Kenda Kozmik Lite II Tire

• L3R Pro rubber compound
  • Tread design offers greater traction and control due to its wider casing size

[Sep 19, 2016]
Forster

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, supple, light.

Cornering hard in loose dirt.

I was looking for the middle ground between Bruce Gordon Rock and Roads (which I love) and Race King 2.2s for my Fargo. These ride like an exact mix of those two tires which is good for me. Haven't run them on mud yet, but they seem capable enough my normal Fargo rides.

[Jul 06, 2012]
excalibur1200

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast lightweight tire, Quality, high volume, supple ride

Side knobs too narrow, squirms when pushed hard in corners.

In fairness this review is based mainly on pavement with the odd off road excursion.
Its fast, grippy, and very light for its size meaning it has large volume compared to some other 2" race tires, it measures a true 2.0" and comes in under the 480g specified by Kenda, a credit to them compared with oft way off numbers from other manufacturers. Kenda quality shows, its a nicely molded tire that's well finished to a high standard.
Only issue I have found is it can be squirmy when pushed hard through corners, the edge knobs flex a little because they are somewhat narrow, its fast but a little noisy too. Off road on hardpack, or soft over hard the knobs work better, which to be fair is this tires intended purpose. Unlike others here I had no flats in 6 months of ownership.

[Mar 09, 2012]
biggups
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Blazing fast, maybe fastest ever. Very light weight, tall tire profile gives great impact resistance and helps when pairing tires with a larger front. The profile is 52mm high, same as many kenda 2.1 and 2.35 tires. This means it could be used a rear with a 2.1 nevgal up front for a gnarly track. Way better grip in the corners than expected. Handles good for straight forward aggressive approach riders.

The tread should wrap around the casing a bit more. These are better than the larsen which is the worst in that category. Thin casing, but that the price you pay. Wish it was a little bit wider, not sure if they going to offer these in larger sizes???

These are extremely fast tires as advertised, faster than small blocks and larsons. They grip better than the larson by far because the knobs have better spacing and don't pack up easily. For racing or putting the hurt on people these tires could win it. Wouldn't recommend as a real a.m. tire if your going thru rocky descents. However i did some jump testing with the kozmiks and was very surprised how well they handled. Any low profile tread is going to boost more predictably off the lip. These handled the small to medium jumps, off camber landings, drops etc. Nothing too crazy but this is a 450gram xc race tire. The fact that it has such good traction and rolls that fast make it perfect for many different tracks. It says 480g on the tire but I got one at 455g and other was 447g. My goal was to find a light as hell tire that rolls like a small block but had a smaller casing. This kozmik does that and then some, and it rolls awesome on the street.

Small blocks, Larsen, panaracer, intense, schwalbe, conti

[Aug 03, 2010]
pat pisanello

OVERALL
Strength:

This has got to be the fastest tire in the universe

It's a semislick. I don't know how it would do in wet conditions.

I'm using it up front and it floats over loose and just flys on hardpack. Everybody seems to be going for the small block 8,a great tire. This one, believe me, is faster.

small block 8, explorer pro, fire xc

[Jun 13, 2010]
jackyhong

OVERALL
Strength:

light weight, speed increased compared i use panaracer 2.1 firexpro, downhill very fast, good grip uphill. great grip on tar & xc.

will easy puncture if low air.

i used this tire for my first race, 30km xc and i finished number 2nd!

havent found any similar yet.

[Mar 18, 2010]
davea-rockymountain041

OVERALL
Strength:

outstanding XC race tire: very light weight, low rolling resistance, smooth supple feel with reasonable volume for a 26 x 1.75 - 380g tire

doesn't hold air well -- pump up tire for each ride; but that's the price for such a light tire w thin side walls

This tire has excedded my expectations.... use it for fast/racing dirt---> period; not a technical trail tire[too low profile side wall] or even a paved road tire [too thin face and sidewall for high speed debris/small rock contact].

But absolutely a great XC race tire; best for rear [26 x 1.75/380g weight, ghetto tubeless w Stan's and 35 psi].. again running my Larson mimo on front [ghetto tubeless, 26 x 1.9 and 40 psi] for better cornering/traction/control in spring soft/mud trail stuff .... The rear tire has been great in most all conditions [wet/muddy, roots and some rocks on east coast single track over winter] but outstanding in dry where it accelerates like crazy, rolls like its on glass/extremely low rolling resistance, breaks away some but under control [not a bad thing in really tight corners] and seems to add to the rear suspension [the low profile and thin sidewalls flex just right at my weight [6'3"/215]//35 psi to help the shock/small bump stuff]. Tread is really amazing: large, low profile center pads offer "slick like" low rolling resistance while low profile edge knobs are adequate to hold corners well enough to accelerate thru tight high speed turns w confidence. I will try the second K-Lite on the front again when we dry out more into the summer.

Hey, the Kenda quality shows: So, if you are a go-fast type rider...try 'em

larson mimo/TT's, michlen XC2, hutch scorpion air light,

[Oct 05, 2009]
Diamondhead

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast and Light!!!

They are sooo fast it's easy to come into a corner too hot.

I'm running Kozmik Lite II 26x2.00 both front and rear, they are light weight (avg. 440 grams) super fast tires. The L3R Pro compound offers low rolling resistance, and long wear. Like most Kenda tires, they offer a high volume casting for a smooth supple ride. I mounted mine "ghetto tubeless" style with no problems, I run them at 40 psi rear, 35 psi front, the front tire tracks well around corners, while the rear tire breaks loose a bit (in a fun way not the scary way). They are getting hard to find now, it looks like I'm going to have to go back to Small Block Eights when may Kozmiks bite the dust. The bottom line is buy them (if you can find them).

Kenda Small Block Eights, IRC Mybro, and Continental Speed KIngs.

[Oct 04, 2009]
aL1

OVERALL
Strength:

light, low tread-resistance, rolls fast

not reliable

Rolls much faster than the stock tires. I ride mostly on pavement, and I'm very careful what I ride over, but I have had so many flats, I'm thinking of buying a case of tubes and a case of CO2 cartridges...I'm replacing them with a pair of GEAX Evo II's.

stock tires on Schwinn and Specialized

[Jun 05, 2008]
h.eye

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, low rolling resistance,

a little noisy for urban but not annoying in any way

Bought them for urban and light trail rides - they are no nonsense and do what they are supposed to do - light, low rolling resistance, expected level of traction from a semi-slick and seen to have fairly good tread life

IRC and various other semi-slicks

[Jun 03, 2008]
Wes Lamberson

OVERALL
Strength:

Light Weight, Low Rolling Resistance, Great Tread Pattern, Supple

Can be prone to sidewall slits. What race tire isn't?

I started using this tire in late November of last year. I have ridden it in Pisgah, Pennsylvania, Florida, Georgia, and just about anywhere you can imagine (except out West) And it has excelled in almost everything I can put it through. The tread pattern is perfect for racing, and allows me to make it drift when I want it to. All I have to do is pop my hip out to the side around a corner and it drifts. On rocky nasty downhills, it seems to just float above the terrain. In muddy conditions, it does take a little advanced pedaling to make it work well, but that is not really a problem.

I'll admit, its not a tire for everyone. Not many people can stand a tire that will break loose occasionally, and that's understandable. I like to use its strengths to make me faster on the race course, however. The slide has helped me out more than a few times when I come into a corner too fast and the tire whips the bike around and saves me. The rolling resistance makes it feel like I am running slicker tires than they really are. Sooooooo fast.

This tire is for you if:
-You want a light, fast race tire.
-You have good to excellent bike handling skills and know how to take advantage of rear wheel drift
-You can accept the fact that every tire has its limitations, and used as it is supposed to be used, that is in racing, this tire will uphold its end of the bargain.

Kenda Karma, Kenda Small Block 8, Panaracer Fire XC Pro, Kenda Nevegal

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.