Continental Race King ProTection Tire

Best Price At
Available At

The Continental Race King Black Chili Protection Tire is the best choice for those looking for pure speed along with thorn battling durability. The key ingredient is the ProTection layer -- a fourth ply of rubber-wrapped, extra tough nylon casing that encompasses the entire tire.While the tire can withstand prickly thorns, babyheads, and sharp edges better than most, its rolled shoulder profile and diamond-head arrow center tread pattern is primarily designed for superb power transfer while maintaining a very low profile so that it rolls exceptionally fast. Luckily, Continental also incorporates transitional knobs from the center to the shoulder of the tire, so that when you're making quick weight transfers, from cornering to straight-ahead power and back again, the tire remains stable and secure beneath you. The shoulder knobs are low-profile, like the rest of the tread. Along the outer edge the pattern is doubled, with a ramped leading edge followed by a block tread -- the ramps roll quickly, but the block bites into the dirt for better traction.Here's the caveat about different types of mud: The tread pattern is fairly tight and if your home turf features stickier mud rather than the soupy variety (clay, perhaps?), a tire with a more open pattern, like Continental's X-King, would shed the slop more quickly. Or for a good pairing for most racing conditions, choose the X-King on the nose, for tauter steering control, and the Race King on the tail, for quicker acceleration and faster rolling.The Race King Protection Tire also incorporates Continental's exclusive Black Chili Compound, tiny fragments of embedded carbon that improve grip by allowing faster rubber deformation, so you get a sensation of the tire clinging through corners rather than suddenly breaking loose. The Continental Race King Black Chili Protection Tire is a 26" tire and comes in a 2.2" width. The casing features 4 plies totaling 240 TPI under the tread and sidewalls. The tire bead is foldable, and it comes in black on black. Application: XC Race / TrailGround: Loose, Hard, Mud

[Oct 12, 2018]
SpinM

OVERALL
Strength:

My configuration is: Conti X-King 26 x 2,2 ProTection as a front tyre Conti Race King 26 x 2,2 ProTection as a rear tyre Though my last two biking seasons were quite poor and I cannot really say much about wear of any of these tyres, I can still claim that I am quite satisfied with grip and a little more than just quite satisfied with roll characteristics of Race King. It's a fast tyre. It also looks good on my bike.

Compared to my previous Racing Ralphs, which were still in UST version, Race Kings are a bit heavy, but my biggest complaint is their (in)ability to hold air. Even with Conti's recomended sealing liquid it was quite a challenge to set them up for a ride and I have never been able to make them hold enough air pressure for a ride for more than say 2 days. In effect I have to deal with two flat tyres before every ride, always concerned of the sealing liquid condition and asking myself how much time I dare spend on a ride.

Price Paid:
2017
[Jan 15, 2014]
InWyo

OVERALL
Strength:

Roll Fast
Confident handling for an X-C tire
Fairly durable

They took a long time to set up tubeless

They shed mud well (for an X-C race tire), they are confident in twisty terrain (for an X-C race tire), they roll fast, they grip well on most terrain (for an X-C race tire). From a performance stand-point, these are my favorite ever X-C Race Tires.

I was under the impression that these are recommended for tubeless setup, but they weren't very strong in this category. My LBS (whom I trust), set them up for me on sun Ringle Black Flag Pro SLs and added extra sealant because they noticed air leaking out. They leaked overnight to the point where the rim was resting on the floor for several weeks (over which I was riding 4-5 times a week). They didn't seem to fully seal until the weather got colder (about 2 months). I still periodically need to air them up (every 2 weeks or so), but that's not much of a surprise for any tires with or without tubes.

Kenda SB8
S-Works Renegade

[Oct 03, 2013]
Aussie Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

good tread and grip

can't hold air very well, problems with micro leaks on the sidewall

I put these tires on and thought awesome with my first ride back from the bike shop, I left the bike over night and found the tires flat and had micro bubbles of sealant on the side of the tire, I wouldn't recommend these tires as tubeless, you're better of going with the Taiwanese made UST tubeless tires as I got a good run out of them with no probs

[Feb 19, 2013]
Jon

OVERALL
Strength:

Thick sidewall, good grip over hardpack and on rocks. Very fast rolling. Relatively light for how tough the sidewall is. Large volume in respect to it's width... very balloon like... great choice for hardtail or rigid.

Soft terrain is where this tire struggles.

This tire is a great tire for what it's designed for... XC racing... very fast rolling, light. The largest benefit it has is it's volume in respect to how wide it is. It's a 2.1 but it has the volume of a 2.3+. Great rear tire, for running @ low pressure.

Sidewall is good and strong... was a bit of a trick to get the bead to seal (tubeless/Stans, on Stan's Crest Rims). But once it did seal up it hasn't lost any air. Run a bit lower than normal because the sidewalls are so stiff.

WIll probably buy another once this one wears out.

Geax: AKA, Saguaro, Barro Race. Specialized: The Captain, Renegade. Michelin: WIld Racer New and old design.

[Dec 24, 2012]
Bill

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast rolling tire. No problem climbing or desending hills. Goes where you point it. If you keep pressure at 25 psi is smooth over Az. type terrain.

Will not hold air

Tire came on new bike with tubes in it. Phoenix area is pinch flat central with tubes. LBS and bike manufacturer advised I could run tire as tubeless with Stans. After one ride it lost 15pds of air over night. Checked with soapy water and found small hole in side wall. Really liked tire once I realized I had to lower air pressure..

• Available At