Maxxis WetScream Tire

Sizes: 26x2.20, wire bead with Dual-ply DH casing with butyl sidewall inserts. Front or rear.
Designed exclusively for the muddiest, sloppiest of all race courses. Not for your local trail, the Wet Scream is intended for competition use only on professionally maintained courses.

[Apr 07, 2020]
jbozo89

OVERALL
Strength:

Rolling resistance (but we don't care when riding in mud) Grip on hard-wet surfaces

Purchased:
Used
[Sep 19, 2013]
scott williams

OVERALL
Strength:

these are the tires to have!!!! if you ride either loam or mud then they are a valid purchase. these tires will litterally grip to anything due to them massive spikes.
these tires are not very weighty either despite what people say and they seem to be a heck of alot lighter than my specialized chunder summer tires ;)

rolling resistance but if your noticing it its probably time for a tyre switch anyway.
the price can be quite steep but check ebay for some amazing deals.

they are an amazing tyre choice for someone who likes to ride in the winter an not be all over the place. if anyone here says that they wear fast likr only getting two weekends then thats a load of bu**$^it i ride two and from the trails with them on (20 minuet cycle) and they still have the desired sharp edges needed to cut into the mud.
so if you antisipate some wet weather ahead and need some downhill tyres then look no further.

[Oct 26, 2012]
Alexander M

OVERALL
Strength:

Digs into soft soil and grass. Easier to mount on SUN Doublewide Rim for rear wheel. Good Rubber Spike Tips for traction.

Won't roll fast on flat pavement, go about normal speed or casual pace.

After my mobster tire wore out, this wetscream tire by MAXXIS was no problem mounting and applied the MAXXIS Downhill Innertube, went well on rim and put back on Banshee Morphine. Rolls pretty well and doesn't extend it's sidewalls like the mobster tire did. The mobster tire's sidewall expanded on a curve saying, You not gonna ride on me anymore, then gave out by the evening partially separating the valve on the innertube. I am more satisfied with the wetscream tire over the mobster tire and would definitely purchase the wetscream tire again because it proves to be a good tire to roll in mud, grass and dirt. I can still roll downhill on pavement faster than the other tire (mobster). I'm satisfied with it in a 26x2.5 width because there is more room than when I had the mobster tire in reference to clearance on both sides of the tire. The MAXXIS WetScream tire is a proven performer.

MAXXIS Tires as Mobster and Minion DHF

[Nov 11, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

grip, grip, grip, and more grip thats what its all about !

rolling resistance.. but you won't do like me and use it in a cross country ride right ? and i could say heavy but its a DH tire is supposed to be... and its a bit expensive...

great tire for mud and wet conditions, rolled right trough some deep mud with no slip, climbs like a beast but its for DH... nothing will make this tire slip its insane I never thought I could roll trough what I did with this tire, cornering grip is amazing even when everyone else is sliping... but plz don't use it for hard pack or dry conditions its not gonna last... its more than excellent for what its supposed to do, to me its a no brainer...

swampthing, kenda kolossal

[Jan 18, 2009]
3utcher

OVERALL
Strength:

Grip on soft soil

Rolling resistance (but we don't care when riding in mud)
Grip on hard-wet surfaces

I've bought a pair in june, and waited for a extremely muddy week end to try them.

So i had 2,7 SRY Minion DHF at the front.
Before the first run, it started to rain very heavy (pacific rain =P) for about 30min.. So I changed the front wheel (always keep 2 wheels with you, one with mud tire, one with nonmud tire).
I crashed 2 times in the first run, both on wet but hard surfaces.

Yesterday i tried them on a non muddy terrain, but very soft (i was the first to ride on this new trail). It grip like heeelllll !!!!!

I have to try Swampthing and michelin mud tires, but Black Turtle are better than Wetscream.

Black Turtle

[Feb 28, 2006]
monkeyfist

OVERALL
Strength:

CRAZY grip in mud and snow conditions

little on the narrow side of the claimed 2.2"

These things give you that extra edge you need in winter/muddy conditions, but I certainly wouldn't ride these things year round. While some have commented on the wieght of these, I really can't say that I've noticed it, like I said, I've been riding in winter conditions here so everything slows down considerably. These things HOOK UP on climbs and RAIL corners, especially over snow or mud; I'm actually surprised how fast they are having just come off of my summer Nevegal set-up. These things are worth having in your quiver for special conditions and at $5 each, you can't go wrong!

Nevegals, Weirwolfs, Velociraptors

[May 13, 2006]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

These really hook up on wet roots and rocks and track well at 25 psi. They shed mud and snow better than any tire I have encountered. The sidewalls don't flex excessively.

Extremely high rolling resistance. Take a lot of effort to get the bead over the rim. - heavy

I wish I had found these years ago. They really deserve 5 chilis.

Various Michelins, IRC TrailBears, Mythos,

[Feb 05, 2004]
Rich Lammers

OVERALL
Strength:

These tires get truely amazing traction. They stick like glue even in deep soupy mud. I have not gotten a pinch flat yet either.

Agressive tread is harsh on trails.

I live in the Pacific Northwest where we get tons of rain. Basically 9 months out of the year most trails are complete mud. These tires get amazing traction even in the worst of conditions. They are the best mud tire I have used thus far.
Make sure though that they are only used on muddy trails. Pavement will eat them alive and you will eat dirt trails alive so try to avoid both.
Final verdict, an excellent product, especially if you buy them off of ebay. Oh yeah, they weigh around 925 grams according to maxxis.com.

[Jul 30, 2005]
Rudi Gale

OVERALL
Strength:

Good grip in muddy terrain and grass, clears itself (no mud stays on it)

Slowly

It's a great tire if you use it in right conditions. It looks pretty slim for a 2,5 tire.

High Roller

[Jul 28, 2002]
David

OVERALL
Strength:

The tire hooks up in everything. It loves grass, mud, sludge, and every other kind of crap thats on the trails. There is no problem laying the bike down in the mud through a berm or descending down a grassy ski slope, it will hook up. Also, a bonus, even under heavy breaking, the tire will not allow your wheels to lock out and slide all over in the mud, you will slow down under control... it's just amazing.

Well, it is horrible for the trails, it ripps the trail to shreds, but... it's worth it. Wet rocks can* be difficult only because the width is only 2.1 and it seems skinny. Be prepared to have your knobs ripped off if you run these in the dry.

DO NOT USE THIS TIRE IN THE DRY, but... if it is wet (hints the name wet scream) , throw them on, if your race run consists of alot of muddy forest sections and grassy finishes, they are the best. I have only used the super tacky compound, so go with that.

Every tire made for DH by Maxxis. The swampthings are great too, also they are more enviromentally friendly if you care. Oh yeah, and my Minion's are in the mail from maxxis, so i will post my review for them as soon as they open a link.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.