Kenda Nevegal UST Tire

The Kenda Nevegal UST tire has tall knobs designed to penetrate and hold on loose terrain. Perfect for loose or wet conditions.

[May 04, 2016]
Drew

OVERALL
Strength:

I liked the grip the tire gave me.

Could not get to seal properly. After the first ride the tire would pop and come off the rim when I wasn't even riding the bike. Also after running tubes in them I have noticed the side walls seem weak.

I was looking for a tubeless tire set up. The tire failed to seal properly but I enjoyed the tire after putting a tube in it.

[Nov 10, 2014]
Greg

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent traction
Durability

Heavy
High rolling resistance

This review is for the Kenda Nevegal, 26x2.1, UST. I have used this tire for one season on some of the toughest trails along Colorado's front range and Moab.

This tire has great traction in a wide range of conditions, and that is a great quality to have as an all-mountain rider. While the tread life is shorter than some other tires I've used, it has held up well. I haven't lost any lugs. I have had no flats and never lost a stitch of air until recently; I must have run over a cactus or something that has caused a slow leak between the treads. I have run without sealant.

I found this tire to be heavy and has a lot of rolling resistance. Going tubeless is supposed to improve these qualities but I don't think I've gotten that. Next I'm going to try a tubeless ready tire that is lighter than the Nevegal UST and hopefully lower rolling resistance.

[Sep 21, 2012]
jrogs

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, good traction, don't leak

Heavy, slow, noisy

Tjese tires are super grippy and work perfect if you are not in a race. They are sort of heavy. They have good traction.

[Aug 09, 2012]
Tillers_Rule

OVERALL
Strength:

Grippy, strong

Heavy

26" run mostly cross country, a bit of all mountain. 2.1 in the rear at 40 psi, 2.35 up front at 35 psi on a FS. I"m 6'4", 210 lbs geared up. These tires are a good value and last a decent while. I go through rears every 6 months or so and fronts every year. This is with 2-4 ride a week on hard packed, dusty, so cal terrain. The only flats I get are usually in the rear and due to pinch flat after launching off a drop off and landing with the side wall on a rock. Just picked up a 29" er and will definitely give these a shot.

Panaracer dart and smoke.

[Jul 17, 2012]
SilentG

OVERALL
Strength:

Grippy, inexpensive, seated up well on my Mavic XM819. Do not wear particularly quickly on rear

Burped with lateral hits at 23 PSI to 30 PSI, weeping of Slime in certain spots, sidewalls a bit thin for a UST tire compared to other (WTP, Conti) UST tires I have used.

I ran the 2.1 UST on the rear of my Kona Dawg for over a month and I liked this tire but ultimately replaced it with a Conti Trail King 2.2 Black Chili.

For most riding this tire does just fine, however, I ran into an issue with small burps when going up rock ledges (perpendicular to my tire).

I would not burp when cornering, whipping through a rock garden, etc but I would burp and spew some sealant consistently on these ledges and I have not had this happen with any other UST tire.

I tried modulating pressure from 23 PSI to 30 PSI and no change. Does not happen with other UST tires on the same trails.

I'm about 200 lbs geared up and I don't ride in an overly aggressive fashion. The only thing I can think of is that sidewall at 2.1 is not stout enough to resist these hits.

I had no problems with bouncing around in rough stuff as far as feeling the side knobs pinging off of rocks. Also had several spots where liquid was seeping through the tread from the Slime I had in the tire.

The traditional knock on Nevegals is rolling resistance and I'm fine with some rolling resistance when the trade-off is grip and I wasn't disappointed with these tires in that respect.

For the cost and grippiness I would say that these are worth using/trying.

WTB Prowler MX 2.3 UST, Kenda Excavator 2.1 UST, Conti Trail King 2.2 UST Black Chili

[Oct 06, 2011]
rc95066

OVERALL
Strength:

rolls faster that the set I replaces, with better traction and a solid feeling.

I have 26 x 2.35 fr and back. They are UST's but i am using a heavier duty tube instead of sealant. It seems heavier over-all but rides like it's light as a feather

Texas is rough terrain for tires. I built these up and they are riding circles around the Maxxis setup a abandon. Affordable too

High Rollers LUST UST's, regular Nevegal's, Holy Rollers, and a few others. Texas Hill Country is tough on tires

[Feb 11, 2011]
Spanky_88007

OVERALL
Strength:

Using this as my rear tire and it grabs pretty darn good on all the loose stuff in southern NM. The sidewall has been impervious to the sharp rocks so far, and I've run it with Stan's in it with no problem. It rolls pretty fast, faster than the Velociraptor did.

Durability. I've got less than a dozen rides on it, and the center knobs are pretty beat up - but then, I am a 230 pound guy riding over nasty rocks in the desert, so I don't expect tires to last TOO long, just wish this one was lasting a little longer.

This tire has some pretty good traction, a beefy sidewall, and is fast rolling. While I like it, I think the bike mags are a little too in love with it. If you can afford to replace tires frequently, this is a great tire. I do wish Kenda would use a more durable rubber compound or reduce the price of this tire, because I don't really care to spend 40 bucks every couple of months on a tire. I could live with spending 25 bucks per tire, though.

WTB Velociraptor(pleas please please WTB, make a UST version of this tire!)

[Jan 06, 2011]
SF TKO

OVERALL

ALERT !!! Do not purchase these tires if you intend on using any type of sealent.I have had 3 tires fail in the last 9 months. I contacted Kenda about the problem and they were cocky about their product and did nothing to try and help me out.

Look elsewhere if you need to run a sealent. You are simply throwing your money away if you do so. Boooo to Kenda

Various

[Oct 04, 2010]
dezertf150

OVERALL
Strength:

Great tire but only lasted one ride because I used Stan's sealant. Kenda won't stand behind the tire and you can run a not seald tire in the dezert and expect to ride for any period of time. I would have had 6 flats if it wasn't for Stan's in these tires but then two weeks later the tires came part.

Not sealable

Junk tires and a company that won't stnad behind them.

Geax, Tioga, Specialized

[Sep 17, 2010]
adobe

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice tire if you don't need to put a sealant in it - but then again where would you ride then?

Inside blisters and de-laminates after 20 or so rides when running them with tire sealant

If you ride trails where you need tire sealant (IMHO its needed as much as air) then DO NOT BUY THESE!

Tires got some terrific mountain bike mag award and they can free with the new rims I purchased so it sounded like a win win. NOT

After about 20 rides my rear tire blistered out and was un-usable. Pulled it apart and it looked like it de-laminated on the inside letting air inbetween the two layers.

After another 20 rides it happen to the front tire.

Of course Kenda says dont run them with tire sealant - Sure I also wont put air in them.

Went to Panaracer FireXCPros and am running tire sealant with no problems so far.

Panaracer FireXCPro UST

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.