Continental Grand Prix Tire

Best Price At

The Continental Grand Prix Tire is one of those timeless products that helped define the modern racing bicycle through its innovative clincher design. Since its inception in the late '80s, the Grand Prix has been significantly refined using advanced rubber compounds and an updated puncture...

[Dec 26, 2010]
francis
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

light and has low rolling resistance

difficult to mount

has a long mileage and low noise. for more than 1year i been using them every day from home to the office,that's almost 43kilometers back and fort.it is the best road tires for me

[May 12, 2010]
xyrion

OVERALL
Strength:

Awesome grip on dry and wet. Great road feel, induces confidence through corners and rolls like crazy on straights. Very fast tyre. Totally silent.

Difficult to mount. Pricey.

Awesome road tyre. Probably the best 26" for racers and commuters with a sweet tooth for speed.

It's supposed to be 100 g lighter (per piece) than my old Maxxis Detonators, but it almost felt heaver in my hands. Mounting it on was such a chore. Usually I can change a tyre in a few minutes, but this time it took me ages and I got blisters in the end. Very impractical -from now on I'll have to leave my tube mending kit/tyre levers at home and take them only when I leave the city (when I have no choice).

Acceleration through the first 6-7 meters from the stop hasn't changed for me, but the difference in the nex few m is very real. They really like to "roll" and you feel tempted to up the tempo all the time. ...all while being dead silent. I love how they produce no sound. I think that from now I'll scare even more people. :/ :)

My first downhill (road) brought a grin on my face. They are insanely fast and you have to mentally remind yourself to behave. Good brakes are a must! They pick up speed like crazy.

Cornering is why I bought these beauties. They managed to drive the sharpest angle of attack on dry road from 84 tyres tested in one review! They have lots of grip and you can brake harder while leaning and cornering. Great road control, very inspiring to drive. Smooth direction changes.

The ride is sporty but still comfortable. They absorb minor road irregularities very nicely and they won't tire you or bother you with the irrelevant stuff. You can even climb the sidewalks, but they are not made for that. You'll spontaneously start avoiding bigger stuff on the road. It still is a racing tyre. :)

All in all this is a great product and if you can afford it, go for it! It's fun, fast and guaranteed to make you smile. A real drivers tyre.

Maxxis Detonator

[Jan 09, 2009]
Danny Melancholy

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight (198gm on my scales) - lightest 26/650 x 1/25 tyre available.
Speed unreal
Grip (given width), even when wet
Absolutely minimal rolling resistance
Amazing durability
Folding
Responsive, quick turning

If over 110psi, none, IMO, unless you ride roads that are more stone chip than ashfelt, in which case ride is harsh (unless you have a Ti frame :¬)

If pressure under 90psi you risk both pinch and debris flats but Ive even got 3ft airs/drops (skatepark) on these with no probs, on a 1"/25c tyre! What more can you ask for?

Best 650/26" x 25/1" tyre there is. Full stop.
If you want speed and the lightest tyres possible on your 26/650 wheelset, there is no comparison. OK, so Ive not tried any other slicks (worth mentioning) but why bother when these are available? Overtaking roadies on 4K bikes with a mtb you can jump stairs on; lmao :¬)

However...if you arent good on the brakes, get scared on 1"/25c and dont like running over 100psi, get something else. But it will be heavier. And slower. And probably less grippy too. But these now.

None, but I bought the best first time around; thanks to the Weight Weenies site members!

[May 12, 2008]
Connor

OVERALL
Strength:

Very fast in 26 x 1.0 size-almost road bike speed, limited by MTB gearing. Pump 'em up to 120 psi! Seems more durable than the Hutchinson Top Slicks I have used-those will get slits and cuts in rubber after a very short time. These seem to wear very well.

$$ Pricy, hard to find even on the 'net. Noted some threads protruding from sidewall-keeping a close eye on this.

Can lose a few POUNDS with just a wheel change, and it totally transforms the road experience. On local roads and Denver bike trail system you are as fast as the roadies. However, must keep them pumped up to prevent pinch flats when I ride too aggressively on the street, and impossible to reach proper inflation pressure with my MTB road pump. Need to use a narrow XC rim to safely use the 1.0 size. 650c 18-25 tubes work great.

Hutchinson Top Slicks 26 x 1.0.

[Sep 16, 2007]
Aaron

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light! Mine weigh in at 206 grams on my postal scale. Thick enough to protect from road debris. They last quite a while.

Too expensive and can be very hard to find.

This is an awesome tire! I use them a lot in the fall when the trails are mostly closed due to too much rainfall. They're ridiculously light, so your MTB bike will feel like a road bike so long as you have a lockout, rigid fork, or pump the air chambers to max. They cost a lot for such a small tire, but I only use mine occasionally, so they last me for years. Get some Forte UltraLite tubes and you're all set to keep up with your roadie buddies.

Specialized Fatboy

[Mar 06, 2006]
Dale

OVERALL
Strength:

Very low rolling resistance. Awesome traction

Hard to find in stock, locally.

The tires were given to me because a guy said "they make my bike look heavy". Okay, free isn't bad in this case. I went to Lantau Island in Hong Kong, China and let me just say you can almost reach out and touch the road; the hills were that steep! On the way down, this set of tires hugged the road as if they were on roller coaster tracks. With the very low rolling resistance, I easily coasted to over 50mph downhill. Would I try that with a total slick? Perhaps but, cornering at those speeds...Ooo, I don't know! I did it with those and I never had a flat with them. Wear, only the sidewalls but after two years... okay!

Performance ST

[Mar 08, 2002]
Dave

OVERALL
Strength:

Super light weight, true 1.0, stury

- Fatboys: For going to the post office, riding over rough pavement and maybe a little dirt.

- Turbo ATBs - Great for the occasional century.

- Contis - They are awesome for staying up with friends who are fast on their road bikes. No doubt about it - these are the lightest, narrowest tires for making my mt. bike feel like my road bike. These tires are far lighter than any other 1.0 mt. bike tire designed for the road. Push on the pedals and acceleration is near instantaneous. Turn the handlebars and response is almost scary.

These tires add a new dimension to biking - they turn any mt. bike into thoroughbred hybrid. When they see my bike with the Contis on, bike riders will frequently ask me "What kind of bike is that?" Hybrid, maybe, cyclo-cross? Street machine? They're even more amazed when the pick up my bike and discover how light in weight it is with the Contis.

I don't baby these tires. They are not afraid of a little road debris or rough sections of pavement - for example, they've rolled over the rough "back road" above the Griffith Park Observatory, in Los Angeles - one of my favorite locations for a workout on the road - with nary a flat.

Five flamin' chilis - they are worth the whole enchilada!

Specialized Fatboys and Specialized Turbo ATBs (discontinued)

[Oct 26, 2003]
tr snith

OVERALL
Strength:

These are the best tires I have ever run, although the vaunted Conti durability against puntures is a laff,,the first ride, I flatted both tires in a slow leak situation. Since then, for five months,,no problem, oh,and did I say they were the fastest tire on earth!!!!

Not as good at flat protection as most say !

Great tire, and if you can get them at a reasonable price like I did, all the better. Dont buy if you are in a high broken glass area though, the flat resistance isnt as good as a heavier tire at all.

Spec fat boy, IRC Primos, etc

[Aug 06, 1999]
Ira Blumberg

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, narrow fast street tire

No kevlar belt leaves it vulnerable to flats

Great street tire, makes the bike feel and roll like a road bike. Narrow profile gives great handling. Minus one chili for no kevlar belt since I got a flat from a puncture at the border of the sidewall and tread.

Performance Fast City, Specialized Fat Boy

[Dec 23, 1999]
genghis
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

light, fast, puncture resistant, durable tread

sidewalls get abraded easily when used off-road (but they're not meant for this...)

I've been using a pair of 700x23C Kevlar bead GPs since 1992 (!) on my road bike, and they're still going. I have had zero punctures on this bike... The tyres are light, reasonably comfy, the tread is just starting to crack due to UV/ozone (but hasn't worn out in 20,000+++ km). The sidewalls don't hold up well to use on gravel; they tend to get frayed looking -- but still no flats...I would recommend any Conti tyres to anyone who doesn't like flats or wearing tyres out. I will probably replace these with GP3000's in 28C to get a softer ride, or use the new lightweight 23s for hilly rides.

Spec. Turbos (various), Michelin Hi-Lites, etc

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.