People joke about the goofy red color, but it is funny to see them trying to pedal when their tires are caked in mud. I dont think you could buy a tire better than this if you looked.

Specialized tires, and panaracer (which is great also)

[Jul 02, 2003]
Jack

OVERALL
Strength:

grip, puncture resistance

pinch punctures

This is my tyre of choice for any task. They are some of the cheapest tyres around in the UK and in terms of grip they outclass my Nokian Gazzalodi Duals which I payed over $100 for the set. I noticed it staight away on a really quick corner that flys over a sudden dip, getting the bike unweighted. the Nokians would drift out on the dusty surface which was kinda fun but scary, these just bite.

I dont put in alot of miles so I've had the same set on for well over a year but I can only remember one puncture that wasn't my own fault for flying into sharp rocks with low pressure in the rear tyre.

With the right pressure they stood up well to my trip to the world cup DH track up in Fort William. I even put in a time, on my hardtail, with which I wouldn't actualy have come last in the Mens Pro Elites, like 79th out of 80 or somthing, i was well proud!

Continental Vertical Pro, Nokian Gazzalodi Dual

[Jun 22, 2003]
Andrew

OVERALL
Strength:

Very good climbing ability and braking control. Allows a fair bit of forgiveness at high speeds. Raced on many surfaces and they pick up well in most conditions.

Corner speed can wash away on different surfaces. Not may weekness I have found. They feel heavy at times but timing over laps and courses would not back this up. If the rider has little experence with tyre pressure, the max performance wont be felt. I found like with other tyres there is prob. about 2-3 psi range of ideal setup pressure.

I think this product is for the rider who wants a tyre to be very suited to changing conditions. People who are finding tyre damage possibly are riding with little control or poor riding style (when damage occurs) but ya can't blame the tyre, expecing alot out of a light weight tyre is hard. Good value if you generally like the feel of wider tyres

Hutch / Gold
Mich / Gripper comps

[Jul 06, 2007]
Ryan

OVERALL
Strength:

Awesome colour, great traction in wet and muddy conditions.

Love these tires. Awesome for climbing dirt and rock and wicked for going back down, awesome traction. I dunno whats wrong with people, the sidewalls havn't failed me.

Kenda Kinetics

[Sep 24, 2005]
Everyday Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Tire bites nicely until the side blows out.

Sidewall blew out after 6 to 8 weeks of riding. Tire showed very little sign of wear otherwise.

I ignored all the reviews that mentioned the weak sidewalls on these tires. I thought, 'Who in the heck blows out sidewalls?' Silly me. I have never had a sidewall issue with a tire in over a decade of riding. Until now. My Michelin Hot S blew out while I was riding alone at dusk several miles into my favorite single track, leaving me barely able to limp home in the dark. Use this tire only if you carry a spare when you ride.

Trek Control Track, Continental Cross Country, WTB Weirwolf, Panaracer Fire XC.

[Mar 15, 2002]
Tino

OVERALL
Strength:

ITS RED!!, awesome traction in all conditions, sheds mud better than any tire i've ridden, looks great on any bike, hooks up to anything thanks to huge knobs on the outer part of the tread.

only offered in 2.1 inch width (i'd love to see 2.35 or 2.5 inch offered), sidewalls are way too thin for really hard riding, this results in torn sidewalls and flats, kinda pricey.

I had this tire on a couple of bikes and I loved the way it performs, but the sidewalls are just to thin if you plan on riding very hard. I've put quite a few tears in the sidewalls of the tire and you can only repair it so many times. If only Michelin would make a DH version of this tire with tougher sidewalls I could die a happy man.

michelin wildgripper lite, maxxis mofo dh, maxxis mobster, irc kujo dh, hutchinson mosquito

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.