Continental Trail King Tire

Best Price At

Uses Continental's Black Chili compound TireType: Clincher Tire Diameter: 26" ISO Width: 54 mm ISO Diameter: 559 / 26" mtn Tire Bead: Folding PSI: 45 - 58 PSI Weight: 650.0 g

[Jan 02, 2018]
Felix Hernandez

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap

The side wall are really bad

The worst tyre that I ever have. This tires are garbage, just after a few days in a small jump, the rear tyre is deformed, a the next day I made an small jump and the front tyre is deformed too, I almost lose a finger product by the fall. Is not just lose your money, It can be very dangerous too.

[Jan 09, 2016]
kyle

OVERALL
Strength:

It has tread and knobs, so yeah, it hooks up and stops you, digs into dirt...kind of expected.

I haven't tried on the front(which is where it may go if I don't just cut it to pieces). On the rear---SLOW!! SLOW!!! SLOOOWWW!! I actually checked to make sure my brake wasn't dragging.
In turns this thing just lays flat, like it just pushes against my weight change

I bought this against my better judgment while on a road trip to an out of town trail and my rear tire(Advent) was nearly bald. And another tire I purchased would not get on my rim no matter what I did, so last ditch stopped by a shop and they had the Trail King 27.5, 2.4----70 F'ing dollars!! I wasn't pleased but I knew the trails would have some slick areas so I felt I needed a tire so I wouldn't be sliding out and risk injury on rocks and chunky root sections.
This went on my beloved Transition Scout---a bike that is beyond playful, fast, fun...my favorite bike ever.
At first I didn't have much thought on the tire...went through a trail section with loads of technical areas and pinch climbs, so speed isn't a big concern, more just keeping traction and upright.
As soon as I got into straight away flats i noticed how tired my legs felt and my heart was pounding!
It finally came to me that maybe this new tire is a sloggy beast! It's freakin' huge! It looks like a 27.5 plus tire...really tall profile. I worked my guts out trying to get speed on this thing, then anytime I'd try and hop a root section, flick a turn..almost anything the Scout just felt DEAD!! This tire sucked all the fun out of riding my bike!
In turns it just laid there...flat and dull, straights it dropped an anchor. I didn't slip on anything so there's that, but that's not enough---I hate this tire!! Oh, and it also rubs the rear triangle in hard turns. Damn you!!
I'm sure on more predominant downhill rides this works much better, or on the front may be good(I'm a bit worried about how much the front end will rise with it), but if you're pedaling with it on the rear...get ready for a workout to get any speed!
I give mid chillies as I'm trying to be fair since i have no idea of durability and my use was very limited, but for what i know of it i have zero interest in keeping it, but i will since I paid so damn much and no one will give me anything near that amount since it's online for $40..
This review is mainly an outlet for me to yell and whine since my riding buddy heard enough and I'm sitting in my house looking at this money suck sitting on my bike, and the anger festers!

LOADS of tires...many, many, many tires

[Aug 03, 2015]
dumblond

OVERALL
Strength:

the tread on the 2.4 works well for the riding in NJ and it seems to be fairly durable

sidewalls, just atrocious,
tire is about 4 months old, running tubeless with over 30 psi and the sidewalls are just fuzzy cords that look like they'll let go soon, the tire lately hasn't been able to survive a mild ride without leaking after maybe hitting an off camber rock/root/marshmallow, holds air fine for about half the ride then it's a count down to refilling tire.....(plenty of fresh stan's in there and no signs of leaking when soaked in soapy water)......i remember this tire had the marketing fluff "Protection" written on sidewall, that text and all the rest of it is long gone as sidewall cords are all that's left

continental customer service, non existent
i've tried on three occasions over two weeks to contact them officially thru their site, nothing, zip, nada

i'm voting with my $'s and flaming chilis

suck it continental, you don't get anymore $'s, you already got me for about $60 and won't even reply to my emails, wish zero chili's for value was an option

regretfully, i've come to learn from other NJ riders that they also had sidewall issues with these tires.....riders are throwing out tires with lots of tread because of toasted sidewalls

[Jul 08, 2015]
targnik

OVERALL
Strength:

*Very good for almost all trail conditions (full on mud? Get a mud tire)
*Great traction
*Fast rolling (NB, front application)
*Durability - having ridden several hundred km's on various trail types, my TK 2.4 Protection [650b] tire still looks like it did post it's maiden voyage.

If the MK 2.4 Protection is as durable, I wouldn't need to purchase new tires for several seasons!!

Weight - static... not really noticeable out on the trails (front application)

If the TK (& MK) last as long as I think they will/would... you'd only need to purchase new tires every 3 years or so!

That is great value for money!!

(Used for more like 8 - 10 months)

[May 11, 2015]
Rich

OVERALL
Strength:

Traction

Pinch flats and overall weight

Should be called Pinch Flat King!
Put the trail King on as a front tire only. (32 llbs with tube) My first impression was, it's a bit heavy, but it is a 2.4 (26er) so I'll deal with that. and it does have really good traction...but
Ride 1: Pinch flat after about 20 minutes
Ride 2: Pinch flat after about 30 minutes. This sucks, I'm done with this tire.

Maybe this tire only works tubeless, therefore I'll give it 2 stars

[Feb 09, 2015]
Vassago6

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent grip and control. Low rolling resistance. Looks great on your rig.

Can be difficult to set the bead.

Initial impressions; Conti TK's; protection, black chili, tubeless 2.4F/2.2R @ 40- 45 psi.
Mounting- went on fine but could not get the bead to set without having to employ the compressor. On the wheels, these look fantastic.
Only having these a week I've been able to log 18 asphalt miles and 84 trail miles. Central Texas (Austin / San Antonio)
On the paved surface, mixed concrete and blacktop, these tires roll smooth and easy, very low rolling resistance. A huge surprise for such a beefy case. Was able to maintain a steady cadence over extended periods, average 16.6 mph.
On the trail, All hail the King!!! Our trails are made up of a mix; hardpack, twisty single track, rocky creek beds, loose gravel banks, some muddy washes, root laden slopes and good powdery dirt. Short burst hill climbs and the always loved rocky drop ins. These tires roll fast and inspire confidence. They have pushed me to try and find more treacherous lines. Grip excellent through the twisties, handle the off-camber hillside lines, even the mud holes left by recent rains- these tires stuck to the off-camber, slippery bank with confidence. In fact, all of the varied terrain encountered proved no problem. It may be early and only time will provide the final verdict but WOW, These rock! In 3 months I'll follow up with an additional review. Hope that my opinion is the same as today. Danka Conti!!!!
Trails hit since installed: Barton creek greenway (Austin), Leon creek/ OP Schnabel and McAllister parks (San Antonio)

Kenda Nevegal, Kenda Excavators

[Jan 22, 2015]
Kostas

OVERALL
Strength:

Very good traction and grip at most surfaces and conditions.
Can go easily at low pressures (I tried up to 35psi) with no any puncture problems in heavy Greek rock terrain.
Very low weight for the class and dimension.
Very good grip information.
Good braking in most conditions.
Very good in mud as an allrounder.

Not the best for wet loose gravel (but not bad)
Not the best for loose round stones.
Braking on loose gravel with leaves is not great.

I tested the Conti trail king Chili comp. Protection 2,2" in a KTM Prowler AT3 as a rear tyre.The tyre was that was I expected to be. In MOST conditions is a great tyre. It is not the best tyre in wet gravel and in braking over loose gravel with leaves but it is over average in these conditions.

[Dec 19, 2014]
MTBKR

OVERALL
Strength:

good traction on most surfaces. good traction to rolling resistance ratio

Side wall is week. I damaged two within 3 month with very low miles on them. I got no response to emails sent to customer service. hard to seal as tubeless on UST rims

I used the mountain king on the back and trail kings on the front. the mountain kings have been ok. but the trail kings both had side wall issues. one got a tear inside the rim, the other bulged so bad it was rubbing on the frame. I sent two emails to their us customer service in US (highwaytwo) asking for a replacement but have not heard back at all.

trail kings, Minions, Hans Damf

[Nov 06, 2014]
dirtrider76

OVERALL
Strength:

Grip, volume, wear

The sidewalls tear easy!

I really like these tires in the 26x2.4 size. Great grip, tons of volume, wears well and even hooks up on our wet rock well. Sadly I killed 2 this year, the first I thought it was a fluke. Ripping through a turns and clipped a rock just right. The last one still had the nubs on it when the sidewall tore out! These are the only tires I've ever cut the sidewall open on and once their cut you realize how thin they are.

Clutch control, Weirwolf, HR2

[Oct 13, 2014]
Dirk Ross

OVERALL
Strength:

Great tire for SoCal trails.

None so far except it's a little tight for mounting on my rims.

I used Vertical Pros for years and really liked them. I was bummed out when they were discontinued but have used Trail Kings for a few years now and they are great for the trails I ride here in SoCal. Before I went tubeless I could run fairly low tire pressure on these - 30 front, 35 rear with getting pinch flats. I use the 2.2s for both of my bike but may check out a 2.4 for the front next time I buy tires.

• Available At

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.