Kenda Cortez Tire

• Dual Tread Compound
  • Light casing with folding bead
  • Fast rolling, low-profile knobs for dry conditions

[Jun 09, 2013]
TomFL

OVERALL
Strength:

has held up exceptionally well over varied terrain in several states, rolls decent. Been running this as a rear only for many years.

Tread will clog with mud/wet sand easily and leave you with a 1,500 gram slick

Overall I can't complain much about these tires, have run them as a rear only for several years in FL, GA, TN and NC and am happy with them. Previously ran a Nevegal setup F&R but when I quit riding so much I couldn't spin the big nevegals and switched, with this on the rear and a Big Betty on the front. Grip wise they are nowhere near a stick-e nevegal but they make up for it in speed. The big downside to this tire - and the reason I run it rear-only - is the tire will lose traction when you begin to lay the bike over in turns, but if you know it's happening and stay with it, it will catch again. I think it loses grip in transition from the center knobs to the edge knobs, when you look at the gaps in the treads you can see why it happens. It takes faith to not give up on it and a new user would probably toss it before really learning it. This also is a weakness on steep off-cambers where the Nevegals shined. Not nearly as good in wet/slippery rocks/roots as the Nevegal.

The other downside is that it will pack up with mud very easily, and will do the same with wet sand in S FL, leaving you with a very heavy tire and not much traction. To be fair I do not think it is designed for either.
The tires have held up exceedingly well, in fact so well I never carry a spare tube anymore (have run Stan's since before it was popular) except on the remotest of rides.

My gut feeling is that there are possibly better tires out there today and am about to switch to something else but am not coming up with much in this volume/weight/knob height combination.

[Apr 02, 2010]
forkboy

OVERALL

Why oh why did Kenda discontinue this tire? Lightweight 2.4 and super sturdy. I have this as a front tire on my 575 and it BOMBS the downhills and is light enough to pick up and put exactly where I want on the climbs.

I wish I had bought 10 of them when they were being cleared out.

[Jan 27, 2009]
slowrider

OVERALL
Strength:

Good size 2.3, fairly light, good desert traction, rolls well for its size and weight.

on the heavy side for it's moderate durability. too much of the size is taken up it height rather than width.

Good middle ground between DH and XC

All 2.35 Kendas, Panaracer Rampage 2.35, Maxis Advantage 2.4

[Mar 14, 2007]
Deo

OVERALL
Strength:

Good grip on any trail. Also kicks ass on cornering. These tires don't crack. I used to have a Kenda Nevagal on my mtb and it sucks, it got deformed after a few rides. The Cortez are cheaper and better. On my kind of riding which i can say is really rough and torturing the Cortez outperforms the Nevagals. Very lite compared to other tires.

None so far

These wheels rule!

kenda nevagal, kenda klaw

[Mar 06, 2008]
joe
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

half decent in dry weather, they're foldable, price...

puncture and get 'snake bites' very easily!
in wet weather they do not have much grip..

It's nice having a foldable tire.. but with these you are sacrificing strength! They have very bad grip in wet and get puntures and snake bites terribly easy no matter what the tire preassure.
But on the better side on wet smooth runs they have ok grip and corner well.
To be honest i would not buy these tires unless your area is very dry and not rough!

other kendas,maxxis' and michelin

[Feb 04, 2008]
benjamin thomas

OVERALL
Strength:

Sticky

not a full 2.4 but I'm just splitting hairs.

I've ridden these a few times and they are definitly stickier and faster rolling on the flats than my gravity's. We'll see how long they last. I got em for 20 each

Continental gravity pro.

[Jan 07, 2008]
Scott

OVERALL
Strength:

It's a true 2.2.
Corners well.
Works well in dry, loose and rocky conditions.
Rolls OK once up to speed.
Not too heavy for a good sized tyre.
Appears to wear well.

Mud sticks real hard to the closely spaced knobs.
Feels a bit slow when you are torquing big gears on smooth fire road hills - can't hold a candle to racier rubber as far as speed goes.

Review is for the 2.2 folding bead DTC tyre.
Kenda says on their site that this is a "fast" tyre - compared to what is the question.
I normally run racier style rubber, as I like light weight, low rolling resistance and it often works OK around here. The trails have been very loose of late, lots of gravel, loose rock and loose soil. So I wanted something with a good bag but not too heavy, and not slow. So these replaced my 2.1 Mibros.
These tyres do work well as a trail tyre in rough conditions - they give good climbing grip and spin up to speed pretty quick. They rail loose corners very confidently as well, and can handle being run nice and soft, for good cush factor.
BUT - get them on smooth fire road hills where you torque bigger gears and they start to feel a labour to push. These probably cost me a gear on most smooth climbs I think. If you are used to racy rubber like me, you will notice it. If you are used to trail tyres like the Nevegal or similar, you won't.
In short, if you want an all around trail tyre for loose, dry conditions these work well. If you want a tyre for open fire roads that screams "SPRINT ME!" look elsewhere. Forget these for mud - which is what Kenda says anyway. I think they've made a pretty good tyre here, but like most rubber it won't suit everyone, and the "fast" description is a bit misleading. They lack the zing of other bigger tyres I've used, like the Scorpion, for example. Despite several good rides in rocky abrasive country, these show no chipping, tears, and minimal wear - unlike the fast wearing Mibros I've just put back on....

Lots of XC and trail tyres

[Nov 25, 2007]
Lyle Steely

OVERALL
Strength:

Rolls really nice, corners great, good volume

braking traction in really steep loose descents

(Size 2.2)These tires are a great tire for someone looking for something more aggressive than a fast XC but not as extreme as the 2.35 Nevegal. They felt like they rolled just as good as the Spec Resolution, but didn't end up sliced to ribbons like the Resolution. I pulled all my turns just as fast as I would with the 2.35 N'gals, but without the weight and drag. They only weekness I found was they didn't hold as well as the Nevegals on really steep loose over hardpack descents. Whether that is a function of the tread or the smaller contact patch I am not certain. I like them enough to go ahead and grab another pair for a rainy day at that price. They will be my everyday tire...still sticking with Nevegals for the really harsh stuff and SB8's for racing. nuf said.

Nevegal, Advantage, Resolution

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.