IRC Mythos XC Tire

CAF Technology. Scaled down tread design and with a lighter casing suitable for Cross Country. Dual compound tread rubber for better bite, better cornering, and low rolling resistance. Weight 510g.

[Jun 18, 2020]
Cayenne_Pepa

OVERALL
Strength:

This supple XC tire mounts to my Vintage Mavic Crossmax SUP Ceramic wheels, without any tools whatsoever. Do yourself a huge favor - mount the rear tire as a front and vice-versa. The increased traction of the rear now acting as a front tire, is much more confidence-inspiring on the turns. The speed carried by the rear tire with climbing traction is greatly improved, when flipping the intended F/R orientation around. Gone are the sketchy cornering and sudden washouts. I installed a Panaracer FlatAway lightweight Kevlar liner, to further mitigate flatting the rear, since I only use sub-200g inner tubes on this wheelset. Do not ever let tire pressures get below 40psi on either tire. There simply is not enough volume to warrant low pressures, anticipating increased traction. Anything below 42psi results in a squirmy, wandering wheel, with high chance of the soft sidewalls rolling off the rim. Please realize when IRC released this tire in 1994 - it was intended as a smooth, groomed XC race course tire. It absolutely excels, in that environment. The supple CAF red sidewalls need to remain farthest away from hazardous surfaces. The tight, tall tread lugs are specifically designed to roll fast in dry, loamy dirt with a smattering of scree. It does require finesse to make this tire not lay you down. Find only the Made in Japan red wall tires. The Korean and Indo-Chinese made tires are not quite as good as the original Japan compound. You can get incredible durability from this tire, if you keep both wheels planted and not overcook into rocks, roots and loose over hardpack turns. The speed and rolling resistance is off the charts, favorably. Braking traction is great, as long as the tires are reversed like I previously mentioned. Tires weighed in at 516g and 525g respectively.

No longer produced, and increasingly harder to find NOS. The tire casing width is a disappointing 1.97" at 55psi. Since the tread lugs are tightly spaced, you need to run high pressures, exceeding 42psi. There is no way to run these tubeless, due to the porosity of the Carbon Aramid Forced red sidewall carcass....I already tried.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2002
[Oct 06, 2010]
Fuzz

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap durable tire.

Fast hardpack

A decent tire that performance often has on sale. My only complain is they tend to skitter at high speeds on the hardpack. It just doesn't roll smoothly and absorb the little stuff like the Kendas will.

Fire XC, Nevagal

[Sep 13, 2010]
pk

OVERALL
Strength:

fast rolling, good grip on most surfaces I have used them on, nice looking

I put roughly 35 miles off road on them and there was a severe blow out in the sidewall, right above the wire bead. Luckily, the bike was sitting on my roof rack and I wasn't bombing down a hill. Upon inspection, the steel bead wire seemed very rusted and the blow out in the side wall came right above the bead. The blowout looked like a 3/4 inch slice.

I really enjoyed the performance of the tire, but the blowout of the sidewall may scare me off from buying another one.

WTB tires

[Jul 20, 2009]
slomyro
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

keeps me on the bike more than i can say for the bontragers i had on did

they tend to hold on to the mud but i haven't come across to many tires that are a whole lot better either

overall pretty happy with the tire. no tire is perfect they all have plusses and minuses. for the price i paid im not complaining at all.

Bontrager, v raptors

[Jul 09, 2009]
davie

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap

Cheap

These tires suck. Do not waste your money or your time. The rear tire split after a 3 mile ride. Yes 3 miles! I emailed IRC twice absolutely no response at all. Not only do they make crap products but they don't have any customer service at all. Returned them to Perfomance no questions asked they replaced with WTB Velociraptor Tire which work great.

WTB Velociraptor Tire

[Jun 29, 2009]
SKV

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks cool

don't hold on rock... Don't hold on loose soil... Just don't hold...

Mythos has medium size pattern that tends to accumulates mud. Once stuck with mud tire becomes useless.

I ride every weekend in New Jersey My favorite trial are:
Ramapo, Ringwood and '6 mile run'. Like most NJ trails they are rocks, loose gravel soil, some mud, roots. Over years, I went through many IRC Trailbear and decide to try Mythos XC.

While riding across the slope Mythos tends to slide down. It also gets stuck with mud and slides on big rocks. While climbing wheel sinks in loose soil. Only on mud wheel finds some traction. I am 180 lb, so it is not about my weight.
I am back to Trailbear.

IRC TrailBear, Panaracer Fire xc pro, Panaracer Dart,

[Jun 07, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

durability, good mud clearance, good cornering

weight, sand performance

These tires came stock on my bike when I bought it. I thought about switching them out but decided to try them. They've handled great for several years. I mostly ride hardpack, some sand, some rooty trails but minimal hills since most of my rides are in Florida. They corner great and work well through the mud. I've had a few thorns, etc but nothing that caused major damage, although it's only a matter of time before any tire finds a thorn or rock ro gravel piece that ends it. I usually run 40-45psion both the front and back. I'd recommend these to anyone who rides cross country, expecially int he mixed terrain of the southeastern states.

bontrager, kenda

[Mar 25, 2009]
James Armstrong

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything imaginable!

Gets flats when you ride through cactus. That's about it.

This tire is awesome but I rode it through a cactus and it popped. I like to ride through rivers and washes.

You name it, I've tried it.

[Jan 26, 2009]
Lawson Raider

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability, traction

I have never noticed any issue with traction on these tires. I have ridden on snow packed trails with these and had but a minute slippage taking a curve fast.

If you ride sensibly, these tires do a wonderful job at keeping you on the trail. I have ridden these tires on flat and very steep terrain, very curvy terrain and for the most part, the tires did their job as well as can be expected.

In two years with running these tires, never (knock on wood) had a puncture but hoping I don't find out the hard way on how susceptible or not these tires are to punctures.

[Oct 26, 2008]
Barkleyfan

OVERALL
Strength:

price, weight

traction

Not the best tire I've run. Slides are predictable and easy to maintain. They are also inevitable. Tire packs with mud at low speed, and kills low speed climbs with spinning at the wrong time. My Giant Rainier has old worn, semi-slick Hutchinson Mosquitos that get better traction on climbs and in the corners. I do have to give the braking to the Mythos, especially in mud.

Bottom line is on dry hardpack, they rock. Throw anything else at them, they are disappointing.

Psycho K/TT, Smoke/Dart, Z-Max, Hutchinson Mosquitos.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.