Continental Explorer Pro Tire

The Explorer Pro features the new Endless Edge tread block design, defining a new tyre generation for cross country and allround use. The tread pattern features reduced-profile five-cornered blocks in variable orientation, extending low onto the sidewall area for outstanding cornering control. The ExplorerPro boasts an extremely low weight and fine casing for smooth traction on roots and stones. Also available as ExplorerPro Dual and ExplorerProTection. size: 2.1

• 26 x 2.10 570 grams (wire) 515 grams (Kevlar)

• USER REVIEWS

[Nov 07, 2009]
    Anonymous

OVERALL
    Strength:

In the beginning it had great traction.

The nobs wore down very fast. I don't ride nearly as much as I like so my tires last usually 2-3 years. These wore down within 9 months and started to have nobs break off. They then started to crack down the middle.

I really wanted to like these tires and got a great deal on them, but they didn't live up to my expectations.

[Aug 01, 2009]
    Malamute

OVERALL
    Strength:

Only used it up front
    Cornering is amazing, great braking power

I only used this tire up front and less then a month only, tho im going to install these again as they pleased me very well.
    When cornering it didnt even think aboud comming loose, also when braking the tire doesnt hesitate for a second, the rolling ability is i cant really say alot aboud as i only used it in very muddy terain and only less then a month aswell.

the tire is an excelent choise for Xc riders who want a tire u can trust up front wich will not loose traction in any condition, tho for the ppl who are into agressive all mountain and freeride etc they are build to light imo

5chillies on value
    and another 5 for overall

Mountain kings, nobbie nics, and some older types

[Oct 12, 2008]
    schlim

OVERALL
    Strength:

**Review for PROtection DuraSkin version**
    Endless Edge side lugs are spectacular. 540g for a kevlar reinforced tire. Mounted dead straight in the rim with no wobbles. Ultra-fast through gravel and loose junk. Nice climbing traction from the rear. Great feeling of stability at higher speeds.

Pretty hard carcass, so comfort is somewhat lacking. Rolling resistance and vibration on the road, but I'd rather have off-road bite. As usual with Conti tires, closer to a 2.0 than a 2.1.

I grabbed these on a whim from Competitive Cyclist when I saw that they were closing out the 07 version of the Explorer Protection tires with the DuraSkin kevlar weave sidewalls.

The casing seemed pretty hard once mounted on the bike, which made me concerned about wheel deflection off of the terrain. I didn't have to worry, though. These tires bite every bit as well as my Conti Vertical Pro 2.3s.
    They aren't quite as soft and comfy, but they transmit the feel of the trail extraordinarily well.

Cornering grip is the most critical thing I look for in a tire, and these things have it in gobs. I cranked the bike over as hard as I could on some swoopy berms in gravel and assorted loose stuff. They didn't break loose. Occasionally I could feel the back tire skip a couple of inches before digging right back in. The same trail was ridiculously faster with the Explorers over the Panaracer Fire 2.1s. The bead is true and the tire mounted up straight on both tires the first time. The bead is tight enough that I think this could be run tubeless successfully if desired.

The Explorers are an older model tire that will probably be dropped eventually for the newer Mountain King-type Conti tires, but I'm pleased to have found them. Hopefully the newer tire designs will work as well for me.

Panaracer Fire XC 2.1, Fire FR 2.4, Rampage 2.3, Hutchinson Barracuda MRC UST 2.1, Kenda Nevegal UST 2.1, IRC Serac XC 1.9, IRC Mythos XC 2.1, Ritchey Z-Max Evolution 2.3, WTB Nano Raptor 2.1, Conti Vertical Pro 2.3

[Jul 08, 2003]
    G Naz

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light, good all around tire, Conti quality.

Not so good on some oif the trails I ride the most.

Everyone at my shop said these tires were outstanding, so I bought a pair. There pretty good. Hold well on hardpack, loose stuff, pretty decent in mud, dusty sand, loam... but one of the trail I frequent has damp, tack hardpack covered by damp fallen leaves, and here the Explorers sucked. For whatever reason, they would not hold a line. Any time the bike was put into even a mild corner, the front would feel like it was going to slip, and the back was washing oout all over the place. For the record, I do use these tires a lot on other conditions, where they work well. But on that particular trail, the Revolt Super-X's kick ass.

Bontrager Revolt Super-X (great hardpack tire) Bontrager Revolt SS, Bontrager Jones (sense a patter here?)

[Jun 21, 2003]
    Adam B

OVERALL
    Strength:

traction, low rolling resistance

price - this tire cost $80 Canadian, but it might be worth it

This is a really good front tire, I've been in 2 races, lots of trail rides and lots of commuting with this tire and no complaints with it yet. It corners really well, sheds mud quite well considering how close some of the knobs are, and it rolls quite fast for a full knobby tire. I used to ride with the Bontrager Revolt SS on the front but it didn't give me a lot of confidence in the corners although it is a super fast tire. I also had the Fire XC 1.8 on the front but I wanted something that would absorb the bumps better, and I'm finding the Explorer handles the corners better. I've never had problems with pinch flats with any of my tires, I think because I always keep them inflated to 40 psi and I weigh around 170 lbs. This tire is proving so good so far - I probably won't use anything else for a long time.

IRC Mythos (crap), Panaracer Trailblaster (crap), Panaracer Fire XC 1.8 (really good), Michelin Sprint (good semi-slick), Bontrager Revolt SS Front (good semi-slick).

[Aug 25, 2003]
    Joel

OVERALL
    Strength:

Super grip in most conditions, especially the rocky stuff. Light weight, rolls really well and holds up well.

These tires rock. I wasn't down with paying $40 for a tire, but I don't regret it now. I've ridden the hell out of this tire this summer and it still has good tread left. I love the side lugs on these tires, they just crawl right up the rocks.

Even on hard pack fast trails these tires roll really well, almost as well as a semi-slick.

Hutchinson Mosquito, numerous semi-slicks

[Jun 22, 2003]
    Ludwig

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light, Grippy

Dual Compound tire in black in yellow colour-coordinates with my bruises

Purchased tires for £25/pair and have been very pleased with them so far.

The tires have a rounded profile and deceptive looking small low profile knobbles.

Have used them on wet slick rock, sand and mud.

They consistently grip very well and slide progressively giving you plenty of warning.

Due to relatively small air volume, have suffered pinch punctures even when running reasonably high tire pressures on downhill sections (I believe that this is also probably down to the lightweight side walls).

However, as this is not a downhill specific tire - musn't grumble - a recommended purchase for XC, single track and light downhilling.

Specialized Ground Controls, Hutchinson Scorpion

[Jun 19, 2003]
    johnny walker

ELEVEN BUCKS?!?!?!?!?!

I'm moving to Hong Kong!

[Jun 17, 2003]
    kent

OVERALL
    Strength:

The explorer i am using isn't a "pro" version, so it has a wired inside.

light weight, fast rolling and dirty cheap. The grip is excellent on road, loose soil, rocks and roots. Seems the best all-around tire for x-country and daily use.

It seems to wear out quite fast.
    this tire doesn't grip very well on mud.

i've ride this rear tire for 4 months.

It was recommend by my LBS, it is cheap. i find this tire preforms very well, no matter is urban or at the mountain.
    I was thinking to buy the panaracer fire-xc pro, but unfortanately i can't find any of them at my LBS, so i give explorer a go and the result is excellent. I put explorer on the rear tire and it grips really really well.

As this price so dirty cheap i will definitely give it a 5 chilli and overall rating i will give it a 4 since it's wearing out fast and grip on mud can be done better.

final verdict: i wasting time on other xc tires? use explorer !

hutchinson python airlight

[Jun 12, 2003]
    mtnbikeco

OVERALL
    Strength:

Hooks up in all the conditions that the colorado mountains have dished out this year. Rain,Snow, Mud & hard pack.

Price which has always been this manufactires downside. But you do get what you pay for IRC last year $14 lasted half a season. Before a Lug broke off after rideing hard rocks.

The mountains of Co have been wet this year and I needed a tire that would last and stand up to the test. I'm very hard on my Eq. The Explorer Pro on the rear and the vertical Pro 2.3 on the front have provening to be the best combo that i could find. At 35 min to 42 max on tire pressure and depending on the conditions these tires rock. At 42 in loose sand you will feel the back end slip. Drop the pressure to 38 and NO Worries Man. Small sharp rock these tires like the pressure at 40(protect those rims). Mud conditions they clean out very well. That also depends on the type of mud to Utah and co both have very different styles of mud (from red clay to loomy loose wet sloopy mudslide up the back mud). Value alittle pricey so only 4 chilis

IRC, Specialized ground control, Panaracers fireXC pro.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.