Geax Neuron Tire

The Neuron is a fast and reliable hardpackTerrainTire for DH racers with an aggressiveTread pattern and heavy duty casing capable of withstanding modern World Cup racing levels of punishment.  claimed 1,090 grams heavy-duty dual-ply construction GeaxTNT (Tube noTube)Technology allows one singleTireTo work onTraditional rims with aTube inside, as well as onTubeless rims with noTube.

[Sep 15, 2013]
Hoolie
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Good size knobs, easy Tubeless setup(TNT version), true to size in 2.5 width, great cornering as the side knobs are firm not squishy, low weight for Downhill style tire with wire bead(TNT version), TNT is UST style bead. Used only in dry conditions so far.

Not really a weakness to me, but no center knobs. I think this is a great front tire but as a rear would not have as good of braking as a tire with center knobs.

This is the DH 2.5 wire bead TNT version. I used this in Downieville paired with a GATO 2.3 rear. Very fast combo. I was more confident than usual with this Neuron 2.5 front. I have about 20 rides on this and just starting to show wear, as in not new anymore, but 90 % tread left. Side knobs still like new. The soft triple compound is great for grip, with the side knobs very grippy as they also have some sipes. The side knobs are square as they rotate, providing braking surface during cornering if you need it. I think this is a very underrated tire, and can be very lightweight in the all mountain 2.3 version. Remember, GEAX tires are true to size, so a 2.3 is wider than most competitors 2.3. Pretty good volume, so I run it at 28 PSI for some fairly nasty rocky fast runs with full confidence that it will stay on my UST rims. Check out Geax website! Good info about tire construction of each version.

Geax Gato(my all around favorite tire), Hutchinson Toro, Nevegals, Maxxis Ignitor, Schwalbe nobby nic

[Aug 08, 2012]
Ryan Flynn
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Loads of grip in dry loose to wet and slimy conditions.
Strong sidewall, tight bead, yet plenty of forgiveness in big turns and technical sections.
Excellent rolling resistance
Weight is comparable to Nevegal/Minion
Tread pattern is robust, and has a lot of bite.

None, so far.

A front tire that inspires and seems to be the ultimate synapse connection between rider, bike, and trail.
After years of riding a multitude of tires, including a WTB Prowler – which split in the middle, like when a fat girl wearing tight shorts bends over to grab a piece of fallen cake - a Hutchinson Toro Enduro, a Kenda Nevegal Stick E, and a Maxxis Minon, I went for something totally new...the GEAX Neuron. All have been in the 2.35 – 2.5 size, and on 6” travel bikes with a Fox 36 TALAS 160 and 180 fork.

The Prowler was one of the mean pranks Jamis’ product department played on the XAM 2.0. I “upgraded” to a Hutchinson 2.35 Toro Enduro. That was a nice tire, but the sidewall peeled, like a banana, on the rocky roots trails in New Hampshire. I gave up, and went to the two market leaders: the Kenda Nevegal Stick-E and the Maxxis Minion DHF. The Nevegal was a great tire, but after a handful of rides, I moved it to the rear because the 2.3 Nevegal on the front was a little less connective than I wanted, and was slipping on tight corners like a cheap date after a couple cocktails. Just like that same type of date, I didn’t trust it much when I was in turns that needed side knob connection. Maybe the compound wasn’t right, but I was happy with it on the back. The next move was to put on a Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35. I rode that tire for two straight years. The tire, no doubt, helped my riding advance. It connected to the dirt in ways I had never experienced. It felt like there were spikes in the sides. The Minion was strong, digging into the dirt, and gripping even the wet roots and rocks in New England. I was in love. When I bought a new bike, part of me was just plain excited that the new bike came with a Minion DHF 2.5 on the front. The new bike was slightly larger – a 7” free ride/all mountain bike – that has been ridden well over 1,000 miles in a year and a half on epic enduro rides, bike parks, and the 2 – 3 weekly rides on aggressive New England trails.

Finally though, the wear was starting to show on the Minion’s side knobs. When I went to replace it before a weekend trip to Killington, I decided to grab a new, brand new unknown tire: the Geax Neuron. There were questions on the first lift – people making fun of the unknown tire, my fear that it was a 2.5 but looked like a 2.35/2.4 width, the fact that I had never read a single review of the tire. It was all getting in my head – I had the Minion in the truck. My plan was ride full tilt to the lift, and if it didn’t work, I’d switch. After the first run on the dry, loose dirt and rocks, I scrapped all plans to change tires. Five hours of high-speed abuse on bone dry Killington dirt, loose rocks, baby heads, and roots, followed by about 50 miles of trail riding on wet, rooty, muddy, rocky trails has really given me the ability to say with complete confidence that the GEAX Neuron is the clear champion to the Maxxis Minion. No doubt, the tire is better than me, and gives me confidence to put more trust in the front end of my bike.

Set at 30 PSI with a tube, the Geax Neuron connects at least as well as the Maxxis Minion. The Neuron goes in exactly the direction it is pointed. And, at speed, it holds turns in all conditions, as if you are riding hero dirt at all times.

Hutchinson Toro Enduro, Kenda Nevegal, Maxxis Minion DHF

[Sep 14, 2010]
MartinS

OVERALL
Strength:

Construction seems good. No pinch plats while we rode them.

Tires are really sketchy on roots, not overly confidence inspiring in 2.3 version that seems narrow for a 2.3. Rubber compound is on the firm side.

The 2.3 version is an odd tire, robustly built and Dh oriented but is narrower than a 2.25 IRC I had kicking around. Rode the tire back to back with a set of Der Kaisers and it was apparent which rode better pretty quick, I wanted to like the Geax's but both of us that were riding were unimpressed, they felt unstable and provided little confidence in rooty rocky conditions, the rubber compound gave no grip on roots and slid excessively.
They are much cheaper than the conti's and maybe the 2.5's are better, but in this version they don't cut it unfortunately.

Conti Der Kaisers, Trail Kings, Minions, High Rollers, Mobsters, WTB's, IRC's, Intense etc

[Dec 29, 2009]
cesslinger

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast rolling, excellent cornering traction

Mine is in good condition, but I have seen 2 other riders with sidewall tears. Typical AZ rocks (razor sharp) though.

Very fast tires. I can coast up some hills that should require a few pedals. I use mine as a front and it feels like it holds the line too well sometimes. As a front tire, it doesn't really like to slide. I had to learn how to loft the front tire and place it where I wanted it to go. Overall, in loose dry conditions, this tire rips and is durable enough for the price.

Kenda Nevegal

[May 12, 2009]
Corey

OVERALL
Strength:

Outstanding grip in dry to moderately wet conditions. Rolls very well. Extremely stiff sidewalls, never pinchflat. Well priced too.

Hard to find.

I took a gamble trying out this new brand and now Im off the Nevegals for good. These just plain stick better. And anyone who races Fontana knows you cant have a heavy tire with bad rolling resistance.

Kenda, Maxis,Intense

[Feb 05, 2009]
FormulaX

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent grip, low weight, 2ply 2.3! Fast rolling.

None so far

Excellent tire! I have been looking for a set of 2.3s that can hold up. The Neuron hooked up exceptionally well on intermediate dirt littered with rocks and leaves. For being Lighter and more narrow than my Nevegal 2.5s they held their own in traction and feel. Drifts were easily controllable on flat dry corners and inspired confidence.

Very pleased.

Maxxis Minon, Kenda Nevegal

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.