Continental Survival Pro Tire

Designed for superior traction in the most demanding conditions. The Survival Pro features the "Endless Edge" tread design in an aggressive open pattern that bites through every surface, with the exception of extreme hard pack or pavement. Also available as Survival Pro Tection.

• 57-559 (26 x 2,3) 700 grams 630 grams
  • 57-559 (26 x 2,3) Survival Pro Tection 710 grams 640 grams

• USER REVIEWS

[Jan 24, 2013]
    Tyler
    All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
    Strength:

So much grip. Climbs like a beast. I ride for about two-three months out of the year and have been using this tire for eight years now. It is durable and grippy, best of both worlds for a mtb tire. Haven't done much snow riding, but regularly take it on dirt, rock, pine needles, and leaves. This tire has been a beast. Use it on the rear and usually have it around 30-35psi. Also, in the eight years I have used this tire, I can't recall getting a flat.

The only weakness is roots. It will slide out on big roots. If the roots are wet, any size root will cause you to slide.

Grips nearly everything, durable, protects your inner tube, and can be run at low pressure to increase grip even more. A little bit of riding resistance but I would take grip over speed any day. This tire gives me confidence to ride anywhere. The only time I will be cautious is when I'm about to hit a root. I have gone over multiple 3-4' drops, climbed STEEP inclines, gone through tight switchbacks, and gone through sections where quick braking is essential. Incredible tire and excellent value (I paid $30).

[Feb 16, 2010]
    maclgallant

OVERALL
    Strength:

This tire shines in mud, snow, dirt, grass, very good traction// it really excels in soft to medium compounds
    self cleans in mud and snow

now i have hade these tires during winter (loads of snow and ice) and summer, the weakness of these tires that has not been mentioned by anyone else is there terrible on wet roots and wet rocks (rocks with flat surfaces), maintly the front tire , the rear is average on those condition
    i have found myself very often sliding the front tire out and landing on my ##### tire was defenetly ment for the back

DO NOT USE AS FRONT TIRE lol
    not ment for wet rocks or wet roots

intended for mud and medium to soft compounds
    it really shines in those condition

overall i am satisfied with tire and would buy again
    but i only put it on the rear after rainfalls and after snow melts to deal with mud and soft compound

cont edge, panaracer fire xc pro, cont explorer pro

[Jan 02, 2010]
    karfiol135

OVERALL
    Strength:

great grip in snow i cant imagine winter riding without this tire i use it both front and rear, this tire will take you anywhere in mud or snow, it corners well, traction is amazing and braking power too

doesnt like asphalt but its not supposed to do that...

go and buy this for winter riding!!!

conti vertical, conti gravity, maxxis larsen tt...

[Jul 31, 2008]
    MeanBlackBike

OVERALL
    Strength:

Outstanding, and I run it az a front tire cannot imagine how will work as rear :)

I tested it like rear tire as well but it is 2.3 and for rear it is difficult to ride fast in mud with is it just grips too much in the mud for rear tire.
    Well mine is Survival 2.3 Protection and punctures never happen i keep it on max pressure and still grips great.
    Why this tire is no longer in production ?? Conty might be going mad not to make it.
    It is light enough and in mud like front tire it slows just a little bit but grips great and on corners with high speed also.
    Go for it is great and price is good even for every day ride all the year.

Conty Edge Protection, Schwalbe Black Jack, Conty Survival Protection 2.3, Maxxis Ranchero/High Roller/ADvantage/Worm Drive/Overdrive

[Sep 01, 2003]
    Jimm

OVERALL
    Strength:

Traction; durability; work well in all conditions except VERRRRY hard pack and/or pavement; good resistance to punctures.

Weight; cost (I purchased mine at a "2Fer" sale...2 for the price of one); wear fast when used on pavement.

Excellent traction! I find them very predictable and functional. The whirrrring sound on the pavement should not be considered a "weakness"; hey, they were designed for dirt, rocks, ruts and roots -- not asphalt/concrete. That would be like saying "no traction at all in the mud" as a weakness for a road tire. Overall, they are one of my all time fav tires....moved past Tioga.

Tioga, Panaracer, WTB, Jones, etc. etc.

[Aug 09, 2007]
    Gorilla Nips

OVERALL
    Strength:

Grip, sticks to everything! Love it!

Seemed to slip a little in the hardpack uphill, but nothing to really to make me hate it.

These tires rock! I've got the 2.1's on the front and back, and it did a world of difference for me. I just swapped them out with the Roll-X because those felt really scary on the downhill. Felt like they were always going to slip out from under me and when going really fast the back tire felt like it was fishtailing. Not with these babies, I felt like I could give 'em hell and they'd stick with me the whole way. Love this tire, one of the better rides i've had because of them! And I've only done one ride, I bought them yesterday:)

Specialized Roll-X

[Apr 01, 2006]
    Tim Dudley

OVERALL
    Strength:

This is for the Kevlar bead 2.1" ..
    Light and very good grip. Very acceptable tread resistance for a tyre with big lugs. Last very well. Great on the back and quite good on the front.

I can't really complain other than the carcass is a bit thin. And also the width is slightly more akin to a 1.95" rather than a 2.1".

I have used this kevlar bead 2.1" for several years. It is better on the front than you would think but its main strength is on the back. Superb on mud, gravel and loose/soft conditions. But I think it is also very good on dry and hardpack. I note that some reviewers have shortcomings about the tyre's performance on hardpack but I have found no problems there. For me this is a good alround tyre, durable and reliable.

Endless.

[Jan 20, 2002]
    Sunshine

OVERALL
    Strength:

GREAT traction on all the knarly stuff. Sheds and grips mud like crazy. Good in the rocks, roots, loose stuff, ruts, etc...won't let ya down. Not too heavy, for the aggressiveness.

Barely fits my bike. However, thanks to it's great mus shedding capabilites I never get gummed up.

This tire rocks! Use it on the back wheel and she shouldn't let you down. I plan on throwing one on my Titus if it will fit.

IRC Mythos-YUCK! Panaracer Fire XC, WTB MOTORaptor

[Feb 07, 2003]
    nathan

OVERALL
    Strength:

great traction on roots. when the going gets slippy these tires hook up. they also perform well in the dry with as the sticky rubber keeps you locked to the trail. i took them out in snow for the first time last week and once again they did not let me down. contenetial's endless edge keeps the bike locked down in the turns. these tires are also bomb proof on rocky descents.i have been on them for six months and no flats. they also work well with stans no tube system. if you make these tires tubeless they only get better

the wide blocks do not bite through the leaves but thats the only weakness

if you live where their are roots and rocks and need maximum traction these tires are for you. contenential makes a great tire.

maxxis mobsters

[Jul 01, 2002]
    Jeff

OVERALL
    Strength:

Amazing traction and stability. Far beyond anything else I've used, front or rear. Not too heavy for it's size and traction it provides.

Pretty high rolling resistance.

This tire has amazed me. I ran it on the rear over this past winter, and it's ability to hook up in almost ANYTHING never ceases to amaze me. Sections where my Fire XC's or velociraptors would barely hook up in the best of conditions were easily cleared in some of the worst conditions with this tire in the rear. Loose, leaf-covered, soft, muddy, whatever, this thing was incredible! It does have a high rolling resistance, which you really notice in better conditions. On pavement (who cares?) or smooth hardpack it feels like you are sitting on a vibrator. I've switched back to a Fire XC in the rear now that it is drier out, because it rolls alot better, and on the rear it makes a difference. I think I will use this tire mostly when it is leafy, and/or wet out, such as fall, winter, and wet springs (In other words, when things get too sloppy for the Fire XC).

Last week, I decided to try it out on the front. I had been using a Vertical Protection, and while it rules on clean surfaces (including rocky) it kept washing out on me in turns that were even slightly loose. I was getting into more wrecks due to loosing my front end than ever before. I stuck the Survival Pro on the front and I am once again amazed by this tire. I can corner HARD on almost anything. The braking it very stable. The rolling resistance in not nearly as big an issue on the front as on the rear. I don't notice it slowing me down, because most of my weight is in the rear except braking and turning, and then the traction is incredible. I think the only time I would not use this tire would be if I knew I was going to be riding mostly clean harpack. But for everywhere I usually ride, which has a variety of conditions, (northern NJ and the Blue Ridge Mountains in VA) this tire will remain on the front year-round. If a ride was going to include alot of road miles, or was going to be all clean hardpack/rock (which does not exist around here) I would go with the Vert pro.

An excelent tire, worth every penny.

Front: Specialized Team Control Team Ed 2.0, Conti Vert Protection, Fire XC 2.1, Velociraptor

Rear: Fire XC 2.1 & 1.8, Velociraptor,

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.