Continental Mountain King II ProTection Tire

Continental?s Mountain King ProTection reigns over wet and dry trails alike thanks to its open lug pattern. This, combined with its large volume and...

[Jul 11, 2018]
Jetta2010

OVERALL
Strength:

The grip is average to good

I got the 27.5x.2. on my wtb st i23 tcs rims, this was a royal b!tch to mount. had to use two tire levers and a butter knife and still had to wrestle it on. used stans sealant. My biggest complaint is that it never would hold air for 24 hrs. brand new mounted up it would hold air for several hrs. after less than 3/4 of a season it leaked air through the sidewalls uniformly. would only hold air less than 1 1/2 hrs. through another 2 oz of stans in and hopefully it holds long enough to find a replacement.

Price Paid:
2017
[Jan 20, 2017]
Juan5010

OVERALL
Strength:

fast rolling, good grip and light

Not good on dry conditions

I have used this tire for 1000 km and happy so far, its durability seems to be good. I ride the version 2.4 on muddy - wet trails. I never got a puncture. I like the predictable behavior of the tire. It is ok on loose and muddy terrains but a bit unpredictable on rooty surfaces (maybe the compound it not soft enough).

I would not recommend it for dry loose conditions, this tire needs a bit of "softness" in the ground for optimal grip.

Good for wet continental conditions, but not good for the sunny places where it never rains.

Continental Trail King

[Apr 27, 2015]
k2rider1964

OVERALL
Strength:

Traction

Even with the ProTection sidewalls, I was able to cut one right at the bead rim. I guess I was running a lil' too much air.

I had these in the 2.4 on my Pivot Mach 6 and they have been rockstars on traction for me. I've been very happy with their performance and will (already have) bought another. FWIW, I love in SoCal and ride all over the Western US. I have been using this as a rear tire.

[Jan 28, 2015]
Seth Botwick

OVERALL
Strength:

Decent grip and traction.

Durability

I used to swear by the Conti road tires. Bulletproof! I wanted a go-to tire for mtb so naturally I looked to Conti. Unfortunately, I looked in the wrong direction. During the tire's inaugural ride I hit a few gap jumps. After landing I thought I had bent my rim. Upon further investigation I found that the tire had broken somehow. They went out of true. Nothing I could do. Tire's ruined. I reached out to Conti and never received an answer.

Maxxis. Specialized.

[Sep 07, 2014]
brickwallmusic

OVERALL
Strength:

Great traction on rocks and roots
Never had any problems with leaks or sidewall issues

A little lacking in turning traction

Really good tire, great for doing a mix of AM and XC like its advertised. I find for mountain bike races in Saskatchewan, Canada they work great in all conditions. But I recently moved to Kelowna where the soil is a little different and I noticed a lot more slipping when going around corners when the ground is a little wet. They still work great in all other situations.

Kenda Nevegals
Continental Race King II protection

[Aug 23, 2014]
Rider8

OVERALL
Strength:

Traction is great. Tire wears well.

Sidewalls are too weak. Too heavy to race.

This review is for the 29er version of the tire setup tubeless. I love this tire. Great traction. Side knobs provide great cornering. Very predictable tire. It also wears well IMHO (I am 170#). However, this tire has a critical deficiency which is the sidewalls. Colorado front range trails are very rocky. Sidewall scuffs from riding rocky trails are a significant problem especially on the rear tire. Sidewall scuffs leak air badly. It is as if Continental put the air holding barrier on the outside of the sidewall of the tire as opposed to the inside. I keep having to add sealant to the tire to plug up the air leaking from the sidewall scuffs. If it weren't for this problem this would be the perfect all mountain tire. The search continues.

[Feb 09, 2014]
Thomas

OVERALL
Strength:

Grips like a monkey swinging from limb to limb. They are handmade in Germany. Most can't even say they are made anywhere in Europe.

Mounting the tire. Since they are UST they should be used as so. But they are difficult to mount in the beginning.

Yes, there are awesome tires. I like the fact they are quality, German made tires. Knobbies are excellent for climbs when you need them the most. Here is a bonus- they are tall. So you get a semi-29er tire. Yes, I said that. I have noticed a difference in tire travel on the high volume tires. Additionally they are a eye appealing tire. Sometimes (I'm completely sane by the way) I just enjoy looking at them- dirty or clean. One last note. The weakness is mounting the tire. If you run them UST you will pull your hair out trying to mount them- don't. Run then with tubes for a month to allow them to comply with the rim, then pull out your tube. Use an air compressor to seat the bead. Done. Excellent tire. Hope this helps.

Continental Trail King

[Feb 08, 2014]
Mark Pearson

OVERALL
Strength:

Tough, fairly light, good grip

None yet.

Previously rode Trail Kings 2.4 UST and wanted to go to something lighter and slightly smaller so I switched to the Mtn King II 2.4 Protection. I didn't think I would notice the change in weight very much but it was really noticeable. I'm using Orange seal and it works great. I just wished it wouldn't dry out in 2 months. These tires have a little less grip on roots than the Trail Kings but not by much. I run about 25 PSI front and rear and rocks and those sharp little sapling stumps are no problem.I am very happy with my choice.

[Dec 13, 2012]
c-dale99

OVERALL
Strength:

light, low rolling resistance

no side grip, and the new protection is so plasticy, it splits w/out notice!

Use this as a ft tire for about 4 months. Not happy. No side grip, washes out easy, and it finally split along the sidewall w/out notice or any trauma to it whatsoever. Continental has gone downhill fast and I'm now dedicating a new brand to my tires...I've had way too many split and no reply from continental.

all contintental tires

[Dec 05, 2012]
Fred

OVERALL
Strength:

Braking grip, overall traction,

None found yet

I have had these for about 3 months now and have ridden them in all conditions from pouring rain on Georgia clay to bone dry sugar sand in Florida. The only condition that they did not hookup in was sugar sand. The guys I ride with will leave me behind on the climbs but that is not because of the tires. Downhill and straight line are more controlled than on any other tire I have ever ridden. I would highly recommend these tires. They are a bit pricey but they are worth it so far.

WTB Mutano 2.4, Panaracer Rampage, Kenda Nevegal