Geax Barro Mountain Tire

Geax Barro Mountain Tires: The Barro Mountain is a cutting-edge multi-purpose tire: aggressive, not too widely spaced knobs, for grip and good rolling. "Rails Design" side knobs, guaranteeing great reliability and stability when cornering.

[Nov 03, 2013]
Kamil Blaszczyk

OVERALL
Strength:

-good all-purpose tire,
- for a all-rounder quite light 2.1 foldable,
- very good bump absorption,
- good traction in dry, sand, roots, litter, rocks,
- very good breaking
- quite good at moderate wet condition, and moderate mud,
- quite long durability for that soft compound
- quite low rolling resistance

-2.1 size seem for me too narrow
- tire has two ways of rolling, but the difference between speed and traction way is almost not noticable
- not as good as a front tire, tends to wash out, but only in hard, low cornering in dry, sandy, chippings stuff
- tend to drift on very wet rocks and roots at higher pressure
- tire lost it's low rolling resistance below 40 psi (my weight 80 kg) at rear wheel,
- these are not strictly race tires
- there is no 29" version yet

I've been using them for almost a year, they are one of the most universal tires I've ever ride.
Very good tires for Beginner riders who are rather steerer than a leaner, If you looking for all-rounders they are the best, you can put them on, and riding them until they worn out, and that will be a few thousand kilometers, and they doing their job at almost any conditions. You can ride them from wide gravel roads to narrow forest paths. Good for everyday cross country ride, to all- mountain exploring for easy riders. From play rides to local marathons.

next time I will try with 2.3 on the front for better cornering( got softer compound)(and appearance)
the best rear all- purpose XC tire from geax
at wet condition I had to low the preasure to 37 psi at rear for not slipping at the wet roots and rocks

Kenda Nevegal 2.1 foldable, rigid, Continental Vertical 2.1 foldable, Explorer 2.1 foldable, Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 foldable,

[Oct 07, 2010]
Scale86

OVERALL
Strength:

fast rolling, good grip on wet conditions

heavier than Schwalbe's Rocket Rons

In spring and summer I rode the Rocket Ron and partly Racing Ralph in the rear. Rocket Ron is an excellent and light tire for dry - damp conditions. Racing Ralph only for dry conditions... So for fall and winter, I was looking for a tire, that fits better to wet/muddy conditions and found the Barro Mountain. I ordered them in 2.1 and ride them with 35psi. It is probably not the best tire in the world, but I am sold on it! Even if it rains or the terrain I'm riding on is still wet it works excellent!! Cornering on wet gravel feels saver than on the RoRo in dry. On wet loam or soil you feel saver, too. The tire has two mounting directions: speed and traction. I ride in traction mode on front and speed on rear - and it works! I would recommend it to everone, who looks for a good tire for the wet time of the year.
The only thing, that is negative is the fact that it weights nearly 100 grams more than the RoRo - BUUUT it feels as if it would even have less rolling resistance. So in the end the plus of weight is not a minus of speed! Don't know how YOU think about it, but I think in winter, when no competition is made traction is much more important than speed or time.

Schwalbe's Rocket Ron / Racing Ralph / Nobby Nic

[Oct 05, 2010]
gvs_nz

Strength:

Will not corner as well as tires with larger edge treads in the loose. 2.3 is small volume but makes up for it in casing design comfort.

2.3 is cushy and fast tire. Surprisingly good cornering for tread size. Good soft compound for wet tree roots and clay. Wears well for a soft compound.
Only loses out in loose dry conditions, but will drift controllably.Enough there to work in wet muddy conditions. Doesn't shed mud as good as the best. Very dependable braking on wet clay.
Make a good budget marathon tire.

Captains,Eskars,Ardents,Nobby Nics,Racing Ralphs, plus many more.

[Jan 13, 2010]
alberto_uy

OVERALL
Strength:

Excelente adherencia en ripio y terrenos con piedras sueltas.
Excelente frenado.

Una cubierta muy recomendable, ofrece muy buen agarre. Confortable para rodar en ripio y en ruta (poco ruidosa).

KENDA Navegal

[Aug 26, 2009]
Krezyle

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, Design, Good all around tire, Good grip when used on intermediate terrain, Almost zero rolling Resistance, Solid side walls, Good puncture resistance.

Prone to wash outs, Very balloon like shape, Not as big as a 2.3 kenda (more like a 2.1/2.2), Reduction in pressure provides better traction but greatly reduces rolling ability.

These are very good all mountain tires... They might be some of the best I've ever used actually. I was pretty surprised on how good they did for the amount of tread. They're essentially almost bald except for some knobs strategically placed on the tires. I used them for single track intermediate stuff and they performed pretty well... some drops, but nothing too intense. Also used in rock gardens around central PA. They hold up well against pretty sharp rocks and still don't show any signs of cuts or tears.

The problem with these tires and the reason for 4 chilis is that they like to wash out on loose pack, sandy stuff and and they slide off rocks pretty easily. This is slightly remedied by a decrease in pressure...(running them at about 35) but then they lose some of there speed. I guess I'm just picky about it, but you do really have to get used to them on some of the above mentioned stuff or you'll end up wiping out. Once I overcame the learning curve I was very pleased with the tires overall. I would recommend them to anyone looking for single track speed and even all mountain stuff. Just make sure you don't run into too much loose gravel or sand...

Kenda Bluegrooves (but there not necessarily all mountain)

[Aug 21, 2009]
Geerhard

OVERALL
Strength:

Really good allrounder

Not the best tire in mud
A bit heavy

it is as good as the schwalbe Jimmy but a bit heavy
I recommence it for who's looking for a tire that is fast ant has good grip, it has good performance and durability

schwalbe nobby nic, Schwalbe Jimmy

[Jun 07, 2009]
Randall XC

OVERALL
Strength:

weight, traction ascending and on corners, durability, price

This is for the TNT verson: Rockin tires for general XC racing and riding. I have the 2.3 up front and the 2.1 in the rear. Tires hook up on steep climbs and hold tight on fast corners. Rode with them for about a year in the AZ desert and have been riding with them for about a year in So Cal. They work well in both environments. I think the tires are a little smaller than they say so I will probably just order another 2.3 for the rear. Great all mountain tire or for racing.

conti vapor, conti vertical, bontrager (the worst tubeless tires ever made), maxxis ignitor/larsen

[Jun 07, 2008]
bingobong

OVERALL
Strength:

Light for tubeless (mine weighed in at 680g and 700g for the 2.3). Nice tight fit and tough bead. Rolls quite fast, grip is good allround in dry and slightly damp conditions.

Surprisingly blocks up with mud despite the open tread design. Grip significantly compromised in wet and muddy conditions. Bit small for a 2.3 - similar in size to my Kenda Nevegal 2.1

I only use it as a rear tyre and grip is pretty good in dry/damp conditions and it rolls quite fast. Muddy conditions are a weakness as the tyre blocks up and grip is significantly compromised, particularly on wet/greasy off camber roots and rocks you have to hit them dead square or else the tyre will slide (although most tyres are the same except for the tyres with the sticky compound 50 durometer rubber but they roll very slow). Another thing to note is that the 2.3 blows up a bit small - it is about the same size as my Kenda Nevegal UST 2.1 and Specialized Enduro Pro 2.2, just slightly bigger than Crossmark LUST 2.1 and slightly smaller than Schwalbe Albert 2.25 UST. You are supposed to use sealant but I managed to air these up with a floor pump on Mavic Crosstrails with just some soapy water and they held air fine without the sealant. I ended up putting in one scoop of Stans just in case I still don't lose any air.

Overall a great allrounder that rolls fast and grips pretty good in 90% of conditions (i.e. except mud and wet off camber roots and rocks).

[Nov 27, 2006]
danK

OVERALL
Strength:

Great customer support (bikemine.com), durable, lightweight, superb traction and very good mud shedding. Very predictable when traction finally breaks free. TNT (more on that later).

Difficult to find locally so I had to mailorder.

I got the TNT (tube no tube) version and these tires were well worth the "hassle" of finding. I got the 2.3 front with its stickier durometer and the 2.1 rear in the normal rubber spec. The tires were purchased for wetter fall/winter riding; I don't do full on mud riding (Geax, owned by Vittoria, makes a 1.7 mud tire).

They clear mud quickly anyway yet adhere to once-hardpack-sand-covered trails with confidence. I have the front at 26psi and the rear at 33 psi (I'm 165 pounds on a 5.5" dualie) and do not use tubes: TNT is made of a butyl inner sidewall to prevent air loss and it makes for a sturdier sidewall for less flex at lower psi. I used my homebrew tubeless of 1 TBSP liquid latex/1 TBSP Slim/2 TBSP Windex, and the tires sealed up with no problem. The folding bead is the toughest tire I've experienced in recent memory but they will not be folding/rolling off the rim in a blow, that's for sure!

Tire weight is around 675 grams for the 2.3 and 610 grams for the 2.1 in the TNT version. The non TNT tire weighs about 80 grams less. Without going into weights of ust vs blah blah, I now have a very durable, stiff and real-world tubeless tire that is lightweight and grabs traction for my riding style and terrain. Works just as good as anything for trailriding and xc racing. They just don't the marketing and hype which is good. I plan to stock up on the Barro Mountain and snag some of their dry tires called the Saguaro in a 2.2 (they are a nice size tire and not undersized like Continentals).

The price is good, too. Expect to pay $28 to $36 each.

Oh, what happens if you use a butyl tube? It makes the already sturdy sidewall even more impressive. I really can't find fault with these tires (and neither can the likes of Dirt Rag who gave it a serious 5 star rating).

Everything but Schwalbes.

[Mar 16, 2008]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, FAST, TNT version seals well, Stable Cornering, Open Design

Hard to mount

I spent forever reading reviews on tires and just happened to remember that one of my buddies was riding some geax. I checked on their site and I wanted a tire that was good all around and still lightweight. I read some reviews on the Barro Mountain and they looked nice, so I pulled the trigger. I could be be happier. I have the TNT version using Stan's. I mounted them up (pretty tight bead), and the tires held air without the sealant, but I used just a little to prevent flats. They roll like the super light almost smooth MT. Bike tires, but have larger knobs so they hook well on more than just fire roads. If you are looking for a good all around XC tire this is a great choice.

WTB Motoraptor, Maxxis Ignitor, Kenda's

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.