Geax Aka Tire

The AKA was designedTo dominate in situations whereThe knob must penetrateThe ground without digging, and offer exceptional grip without slowingThe wheel down. Even adverseTerrains like gravel, sand, and grass aren’t a match forThis directional, well spaced, small blocked pattern. Gato-derived side knobs round outThe profile, providing predictable cornering even when conditions get moist. It’sThe choice of pro slopestyle rider Cam Zink, not because it’s a do-it-allTyre...becaus

[May 26, 2015]
shekky

OVERALL
Strength:

very good traction when new

nice side knobs

durability--center knobs wore away quickly

i put this tire on the rear of my pine mountain 29er hardtail on april 24, 2015. it's the 29 x .20 version. i've put 364 miles on this tire and the small knobs down the center of the tire are almost completely worn away. that's about 15 twenty five mile rides.

the tire climbs well even on some of the steepest, most loose terrain my local riding areas have to offer. even though the small centerline knobs have worn away, slippage on steep, loose climbs is minimal. descending and cornering performance is acceptable as well but this tire does not inspire the confidence of a tire with larger, more aggressive knobs.

all in all, i'm barely satisfied with this tire, mostly based on its durability. but then again, i was able to get it for only ten bucks via the strava challenge so i won't complain too much. had i paid more than thirty dollars for this tire that might be another storey...

panaracer comet
panaracer soar
continental race king

[Dec 27, 2014]
ernie

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, low resistance tire. Its perfect for the rear tire but I use the 27.5 on the front of one of my bikes and its not bad. Solid for hard pack or summer time anywhere it doesnt rain much. Its not good in muddy situations.

Flexy when cornering hard.

This is a hard pack tire. Designed like the Kenda Small Block or Slant 6 to make you go as fast as possible. Longevity is for trail riders that do rides on weekends. This tire is great for XC racers or anyone that loves bike riding and could care less how long a tire lasts.

[Mar 11, 2014]
James

OVERALL
Strength:

I'm running these tires in speed direction on front and rear. They are fast and corner great. I was running Fast Traks on the rear and would always spin out when climbing while standing. I don't have that problem anymore.

They are a little heavy.

Overall these tires perform exceptional. I don't know what these other people are talking about. They are definitely better than the Fast Tracks and ground control that I was using before.

Specialized Ground control, fast trak, Kendra Maxxis

[Jan 05, 2014]
col

OVERALL
Strength:

none that i can think of

terrible for climbing as lets go at the slightest sign of anything "loose" and shocking at cominbg down the hills if youve managed to ride up them on these as they "squirm" around all over the show

worst tyres ive ever put on my bike, only a few rides old and im going out to the garage soon to pt my old maxxix high rollers back on. theyre worn to buggery but i reckon they still provide more grip than these terrible things

[Dec 27, 2013]
Michael

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast rolling

very little grip, the tiny nobs flex around under you and i makes you feel like you have less control, not good for climbing or braking. wore out in 3 weeks

I race xc this tire let me down, it's good on riding dirt roads and that's it. it lets go on the corners and slips on climbs

[Nov 18, 2013]
poynerc

OVERALL
Strength:

Good performance on un-paved trails.

Very poor traction on damp asphalt

My only reason for posting this review is to draw attention to the fact that these tires have awful traction on damp or wet asphalt.
This weekend I had my second major wipe out due to lost traction on the rear tire under moderate braking downhill on damp asphalt.
I should have researched more before buying them because in all fairness the Geax website only gives them one start for performance in the wet.
I'm going to swap them out for something that is a better compromise (suggestions are welcome).

[Aug 10, 2013]
J-Bone

OVERALL
Strength:

roll. On flat terrain-no problem-pretty fast tire

stopping, cornering, turning, using.

Sorry, I see some people love them but I am no fan. I ride single track in SE Michigan. Some climbs and descends going over sand, gravel, hard pack, roots, rocks you know the routine.
These tires corner poorly and stop poorly in the above conditions. Pretty bad in wet conditions too.
I have been riding mountain bikes for over 20 years-bmx for 15 before that. I am not super fast but I am pretty good on a bike in the trails and these tires are pretty bad.

Now if you ride rail trails and pavement then these are going to be great tires

[Aug 02, 2013]
Cleared2land

OVERALL
Strength:

Texas summers can be dry and dusty with little or no moisture on the trails and I picked these up as something that would hopefully provide a better ride on loose dry stuff. For that reason alone, they seem to perform as intended, but push them and you’ll find they have their limits. They seem to transition to moist and damp with unenthusiastic results. When pushed in the dry, loose stuff, they demonstrate predictable drift and slide, but give them roots and rocks and the results become less than desirable.

Damp or wet conditions are NOT for these tires! Add some dampness or even slightly wet and they get unstable and can provide some adrenaline inducing moments. Personally, any application beyond the dry loose stuff exhibits unfavorable mannerisms that do not inspire confidence. On anything wet they will provoke adrenaline spikes and fear. Quick to find your butt on the ground will be the unexpected outcome.

Once notable tip is I found these to be a little better under hard cornering with a slightly higher tire pressure than I normally run. These are not the TNT casing that I’m writing about here. They are a bit more robust than the straight AKA’s I’m referring to here. Under 23 lbs. of pressure these tires had a propensity to roll the tire which yielded disagreeable handling that I can do without. Obviously, higher pressures eliminated this.

Some have stated they do well on dry concrete, but my observations don’t agree. On dry concrete their limits are easily exceeded. They will break loose prematurely regardless of tire pressure. To be fair though, the induced drift remains fluid, predictable, and controllable. However, these are simply my opinions and others will possibly find these traits to be attributes. Two wheel drifts on hard pack or concrete is simply not a desirable characteristic for me personally.

BOTTOM LINE: On dry loose trail, these seem to do the job. You might be able to find another tire that has more favorable characteristics on mixed terrain. They are predictable, but just not the tire I feel inspired to push hard.

[May 15, 2013]
kevinrod1983

OVERALL
Strength:

These give outstanding traction. If you can't ride then you'll complain... Period.

Heavier then my pythons but lighter then my xkings protection carcass.

Can't say anything really wrong, they work... If you want a lighter tire, get them without TNT. They still ride tubeless well.

[Aug 11, 2012]
ghettocop

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast Fast Fast

Weight, Volume

Really like this tire! I am used to Conti Race King, and Kenda Slant Six. Made the switch to Tubeless and wanted a combatible tire, so this review is for the TNT version of the AKA. This tire is the faster of the three by a noticable margin. I thought race kings were fast.....the Geax is faster. The front tire tracks really well and holds a line with little steering input. Cornering is very good and predictable. Very similiar to the Race King in that it is hard to break it loose in hard leaning cornering, and when it does start to break loose it is predictable and drifty. The slant six would sometimes break loose without warning. The sidewalls are super stiff and strong which may account for weight, and lower pressures are required to mold to terrain. Acceleration traction is great, while the rear will skid under heavy braking, so a lighter technique is required.
The negatives. Volume is small for a 2.2. Looks and feels like a 2.0. Not sure if it will loosen up over time or not.
Almost impossible to mount on a Stans Rim. Once on though, it sealed up easily and feels very secure. If the bead does not stretch, I'm not sure if I will be able to get it off.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.