Continental Mountain King II ProTection Tire

Available At

Continental?s Mountain King ProTection reigns over wet and dry trails alike thanks to its open lug pattern. This, combined with its large volume and...

[Apr 17, 2020]
Stuker

OVERALL
Strength:

OK rolling resistance, robust. These came on my new FS 29er a year ago and I have ridden them hard in all conditions with inner tubes. Never had any probs with punctures or flats even when hammering over big, sharp rocks. The black chili compound wears extremely well.

Not a huge fan of how they corner. It feels very on/off as you lean the bike over especially on hard surfaces. I have had three pretty big crashes in the last year and they have all been as a result of the front wheel hitting an off camber wet rock. I thought the black chili was supposed to be OK on slippery surfaces like that but I've got cuts and bruises that say otherwise.

2018
[Apr 13, 2020]
jbozo89

OVERALL
Strength:

Even with the ProTection sidewalls, I was able to cut one right at the bead rim. I guess I was running a lil' too much air.

Used
[Jan 31, 2019]
tilemachos

OVERALL
Strength:

soft ride, reasonably plush

way bigger than they state. the 2.4s , are almost equal to my wtb's 2.8s! short life

Price Paid:
2018
[Jul 11, 2018]
Jetta2010

OVERALL
Strength:

The grip is average to good

I got the 27.5x.2. on my wtb st i23 tcs rims, this was a royal b!tch to mount. had to use two tire levers and a butter knife and still had to wrestle it on. used stans sealant. My biggest complaint is that it never would hold air for 24 hrs. brand new mounted up it would hold air for several hrs. after less than 3/4 of a season it leaked air through the sidewalls uniformly. would only hold air less than 1 1/2 hrs. through another 2 oz of stans in and hopefully it holds long enough to find a replacement.

Price Paid:
$55
2017
[Jan 20, 2017]
Juan5010
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

fast rolling, good grip and light

Not good on dry conditions

I have used this tire for 1000 km and happy so far, its durability seems to be good. I ride the version 2.4 on muddy - wet trails. I never got a puncture. I like the predictable behavior of the tire. It is ok on loose and muddy terrains but a bit unpredictable on rooty surfaces (maybe the compound it not soft enough).

I would not recommend it for dry loose conditions, this tire needs a bit of "softness" in the ground for optimal grip.

Good for wet continental conditions, but not good for the sunny places where it never rains.

Continental Trail King

[Apr 27, 2015]
k2rider1964
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Traction

I had these in the 2.4 on my Pivot Mach 6 and they have been rockstars on traction for me. I've been very happy with their performance and will (already have) bought another. FWIW, I love in SoCal and ride all over the Western US. I have been using this as a rear tire.

[Jan 28, 2015]
Seth Botwick

OVERALL
Strength:

Decent grip and traction.

Durability

I used to swear by the Conti road tires. Bulletproof! I wanted a go-to tire for mtb so naturally I looked to Conti. Unfortunately, I looked in the wrong direction. During the tire's inaugural ride I hit a few gap jumps. After landing I thought I had bent my rim. Upon further investigation I found that the tire had broken somehow. They went out of true. Nothing I could do. Tire's ruined. I reached out to Conti and never received an answer.

Maxxis. Specialized.

[Sep 07, 2014]
brickwallmusic

OVERALL
Strength:

Great traction on rocks and roots
Never had any problems with leaks or sidewall issues

A little lacking in turning traction

Really good tire, great for doing a mix of AM and XC like its advertised. I find for mountain bike races in Saskatchewan, Canada they work great in all conditions. But I recently moved to Kelowna where the soil is a little different and I noticed a lot more slipping when going around corners when the ground is a little wet. They still work great in all other situations.

Kenda Nevegals
Continental Race King II protection

[Aug 23, 2014]
Rider8

OVERALL
Strength:

Traction is great. Tire wears well.

Sidewalls are too weak. Too heavy to race.

This review is for the 29er version of the tire setup tubeless. I love this tire. Great traction. Side knobs provide great cornering. Very predictable tire. It also wears well IMHO (I am 170#). However, this tire has a critical deficiency which is the sidewalls. Colorado front range trails are very rocky. Sidewall scuffs from riding rocky trails are a significant problem especially on the rear tire. Sidewall scuffs leak air badly. It is as if Continental put the air holding barrier on the outside of the sidewall of the tire as opposed to the inside. I keep having to add sealant to the tire to plug up the air leaking from the sidewall scuffs. If it weren't for this problem this would be the perfect all mountain tire. The search continues.

[Feb 09, 2014]
Thomas

OVERALL
Strength:

Grips like a monkey swinging from limb to limb. They are handmade in Germany. Most can't even say they are made anywhere in Europe.

Mounting the tire. Since they are UST they should be used as so. But they are difficult to mount in the beginning.

Yes, there are awesome tires. I like the fact they are quality, German made tires. Knobbies are excellent for climbs when you need them the most. Here is a bonus- they are tall. So you get a semi-29er tire. Yes, I said that. I have noticed a difference in tire travel on the high volume tires. Additionally they are a eye appealing tire. Sometimes (I'm completely sane by the way) I just enjoy looking at them- dirty or clean. One last note. The weakness is mounting the tire. If you run them UST you will pull your hair out trying to mount them- don't. Run then with tubes for a month to allow them to comply with the rim, then pull out your tube. Use an air compressor to seat the bead. Done. Excellent tire. Hope this helps.

Continental Trail King

• Available At

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.