Maxxis Larsen MiMo Tire

Maxxis Larsen Mimo Cross 700c: Cyclocross loose to wet conditions tire for front or rear. Small, ramped round knob tread, 60 tpi casing. Special knob shape penetrates soil, sheds loose debris. Single Compound: one compound...

[Dec 28, 2012]
Dust

OVERALL
Strength:

They are okay for going up a clean hard pack hill. Best for riding straight up a tarmac hill.

They are terrible as soon as the terrain gest even mildly loose, don't even try to roll over on the sides on anything more than solid hard pack.

After giving them a honest number of chances I have relegated these to the bin. Back to Schwarble Racing Ralphs... actually anything is better.

Ice skates. Walking on banana skins.

[May 10, 2010]
David

OVERALL
Strength:

great grip - really a gamechanger for me, rounded profile means it dives into corners and then rails.
comfortable - look to be a little higher profile than other maxxis tyres
fast rolling
Don't have that off center tread gap of a lot of maxxis tyres - good for an average bike handler like me

Set up skinnier than expected - see comment re profile above, tha'ts where the 'bag' went. Not so bad though in winter, should cut through. Could be a bit pressure sensitive - felt very good at 30psi, a bit skaty at 35

I am very impressed with these tyres (light at 470gms)obviously only new but I feel strongly enough to recommend them.

larsen TT (great tyre), crossmark (no braking grip), ignitor (great grip, no roll)

[Oct 09, 2009]
NicHolmes

OVERALL
Strength:

I have always enjoyed Maxxis tires. Good with the Traction.

Soft Compound does not like rough stuff or tarmac

Awesome tire if you riding loose over hardpack. I did a 106km cross country race a few months back and the tire was epic. It wasnt very happy with the 15 odd km on tarmac though, the tread showed the signs with knobs having tears in them (I stopped prior to the tar section and checked my tire for suspect puncture). Also seems to handle ok with a bit of mud. Havent tried them in the serious wet yet. I think the 1.9" width is awesome on the speed front. And very happy with the traction.

Larsen TT, Rendez, Wormdrive

[Aug 17, 2003]
Clive Rubens

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, fast

weak sidewalls

Tried this tire yesterday for the first time under virtually all conditions except mud and was reasonably impressed considering the light weight Today I had gone 500m when the sidewall blewout and ended the trip. Pressure was 60 lbs and the trail was fairly smooth. This is not good enough, I was hoping to use the tire for an upcoming 80Km race but not any more.

Python, Panaracer fire XC Pro

[Jun 02, 2003]
Jason Mo

OVERALL
Strength:

Rolls fast, light, hooks-up surprisingly well

Wet roots and rocks

I've raced these on loose, dry hard pack, and wet mud. They work best on dry/moist dirt. I was surprised at how well they hook on wet uphills. I think that it's the little round knobs. With the right technique, you can ride them anywhere. Good for most racing, but not for really wet stuff.

A bit narrow, so not for big riders who pinch flat.

lots

[Mar 06, 2006]
spiro vagenas

OVERALL
Strength:

very good looking,comfortable ride. light

very quick wear

This is a review for the larsen mimo cx. With winter in denmark the road can often be icy so I need a very sure footed tire. I commute to work and back on a 22km country road. I have to say the larsen mimo's held the road fine but the tire wear is excessively quick.

fast freds, Hakkapeliita A10, LHR's and a hand full of others.

[Feb 20, 2006]
josh

OVERALL
Strength:

lightweight, low rolling resistance

Fragile, small/low volume (harsh ride), traction stinks on anything wet, short life span

This is the Larson Mimo Signature model, used on the rear:

At 100 miles, knobs are missing & the sidewalls are giving way (threads are coming through in several spots). I don't expect much for $10, and that's what I got. This would make a great tire for longer races on fire roads or forest duff. But at the end of the race, you'd probably want to replace it. I wouldn't use this tire for races that involve any rock gardens.

"I'm going, going... back, back ... to WTB."

Half of them

[Jul 18, 2002]
Zeke

OVERALL
Strength:

I have the 1.9's, I use them as a rear tire. They are very fast rolling and they offer good traction. I thought that they might be a little narrow but it helps them to cut through mud. I'm really happy with this tire on the rear in XC conditions. It's actually pretty agressive compared to other racing tires like the Super-X or the Pythons and it still rolls really fast.

None.

I am really happy with this tire. I bought it because it was on sale and I don't regret it. It hooks up really well and it rolls fast. It's skinny but it rides well. I never notice it when I'm racing and that's a good thing. I was using a Bontrager SS on the rear and I liked the speed but it wasn't the best if it started to rain or in loose conditions (it is a semislick after all).This tire grips everywhere and it even works in the mud. I would buy another for sure and I'm looking around for Maxxis tires as replacements for my freeride bike.
The bottom line is that the tire is a good value-I got them for $28 CDN (wire bead) and I rate them very high as a racing tire for XC.

I've used all sorts of tires. The closest to these would be Bontrager SS and Continental Cross Country. Rolls faster than the Conti and hooks up better than the Bontrager.

[Nov 26, 2006]
Bert

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight

Bought the 1.9 size tires that actually measure much smaller.

I bought these tires thinking that these would work well enough for the conditions I ride. Wrong, these work great in dry hardpack conditions, but forget about it if you have loose soil, roots, or sand.

Bunch of stuff

[Oct 26, 2002]
Adam

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice knobs, hooks up better than semi-slick, still rolls fast.

None for specific use.

Sweet tires for loose hard pack, hook up good in corners and climb nice. pretty good in mud and wet grass too. Great if you want a fast tire for conditions on a hard trail. not the greatest for really messy stuff. still go with the Z-max for that. little bit expensive

Ricthey Z-Max, Alpha-max, Tioga 2.1 knobbies

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.