Maxxis Aspen Tire

From what we understand, some folks race both uphill and down. Even more ridiculous, the Maxxis Aspen Tire is specifically designed for these wackos. The combination of high volume and low profile lugs makes for a smooth ride and very little rolling resistance, and the dual-compound, directional lugs grow to monstrous proportions at the corners, allowing you to lay the bike way over in high-speed turns without losing traction.

[Sep 02, 2019]
N_M_B

OVERALL
Strength:

-Very fast on the flats -Decent cornering on dry surfaces -Hooks up better than expected -480 gram weight This is a fantastic tire for smooth terrain without too many roots / rocks / wet stuff.

-Weak sidewalls -2x pinch flats over a 8 mile ride on rocky terrain -Loses traction easily in loose stuff / kitty litter -Loses traction on roots when climbing -Not an ideal tire to run with tubes - much better tubeless

Price Paid:
2019
[Dec 27, 2014]
ernie

OVERALL
Strength:

Super rolling resistance mainly because of the lack of knobs, but thats why I bought the tire. I'm using it on the rear, the front have Nevegals which you need for steering, etc. I was using Small Block 8's in the rear, but it was too much rolling resistance, so I decided to go with this Maxxis. It does what its supposed to do. Great on hardpack and fast. Doesnt corner that well, but better than Small Block 8's.

Kind of over-priced, like Continentals and Specialized tires.

For anywhere in Southern California these tires are great. For anywhere else where it rains and there is mud, it wont do well. Its basically a hard pack tire.

[Dec 17, 2014]
AshevilleMtBiker

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth

Bad cornering
Bad traction on steeper hills

I'm guessing this tire was made for cruising on flats. This isn't for singletracks with lots of hills and corners. Almost crashed a couple of times because it wouldn't hold.

[Nov 18, 2013]
goofas7070

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, fast rolling, quality materials

price, low volume

Fast on hardpack and sandy trails. I run with tubes at 30 psi and have had 0 issues for 100 miles. If you are looking for a fast grippy dry use tire this is it.

[Nov 17, 2013]
bart

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast rolling tires. Good on hard pack. Fair on the road.

Very weak cornering capabilities. Weak in watery mud also on the straights.

These tires came on my gt zaskar 100r 29er fully i dont like them. Thats mainly because they break your cornering confidence. They have very weak in the corners and are unpredictable. This even becomes worse when riding in watery mud. Even the backside broke out in mud i never had that before with 10+ yrs experience. Would not buy them.

Schwalbe racing ralph

[Aug 21, 2013]
Sablotny

OVERALL
Strength:

2.25" nominal casing and it measures - 2.20" on my rims! Great to have something even close to advertised width. Thanks for the honesty Maxxis. Not the lightest tire, especially for a semi-slick, but its proven durable for over 1,000 off road miles. Rolls fast, traction comes as much from a high volume, low pressure casing as much as the minimal tread. Great pricing from Maxxis. I see no difference in quality & design comparing several Maxxis and Schwalbe tires - so why pay double for tires?

Traction is not priority one with any semi-slick, speed is.

This is a semi-slick, period. If you're buying this tire, you want speed at the expense of absolute traction. The trade-off has been good to me so far, but lately I've found some full knobbies that roll just as quickly, based on my Strava times (i.e., new Specialized Ground Control) but offer better traction to boot.

[Jul 25, 2013]
Derrick

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast fast fast on pavement/hardpack/doublewide/smooth singletrack

Snakebite prone on the rear (unless you run high psi), poor cornering grip, performance falls sharply in wet or muddy conditions

These came on my 2011 Kona Caldera. At first I was supremely satisfied with performance, but this summer has been wet and I now lose all confidence after getting any mud in the tread. Skids very easily on even soft corners, and slides across diagonal technicalities instead of rolling over. Overall I found them a great option for dry, flowy, XC conditions, mediocre in all-mountain technical stuff, and awful in wet conditions. Going to be replacing with some Rocket Rons or Fire XC Pros most likely

[Feb 24, 2013]
kjlued

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, low resistance

poor traction in corners

These came on the bike.
They are a fast tire but unpredictable.
Great for long distance mostly straight riding.
Not so great for pushing on down hill twisty single track.

[Nov 27, 2012]
Panchito

OVERALL
Strength:

I always liked semislicks, these remind me of a Michelin Jet tires, but thes are like a turbochrged version of them. Despite the reviews, I am using it in the front with a maxxis superlight tube and have no problems, I like the way it feels, more "flat" unlike say a Python, more round, I tested it in rough terrain, rocks, loose, hardpack, every dry condition out there and to me, it´s a great front tire too, combined in the rear with a Kenda SB8 Tubeless, the setup rolls fast and can handle anything, agrressive riding no problem. Rode it pretty gnarly and felt predictable, no lack of bite, or scary as some mentioned. I can handle small knob and semislck tires well, can´t stand slow rolling tires. Strong up front, stable.

A bit prone to snakebites in rear if used with tube, in the front no problems. weight in my scale 580g, it´s allright for me.

Great tire front or rear. If u have the technique to handle it. Predictable, more flat surface, good braking, good feedback, I thought it´d be sketchy up front, but not at all, nice feeling, and rolls fast, rolls smooth, bites better than a Python or a SMB8. but also enters that fery fast range of thread design with a little more bite. As I said reminds me of a Michelit Jet S but with better perfomance, excellent straightline speed, stable, quiet.

[Oct 22, 2012]
Nick

OVERALL
Strength:

rolls fast, handles single track way better than expected, light, stable, predictable

a bit of slip climbing steep gravel road

Well worth the price, cheaper, faster, and a better turning tyre than the CrossMark

CrossMark on same bike

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.