Kenda Karma DTC XC Tire

Available At

When you mount this tire and rocket around race courses, it feels like you're receiving a reward for past good deeds. And to continue with the My Name is Earl comparison, it should be said that the tires have a large air volume for a soft ride. Kevlar beads help keep the weight respectably low.The DTC (Dual Tread Compound) tires lay down a harder, longer-wearing L3R Pro rubber in the middle of the tread while utilizing Kenda's soft Stick-E compound on the shoulders for better gription. L3R Pro is a low rolling resistance compound (L is for Low, R for Resistance) mixed with some grippy motorcycle tread compound. Using a fluid-based sealant product in any Kenda tire will void the warranty. 450g Application: XCGround: Hardpack

[Feb 17, 2013]
Mikecito

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightish, rolls well on hardpack/asphalt and has good volume

grip in wet conditions

First things first. I'm a clyde riding in the PNW so grip in muddy/wet root conditions is critical for me. I bought a Karma for a new back tire (2.35 Nevegal in front) on the recommendation of a LBS employee without doing any research. I've paid for my impulse buy with lousy rear traction in our wet conditions. I'll try it again in our upcoming 2 month dry season, but after getting pitched off the bike again yesterday from a wet root, I'm done with the Karma for now. YMMV

Conti X Kings

[May 28, 2012]
jon

OVERALL
Strength:

light, fast rolling.

slippery on lose soil.

I got these tires with my new Mondraker and from the moment I looked at them I knew I should have change them. Where I go riding it is very sandy and lose, I was corning into a berm and the bike just spat me out and damage the rear mech. so be warned don't use these tires on the lose stuff!!!

[Sep 17, 2010]
D-DUB

OVERALL
Strength:

Light & fast - low rolling resistance, good in dry conditions

Took a while to seal up with Stans, sketchy in wet (more than most), cornering hook-up "roll" takes getting use to

Very fast/light tires for dry summer conditions - not so much in wet conditions but do shed mud better than Nevegals. The corning "roll" before the side lugs hook-up feels skecthy at first, then you get used to it and they do hook-up well. Did fine in sandy over hardpack, but not so well in deeper sand. Seem sturdy in rocks & roots. The rear tire has rolled and lost pressure a couple times. Good race tire. No regrets for the $!

Panaracer Fire XC, Nevegals

[Aug 25, 2010]
pata1710

OVERALL
Strength:

Low rolling resistance, good all-round grip, light and very fast tire.

Noisy, not so good on loose stuff.

For that price, nothing I drove could beat it, great on the tarmac, packed surface or wet surface, ok on the loose stuff.
Great on the acceleration and curves and very light (400 grams) braking on the wet very reassuring. Very noisy, but so many strengths I just ignore it.

CST ATB (crusader), Bontrager LT3, some OEM tires.

[Jul 15, 2010]
Superpilot

OVERALL
Strength:

Sticky, Great Grip, Fast Rolling.

?, not supposed to be used with Stan's.

These are sticky when dry. Don't really know about durability since I used them for only about 2 months. Where my typical Panaracers would wash out on pine needles and such, these tires just stuck. You had to trust the sidewall knobs, it would slide just a touch then keep gripping with no problems. Couldn't believe how well they gripped on loose over hardpack, just kept leaning into turns. Loved these tires for their speed and confidence. 2.0 size with a Kenda Small Block 8 on the rear. This was XC riding, the tires are light, so if you are doing much more than XC, they may not hold up.

Panaracer Fire XC, Specialized Fast Trak, Bontrager Jones, Continental Race Kings, Kenda SB8.

[Oct 10, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast! Great grip. Light.

Slippery when wet

This tire is great of anything cross-country or all mountain when your riding dry. When you riding wet there are two sides to the story. The tires shed dirt and debris like water, nothing sticks to them and builds up. This is great and helps maintain grip, but cornering in them just does not happen. Maybe I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt, but with a 2.5X29 on the front, I think there shoud be plenty of traction for me to not have to think twice about where I'm going. Overall I still love this tires and don't plan on getting rid of them anytime soon because they are wearing down very little for how much I'm riding.

[Aug 23, 2009]
ajriding

OVERALL
Strength:

Perfect South Eastern tire. grips in all conditions and is very light. Good mud tire also. You can install this tire and be ready for anything conditions throw at you.

I would like to see a few knobs between the outer knobs and the 2nd outer row - maybe move some around.

Riders in the SE seem to love this tire. May not be the best for super dry hard-pack conditions, but works very well for softer soil and loose rocks etc.

everything

[Mar 29, 2009]
debusama

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, fast-rolling, decent traction

low volume, wearing quickly

I’ve had these for about a month (the 2.0 version). My first impression was that they are narrower than I expected, and the sidewall looked awfully thin. I first started using them while there was still a considerable amount of snow around, and my first couple of rides didn’t go well. These simply aren’t the right tires for snow and they aren’t meant to be, so I won’t hold it against them. Since the majority of the snow has melted, I have loved them. The trails I’ve been riding are mostly firm, moist soil with some rocky and muddy patches. I’ve read reviews that said they are prone to sidewall rips and don’t corner well in other than dry conditions. I intended to use my old tires in the sloppy early spring conditions, but they are so fast-rolling and light compared to the WTB Motoraptors that came with my bike, that it’s for me hard to bring myself to take them off and save them for my upcoming races (which is why I bought them).

There have been many times when I’ve been leaning hard into a turn, seen a patch of mud or jagged rocks poking up through the soil ahead of me, and mentally prepared myself for a slip & fall, or a ripped side-wall, but it hasn’t happened yet. Cornering and climbing has been as good as one can expect from such a light, fast tire. I’m very impressed with how they have preformed in the moist conditions in which I have been using them, and I’m really looking forward to using them on dry hard-pack, which is where they are really supposed to shine. The only criticism I have is that although they still have plenty of tread, they look a little more worn that I would expect from a tire with only about a month and 200-250 miles of use. I doubt I’ll be riding on them for more than one season if I continue to use them for my everyday trail rides. I’ve been running them at 35 PSI with Kenda super-light tubes (no flats yet).

Nevgal, blue grove, IRC Mythos, WTB Motoraptors

[Feb 10, 2009]
Patrick

OVERALL
Strength:

good traction, light to pedal, good on climbs

these are only good for the rear

michellins country trail, specialized enduro, kenda nevegals

[Jan 10, 2009]
jaseh

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, fast rolling tyre

Cornering grip, sidewall strength

Had the STD wire bead version of these on my old monocog and thought they were pretty good. This model I thought would be better with the better technology in them. How wrong was I!!! Ripped the side wall on a rock while riding on a dirt road, not even a 4wd track, had more punctures in the last 3 months than I have had in the last 2 years using the Michelins. As a tyre that you would put on for race day only on hardpack these would be awesome with there low weight and how well they roll in a straight line but for everyday use I wouldn't recommend them. I might try using just one on the rear with a nevegal on the front as they was out really bad at any sign of loose soil on the front.

Michelin XC dry2, XC/AT, Maxxis Advantage, Crossmark

• Available At

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.