Maxxis Minion DHR Tire

Maxxis Minion DHF MP60 26 x 2.35 Tire: Ramped knobs for low rolling resistance, fore-to-aft channel cut knobs for straight line control, large block side knobs for cornering.

[Sep 19, 2011]
lew242

OVERALL
Strength:

-Much faster than a Nevegal
-Off camber grip is incredible
-Anti puncture durability
-High speed stability

-A little heavy
-A little slow
-Tad narrow for size
-Wear fairly quickly

This is a review for the single-ply 2.35 60A wire bead version.

I found the DHR to be slightly more predicable at slow speed and climb a little better than the DHF on the rear and a little faster on flat paved and fire roads, but the DHF more stable at speed and longer wearing on rocky terrain, so DH/FR would favor the DHF all round and AM the DHF/DHR combo.

I don't think I would put the DHR on the front, but it would pair up well with a Nevegal on the front amongst many others.

Don't be fooled, Single-ply Minions are fine for Aggressive AM and trail riding, although you have to get used to them.

The DHR is a good tire, and Minions are solid, looking forward to trying the Minion 2 though.

Maxxis Larsen TT, Maxxis High Roller, Maxxis Minion DHF, CST Maverick, Kenda Nevegal, WTB Prowler, DMR Moto RT, DMR Moto Digger, Continental Avenue

[May 29, 2011]
SCALA-X

IL GLISSE

j'AI ACHETER CE PNEU (MINION DHR, 2.35" MAXXPRO 60A) POUR LE METTRE EN DH MAIS JE L'AI TESTER SUR MON ENDURO VITE FAIS, EN FAISANT QUELQUE TOURS ET JE TROUVE QU'ILS GLISSENT COMME DU SAVON DES QUE C'EST UN PEU HUMIDE..

JE LES AI DIRECTEMENT DÉMONTER ET IL TRAINE DANS MA CAVE DEPUIS...

INTENSE, SWAMPTHING

[Feb 22, 2011]
Pieschelc

OVERALL
Strength:

This is simple an awesome tire. Great traction. You can wait till the last minute to use the breaks and this tire will responded. Corners great and does not slide out.

None. It is made to go down the hill and thats what it is good at

With the Minion DHR on the rear and the DHF on the front it is the best combo I have used so far. I have the 2.50 and the super tacky. With that there is no sliding. You can even point and shoot through a rock garden, not slipping down the sides of rocks. Better yet roots are much less of a problem. I use these for mainly downhill, and some freeride.

Maxxis Minion DHF on the front.

[Oct 30, 2010]
Ericmopar

OVERALL
Strength:

Grips everywhere.
It's excellent for technical climbing.
It's excellent for technical descending.

None on dry rocky terrain.
None in sand and gravel.

This review is for the new larger volume, 2.35 Folding, 60 Maxpro, single ply version.
(The casing on the 2.35 folding Minion, is closer to the 2.25 Ardent in volume nowadays.)

I normally wait longer to do a review these days, but Maxxis' 60 Maxpro compound and casing technology, are well known to me, and others.
Therefore, I don't think long term durability is the issue in this review.

This tire is a great rear tire in desert conditions.
I've taken it on three technical rides and did some really sloppy crap a couple of days ago, and the DHR shined.
I've never had this much climbing and descending traction on the rear before.
I paired it with the 2.5 Minion DHF, EXO, 60MP on the front and it's the shizzle. I've used the DHFs on the rear, but like an idiot, never used it on the intended front before.
What a great combo.
The bike is extremely nimble with these tires. It feels much lighter than it's actual weight.
Tracking in sand and gravel, is very good to excellent.
Climbing traction in loose and on hard rock is excellent.

Note: this is not a DH tire combo. These versions of the Minions were designed for use in severe terrain, while climbing and descending.

I can honestly say, this is hands down, the best tire combo I've ever used out here.

High volume tires from; Kenda, Maxxis, Continental, Geax.

[Aug 30, 2010]
NO_BRAKES

OVERALL
Strength:

INCREDIBLE GRIP UPHILL! INCREDIBLE GRIP DOWN HILL! Digs so deep I'm surprised the EPA hasn't banned them for tearing up more land in the USA. This tread pattern rocks!

NONE! An environmentalists worst erosion nightmare. Expensive but worth the grip man. They will tear up the environment anywhere they go because they dig.

Bottom line is there is no better tire on the market. The industry says it. Maxxis says it. It's their best selling tire. Too many people use it to not believe it. It comes standard on the best downhill racing bikes in the world inclucing Intense, Foes and any other top brand racing bike. The pro's use them and so should you. The 60 durometer one's are the stiffest nobs you will find. They grab hold of mud and dry conditions and hold. I never slip uphill, wet or dry. It's that simple man.

Maxxis Helter and Skelter tires.

[Jun 15, 2009]
klan80

OVERALL
Strength:

even with 50a compound have small rolling resistance. grip is good. I was stunned how well grips on uphill!! I was never able to pedal my DH uphill until this.

softer compound makes rear end of bike little bit wobbly when riding on side-slope rocks, but doesn't loose grip doing that. would help if inner layers of side treads would be stiffer I believe.

funny thing: downhill tire that saves a lot of energy uphill

schwalbe, tioga, kenda, michelin,...

[Jan 02, 2009]
Biggwhit

OVERALL
Strength:

Really grippy, sticks to all surfaces! strong side walls, no chance of pinch flats

Heavy, doesn't shed mud very well

Really good tyre FOR DOWNHILL USE ONLY, I got some for XC/All Mountain and found they are very draggy on all surfaces and not suitable for XC/All Mountain riding.
Can't fault the product for what they are designed to do!

Kenda Nevegals 2.35

[Jul 22, 2008]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

This tire came stock on my 08 stinky and over the last 6 months it has saved my neck many of times. It has saved me from getting hit by cars, crashing into trees and sliding out and faceplanting in front of a group of hot girls:P Seriously i am really impressed with these tires, they arnt heavy, have little rolling resistance, and grip like a brick S#it house

Starting to wear out, but only because the ground i ride on is dry and i skid alot, so not the tires fault

These tires are great, loads of gip and traction and dont have much rolling resistance compared to my mates nevegals. Hnstly these tire will never let you down.

Kenda nevegals
Various others

[Nov 08, 2006]
Matt

OVERALL
Strength:

Superb grip on hard pack or loose rocks, really predictable.

Not quite as much grip in deep soft dirt.

I initially bought a different Maxxis tire, but it was a lot narrower than I wanted. The bike shop didn't have any of those in the 2.35 size so suggested the Minion. I am a XC rider and was a little sceptical, but tried it anyway. I left on a trip and had to deal with what I had. Initially, the tires had no grip going up hills. No surprise there, so I flipped the tire around backwards, and have been amazed. On hard pack or loose rocks, I can climb steeper terrain than I thought possible. My legs give out before the tires slip. After about 400 miles on these tires, they are still holding up very well. I'm glad I went with this tire.

[Jul 03, 2006]
ally burden

OVERALL
Strength:

grippy even on wet leaves (though i would point that out as they were unbelivable in my pine pin covered trail. dont ware down easily, come really fat

buy these for downhill and they wont let you down

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.