Maxxis Worm Drive Tire

* FOR RACE USE ONLY !

At 430 grams, the WormDrive 430 is the lightest 26 x 1.90 semi-slick tire available for high-performance mountain bike racing on hard pack terrain. The WormDrive 430 is an example of Maxxis' commitment to constantly develop our tire and tube products. The popular WormDrive tread pattern has been enhanced by Maxxis' low-density compound* which provides superior traction and low weight. Kevlar bead only.

*Please note that WormDrive 430's are engineered for racing only. The low-density, high traction compound used in 430's wears & rides faster than traditional tires. For training & recreational riding, we recommend the original hard compound (70a) WormDrive kevlar bead tires

[Aug 23, 2003]
Josh

OVERALL
Strength:

These tires are great for the right conditions. Hardpack, smooth trails, etc. Need more traction, buy other Maxxis tires.

Can't think of any

I have used these tires (2) sets for well over 2 years and at $17 direct from Maxxis.com on closeout are one heack og a buy. I asked Maxxis why they were scraping the design and they said tires come and go and the Wormdrive, although it has its strong supporters, just is not selling as good as it used to. If your looking for a great semi-slick check out the maxxis.com website and buy a couple of sets.

Ritchey Speedmax

[Jun 04, 2003]
Dan

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast and good traction

Excellent. I have rear specific tire and it does great. Huge diffence in rolling resistance from previous full knobby tire. Excellent traction in corners. Only says this tire is 1.9 but looks and rides like a 2.0 or bigger. I haven't noticed any sacrifice in traction. Riding with a flyweight 490 on the front and that hooks up great. I couldn't be happier with this setup. Ridden in sandy areas and works out as good or better than other tires used. I would definitely buy this tire again especially at the cost of only $17.

Many other

[May 26, 2003]
Francis Fowler

OVERALL
Strength:

Low rolling resistance, I imagine they would be light but I haven't weighed them.

I just don't understand these tyres, dangerous off road, OK on road but prone to flats.

I just don't understand these tyres, everyone seems to think they grip well but my ones are near useless offroad especially in loose rocky sections. I don't think mine are the race version as they haven't worn that quick and don't have the kevlar bead but they are a semi slick design and they say "Maxxis Worm Drive" so I suppose that's what they are. They are OK on the road but are prone to flats. From my experience I wouldn't recommend these tyres as they have next to no grip off road. Keep in mind though that my worm drive tyres seem to be different to everyone else's on this site. Once I changed to knobblies I don't know why I put up with these tyres for so long. 1 chilli (why does everyone call them turds?)

Tioga Factory XC, Specialized Team Control/Team Master

[Oct 19, 2005]
Rikki Griffin

OVERALL
Strength:

really light and fast, grippy on dry or moist hard pack

gravel, no teeth to bite into the firm stuff underneath - but no getting 'round that with a semi!

I won this tire in a race and chucked it on the front of my bike for my next training ride. I rode 80Km mixed ground including road, gravel, dry grass, wet clay, rubble. I have also now ridden it on dry hardpack single track. I'm really impressed with it. Definately faster than the old tioga terra firma (duh!). It even held on wet clay better than the terra firmer I still had on the back. I'm running it at just over 40 psi which feels right for most conditions. I've just put a Ranchero on the back wheel to complete the 'dry day'package. People who are racing on hard stuff without wet roots and rocks and without technical gravel should put one or two of these worm-drives on to boost their av speed.

This is my first semi-slick (except for old, worn-out tires!)

[May 05, 2007]
Owen Wall

OVERALL
Strength:

Impressed with climbing ability, very fast rolling, good cornering.

lateral play climbing with front wheel, Lateral play comming down hill quickly.

Comming from an all mountain arena, then an slightly more aggressive XC tire I am really impressed with these semi slicks. I tackled everything from loose gravel on steep grades to BFRs and roots on steep grades, to rough narrow downhills and did so with minimal slippage of my rear wheel. My complaint would be that while climbing I really felt like my front tire was all over the place. I felt like I had to focus a lot on my front tires movement. Also when cruising fast down hill I got a lot of lateral play with my tires sliding off side to side. look at the tread and its easy to see why. Overall I like these tires, they roll fast and I feel pretty comfortable riding these 1.9ers pretty hard.

Velocipators, IRC marathon, Maxxis Minnion, various specialized.

[Feb 07, 2002]
Gerard

OVERALL
Strength:

Really low rolling resistance with suprisingly good grip off road, increased my on road avg speed by about 6 kmh. Wear seems pretty good to date.

Didnt fill me with confidence on road when wet, not to bad though.

These tires are fantastic for anyone who rides 50% on road and 50% off road, particularly where the off road component is hard packed trails. I have used them once in wet conditions they showed a little slippage during on road cornering, however they where still very good in off road wet conditions which included a reasonably steep uphill climb. Overall these tires are great and i havent seen any quick wearing characteristics yet and thats after about 150km use.

Various

[Aug 22, 2006]
jay bulanadi

OVERALL
Strength:

fast really fast. i topped at 59km/hr on pavement and 45km/hr on dirt roads with these

as with all semi slicks, grip is comprimised for speed. so it slips on gravel or any thing really loose

note that these tires are FOR RACE ONLY. perfect for intended use!

ritchey speed max

[Sep 20, 2001]
cal

OVERALL
Strength:

low rolling resistance - when tire pressure is high, great "hook-up"- when tire pressure is low, very tuff for a lightweight tire. Rides with reduced tire pressure - no pinch flats etc. Front tire can be used for rear also.

I love these tires. For optimal performance I use as follows: pavment or fire rd. 60psi front 50psi back, as the trail become more technical, I reduce tire pressure, on the way down I'am running 30psi or lower. (Tire pressure is the only front suspension I have on 2 of my bikes), wormdrive soaks it up. These are very good tires for XC riding.

continental twister, variety of specialized tires

[Oct 04, 2005]
Umar

OVERALL
Strength:

Very fast on hard trail and tarmac.

Definetely not for soft trail. Wear quickly especially rear tyre.

I'll use it again only if I'm very sure that the trail is hard with no drizzle, and I want to go fast. Put 50psi and I'm flying.

Kenda Kozmik, Kenda Short Tracker, Panaracer Mach SK, Continental Competition Pro

[Jun 24, 2001]
Fred

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, low rolling resistance, large contact area.

Not much grip on smooth edges (rocks, logs, etc)

I loved these tires-- they seemed to glide right over patches of sand, and cornered quite well. Grip was great on non-technical terrain, and because they are light, the bike felt very agile on uphills. "Training" rides were a pleasure. However, when the tires are only touching a small surface area, they cannot grip like knobbies can. On technical uphills, this can be hard to cope with. My riding buddies finally convinced me to go back to knobbies.
Overall, however, great for what they're designed for.

Specialized Mt. Baldy... numerous other [more-tready] sneaks

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.